User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outlets

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, it sounds like a pedestal problem. Reason being, you say everything works when you use 30 amp (with adapter) and you're missing outlets when using 50 amp (without adapter). When you are using the adapter, you are getting power from L1 on the pedestal and the adapter is splitting it to send power down L1 and L2 on your shore cord. When you are plugged in without the adapter, you SHOULD be getting L1 and L2 power directly. Sounds like you're missing one of those legs from the pedestal. BTW, I would highly recommend you invest in a quality surge protector, either plug in or hard wired. I installed a Progressive HW-50C. https://www.progressiveindustries.ne...ed-comparisons

On a side note, when you are using the 30 amp adapter, just be aware you have very limited power available. When using 50 amps, you actually have 100 amps available (50 amps on each leg). On 30 amps, 30 amps is split between the two legs (think like 15 amps on each leg, although that is an oversimplification).

Hope you get it sorted out.

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 10-23-2019 at 11:29 PM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John above has a lot of good insite. A few thoughts.... If your outlets work on 30 amp socket and not 50 amp my first thought would to be to check the power cord. A multi-meter set on resistance to check continuity on the plugs at both ends will do the trick.
    Next look at your fuse panel. If it's like mine there is only one circuit dedicated to 120v outlets and it's on one side of the power supply. You must have two. Because the 30 amp dog bone crosses the single hot leg to both hot legs of the the 50 amp cord the 30 amp plug works. Again back at the panel with your new multi-meter and check for voltage on both sides of the panel, paying attention to the panel breaker/s marked for 120v outlets.
    Another thing is I have counted at least 8 outlets on one 15 amp circuit in my trailer. I suspect all are protected by the one 15 amp GFCI.
    Since GD likes to keep these all on a single circuit they are wired as a daisey chain. You my need to check connections at each outlet to be sure they are all made and tight. If you can follow the sequence then it would be easier to isolate which one is a problem.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 10-31-2019 at 05:45 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am adding my opinion to this only because I have found and repaired many electrical repairs in the various mobile home parks near me. When I get a call that an entire section is out but there is no problem at the panel, here is what I do...

I plug something that draws a heavy load, like an electric heater or something similar, into plug(s) that are not working. I then go around to EVERY outlet in the house, working or not, and bang hard on the wall near each outlet. My theory is that each of these outlets is daisy-chained to each other, and one of them has a loose or burnt connection. This problem is much more prevalent with the cheap plastic outlets with the "push-type" connections. Over time with high electrical loads these connections become hot and weak and ultimately fail, hopefully without starting a fire!. I have been very lucky to the problem every time this way. Try doing this...

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
    I have lost power to the Outlets in the bedroom and two in living room. I've checked breakers, fuses all good. Is there a fuse I'm missing. Tx
    This is a long explanation so sorry. To save time and money when wiring receptacles Electricals will piggy back from one receptacle to another receptacle in a line or series, rather than the best way which is to wire the receptacles with pig tails and make the positive and neutral conductor one solid connection with a wire nut. If a connection or receptacles goes bad all of the down stream loads will not have power. Find out which receptacles are feed with a certain circuit. Start testing them you will find one in the line is bad and everything down stream will not have power. Pull the cover from the next in line without power and that should be your culprit replace the receptacle or fix the connection and this should fix the issue. I hope this helps.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure that all of the AC breakers are all closed? Sometimes a breaker is thrown open but it looks closed. I'd turn every AC breaker off and then on again just to see if that doesn't fix the issue. If that doesn't work and
    you can't find an open GFI or blown fuse then I'd start opening up AC outlets one at a time to see if there are any loose wires. Outlets are typically daisy chained together, meaning one is fed from another (Black to Black, white to white). The wires can be under screws on the outlets or pushed into the back of the outlets with some sort of internal clip holding the wire in. I'm not a fan of the push in type of outlets because the wires sometimes fall out due to vibration. Just make sure that the trailer is not connected to AC when you do this. It wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery as well.

I hope this helps

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is capable of either. If I am at a 30 I use a pig tail adapter that came w the trailer. This weekend I was plugged into a 50 no adapter and I experienced problems. I tried hooking up to a 30 and no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Are you sure that all of the AC breakers are all closed? Sometimes a breaker is thrown open but it looks closed. I'd turn every AC breaker off and then on again just to see if that doesn't fix the issue. If that doesn't work and
    you can't find an open GFI or blown fuse then I'd start opening up AC outlets one at a time to see if there are any loose wires. Outlets are typically daisy chained together, meaning one is fed from another (Black to Black, white to white). The wires can be under screws on the outlets or pushed into the back of the outlets with some sort of internal clip holding the wire in. I'm not a fan of the push in type of outlets because the wires sometimes fall out due to vibration. Just make sure that the trailer is not connected to AC when you do this. It wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery as well.
    I think the first quote above is the key. If it works on a 30 amp pedestal then there are no problems with the outlets being connected correctly.

As someone else mentioned, it looks like a 50 amp pedestal issue.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tt is a 2017 Reflection 297rsts. I plugged into a 30 amp and everything works. Plug into 50 and battieries don't charge and plugging are limited to living room. Cannot figure out why. Please help.

Sorry I missed this quote. I totally agree that its probably a power pole issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12