User Tag List

Thread: Radio reception

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radio reception

We have a 349M with a Jensen radio receiver and the radio reception is terrible I have a hard time getting reception in the hills or in town, especially on AM stations is this a common problem?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most AM radios made today are absolute garbage. Little sensitivity, nearly useless antennas and with the inherent noise problems of all AM receivers.

Get yourself a C.Crane radio.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have always had good luck with radios made by Sangean as well. AM radio in rv is junk. We have good reception with fm though. I carry around a weather radio by sangean for safety but will also turn it on to listen to several am sports radio programs and it has very good reception.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last weekend, by coincidence I discovered that the TV antenna booster affected radio reception. I too thought the Jensen radio was terrible when I looked for stations in the past. In the process of loading last weekend I had the radio on and turned off the amp for the antenna and instantly lost radio reception. Maybe this is already known to others, but news to me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was about to suggest what @jawden said, the FM antenna appears to be the King roof top in my unit, big difference if it is turned on. Have not been able to see if there is an antenna for the AM part of the Jensen. Might be a case of just pointing it a certain way, which is pretty much impossible without moving the trailer.

EDIT - BTW, the King roof top antenna is not tuned for standard AM. The trailer is a metal cage so you need to get an antenna outside of the unit that receives the much longer wavelength of AM. That’s why folks above had success with whip antennas.

I’m betting the Jensen has an internal coil antenna - if you could get the Jensen receiver outside the trailer, not a practical solution, it would work just like you $10 transistor radio for AM.
    Last edited by Skiddy; 11-16-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have to have booster turned on to get radio stations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AM is susceptible to noise because noise affects amplitude, which is where information is "stored" in an AM signal.