User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 2670MK. Towing questions

After going back and forth between a fifth wheel and a TT, we decided on the TT. As we get older, the lack of steps inside is a real plus. It’s not the climbing of them, but rather the falling in the middle of the night that bothers me. 👨**🦳

We are going back and forth between the Reflection 297RSTS and the Imagine 2670 MK. My questions are for those that have one of these.

Do you pull it with a ProPride or Hensley hitch? If so, what is your experience with the hitch.

Have you measured the tongue weight?

The 2670 MK has a scaled down nautilus water management system. Is it an issue because of it?

Lastly, what are you towing it with and how does it affect your mileage?

Sorry for all the questions, but we hope to buy our first and last travel trailer.

Btw, we love the desk in the Imagine. That is a big plus in our decision making process.

Thanks in advance,

Pat
    Pat and Rose
    2019 F-250 XLT 6.7 L diesel, long box

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pat,

I’ll try to answer as best I can.

We do use a ProPride. Had a Blue Ox at first and about got out of RV-Ing. Apparently the 2670 is fairly tail heavy from the factory and that affects towability.

We have not measured tongue weight. That may have had something to do with the Blue Ox sucking, but we tried putting everything up front and filling the fresh water but it was still bad. ProPride solved the issue so I never weighed it.

Never used a full sized Nautilus, so can’t compare. No issues with the water system though.

We tow with a 2000 7.3L Excursion. Mileage goes from about 16 unloaded to 10.5 towing. I’m guessing your 6.7 long bed will have a better go of it. Relatively speaking, the Excursion has a shorter wheelbase than most full size pickups and may have also contributed to poor towability with the Blue Ox.

We love the layout. First TT we went in that felt like a 5th wheel. We were looking at the 2150 and drove away with this one.
    Last edited by ArmyLifer; 10-20-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the ProPride hitch. With all the people working from the road, I am surprised at the lack of tt with desks.

Thanks again
    Pat
    Pat and Rose

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've related this several times in the forums, but to be brief -
    I originally tried an Andersen "No Sway" hitch. Terrible. Way too much trailer for that hitch.
    Also, my 2670MK was way too light on the tongue - about 11% loaded for camping, with full water (which is up front, so contributes to TW). Sway is pretty scary when it happens!
    Got the ProPride, and am very happy with it. It is very heavy. Current TW is about 950 lbs, or 12.5%. No sway, ever.

I can feel some side wind gusts, and "truck suck" a bit when being passed by semi's. But nothing scary - still can easily drive one handed. I plan to relook at my setup this spring, I may be just a bit nose up on the trailer and/or am not running my airbags optimally, which probably will fix the mentioned issues.
    My truck is an F-150, Heavy Duty Payload, Ecoboost - so the big tires, heavy suspension, payload higher than many 250's (2166 lbs).

Gas mileage after about 6,000 miles averages 8.5 mpg. We have not tested it on big "out west" grades, but it handles all the East Coast ones we've been on very well.

I had a smallish 5th before, same weight, about 30 ft. That got 10.5 mpg over 14,000 miles (same truck). I blame the aerodynamics of a TT for the difference.

I would strongly suggest getting from ProPride rather than Hensley - Jim Hensley (the designer) was forced out of his namesake company and gets nothing from it. He teamed up with ProPide, where he does get some reward for his invention.

While mine has a "fresh/city" water lever, it really isn't a Nautilus panel like some of the higher priced GD units come with. I've never had an issue. I've seen reports where flipping the lever when there is pressure in the system can unseat an 0-ring, causing it to continuously fill the water tank even on city water. Usually relieving pressure and flipping the lever a few times fixes it. On rare occasions, the valve has to be taken apart and a new o-ring installed. An easy job for anyone who has fixed a home faucet before.
    Last edited by sande005; 10-20-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow our 2670 with a 2015 F-250 SRW crewcab, 6.7L diesel. I use an Equalizer with the 1400# bars. The last time I was at the scales my tongue weight (calculated) was 1100.

Edit: calculated means: combined_truck&trailer - truck_only = trailer_gross. Trailer_gross - trailer_axle_weight = tongue_weight.

My MPG while towing is in the 10-11 range.

I've had no issues at all (since August delivery) with the water panel.
    Last edited by Gimpyknee; 10-21-2019 at 10:01 AM.
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 2670MK that we've had out a few times since purchasing it. Our neighbor gave us one of those hitches that has a dial that supposedly shows tongue weight. As it came from the dealer with about a 1/3 tank of freshwater, the tongue weight showed 900-1000#. So far, we have pulled it without a WD/Sway setup. May go to that on down the road as we get more experienced. We're pulling the TT with a 2018 Ram 3500 with the Cummins 6.7/Aisin/3.42 combo and it has had no problems. Wish the pickup had come with the 3.73 or 4.11 but so far so good. We get around 10-11 MPG so far. The pickup has a whopping 3700 miles on it. I didn't find the Nautilus clone (or whatever this mess is) impressive in the least. Discovered how chintzy it was when I went to do winterization on the rig. This is a fairly well-known shortcoming with the 2670 and I'll be rebuilding mine this Spring. The low-point drains are another disappointment. Not freeze-hardy but thankfully made of Pex tubing which is somewhat freeze tolerant. The fresh water drain is PVC and appears just as susceptible to freezing. PVC is not frost-tolerant and suspect we may lose our fresh water when the drain pipe/valve busts in cold weather camping. Guess we'll see.

Despite my above complaints, the floor plan is awesome and it tows well...even though we haven't ponied-up for the Cadillac hitch options (yet). The fauxplace...er, fireplace...puts out a surprising amount of heat and, other than my concerns expressed above, we've not found a single other problem with this new and somewhat untested but rigourously inspected rig.

BTW, my towing comments may be jaded by the fact that we are used to hauling a slide-in camper that weighs about 2500+ lbs and that bad boy is ponderous and extremely wind sensitive.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't own either of the trailers that you are looking at, but we do use a Hensley Arrow hitch, so I thought I'd chime in. We own a Transcend 26RLS which is very similar in size and weight to the 2670MK and we tow it with a 2018 RAM 2500 CTD. My tongue weight is 900 lbs when loaded and my gas mileage is about 12 MPG. So far this year we've towed the trailer just over 4000 miles and without a single issue. The hitch performs just like advertised with absolutely no sway at all. We've towed with very very strong winds without issue. It towed better than I hoped for and in my humble opinion it was worth every penny that we spent for it. We purchased a refurbished Hensley Arrow directly from Hensley. It was a lot cheaper and it came with a full life time warranty. Hensley routinely buys back their hitches when ever they can. They replace all of the bushing and bearings, etc., repaint it and resell them. The only other hitch that I'd consider is the ProPride. Both were designed by Jim Hensley. I believe that the ProPride is a more modernized version of the Hensley Arrow. All of the other hitches that I looked all reacted to the sway AFTER it occurred. The Hensley and ProPride both prevent it before it occurs. Both are a tad tricky when hitching up, but once you figure it out its easy.

I wish you the best of luck!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I appreciate your insight with the Hensley hitch. We know we are going to get a ProPride. Now we just have to decide on the tt.

Pat
    Pat and Rose

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all! my first post. I am picking up a 2018 Imagine 2670MK on Friday.

I am trading in a 2017 Rockwood Roo 23ikss, I use a Hensley Arrow. I originally had a Blue Ox, but just could not get rid of sway. The Hensley corrected that 100%.

I noticed one of the replies said that Jim Hensley (the inventor and patent holder) was forced out of his company, however that is not the case. He never had that company, he licensed Hensley Mfg to make the hitch, and still gets a cut of every one they sell. Same deal with ProPride, same design with just enough changes to allow them to market their own. Sean at ProPride used to work at Hensley, and I guess the split was not pretty.

Both do the same thing, and do it very well. Hensley offered me a 12 month payment plan, so I went with them. Terry at Hensley is awesome to work with. Just my 2 cents worth!

My new (to me) Imagine was only used one season, the husband passed away suddenly and the wife has never towed anything. Campers Inn sold it to me on consignment for her so she can pay off the loan. I am really looking forward to using it as we are retiring soon and hope to do some traveling.

Dave

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterpiano View Post
    Hi all! my first post. I am picking up a 2018 Imagine 2670MK on Friday.

I am trading in a 2017 Rockwood Roo 23ikss, I use a Hensley Arrow. I originally had a Blue Ox, but just could not get rid of sway. The Hensley corrected that 100%.

I noticed one of the replies said that Jim Hensley (the inventor and patent holder) was forced out of his company, however that is not the case. He never had that company, he licensed Hensley Mfg to make the hitch, and still gets a cut of every one they sell. Same deal with ProPride, same design with just enough changes to allow them to market their own. Sean at ProPride used to work at Hensley, and I guess the split was not pretty.

Both do the same thing, and do it very well. Hensley offered me a 12 month payment plan, so I went with them. Terry at Hensley is awesome to work with. Just my 2 cents worth!

My new (to me) Imagine was only used one season, the husband passed away suddenly and the wife has never towed anything. Campers Inn sold it to me on consignment for her so she can pay off the loan. I am really looking forward to using it as we are retiring soon and hope to do some traveling.

Dave
    Sorry, I got it wrong about the actual ownership.
    According to the ProPride site, Jim earned royalties from the start of the Hensley company in 1994 only up until 2007. ("For the next 14 years Jim received a royalty" which works out to be 1994-2007) They then say: "the relationship between Jim and the company named after him was severed during the middle months of 2007", which implies an unwilling separation. Their version of the story is at: https://www.propridehitch.com/the-ji...ey-hitch-story
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast