User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Anyone have a Furrion Observation camera?

Saw this setup at the camping store and it looks pretty sweet. My 320g is prewired for their side and rear camera so I am considering pulling the trigger.

However, the rear camera looks like it might be impeded by the rear awning. Does anyone have this setup with rear awning?

Side cameras look useful for backing in on the non mirror side. I have read that the 4 camera view won't stay on for more than 15 seconds at a time so pretty useless as an "observation" while driving.

Also, for a Ram HD, is a 7" monitor too large? The 5" seems like it would fit better, but bigger is helpful too. I like the 4 camera system and I would put the 4th camera in the garage for the cargo.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the five inch display Furrion, FOS05TA. It has lots of features I’ll never use (that I can think of at the moment) it was plug and play. Operates off the marker lights so when you want it on, you just turn on the lights, want it off, turn the lights off.
    Good night vision and easy to adjust the view elevation. Got a great deal on it, 1/2 price with full warranty, at a Camping world, someone had bought it but decieded the 7 inch display would be better as they wanted three cameras. The five inch also accepts many cameras but the display gets a bit cluttered with four views on it.
    Bonus was my TV has a spot on the dash where it sits using the table mount. Very happy with this unit.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I might cut 2 squares of each size to see how placement works.

Heres the back of the rig for reference.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Furion on the back of my 397th with a rear awning and it works fine...
    John & Kathie
    2016 Momentum 397TH
    2017 Dodge 3500 Dually Air Bags, Mag Hytec Trans. Pan & rear Diff. cover
    Reese Goosebox
    2010 CVO Street Glide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved my Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL setup to my new 320G over from my previous travel trailer. The mount gives you 180 coverage and no interference with the awning. Total install time, 12 minutes including putting the ladder back in the shed. I've owned my Furrion for just over 3 years and it works great. Don't expect high definition full motion video, but it works good enough to watch what is going on behind the trailer when driving. Got to warn ya though, sometimes its best not to see what's going on back there. When I drive in heavy traffic in urban areas, I refer to the Furrion as my "Idiot Cam".

FWIW, the performance is good. I put around 8K on my old trailer with it on every trip. It did cutout a few times on long trips for a few seconds here and there, otherwise worked like a champ. Since i moved it to my 320G, not one issue. Guessing my travel trailer was causing some interference.

I've bought a few add-ons I later regretted however this camera is a no brainer. Great for backing into tight campsites, even at night.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed on my 397TH with the rear awning installed. Cannot see about 4-5 feet directly behind the rig. I'm hoping that will suffice for backing. Not an issue when driving.
    Unfortunately I got only one side camera to pair today... but at least the one that works - I can see the side of the trainer (barely).. Now need to research how to get the other one to work.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 5” display observation unit on my 350M. The awning doesn’t interfere with the view when being used for watching traffic behind you. I plan to mount a second camera in the bed of my truck for the purpose of viewing my Goosebox during hitching. I’m very happy with mine.
    Chuck & Trish
    2017 350M
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW
    2014 HD Roadking

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So I ended up getting the 7" screen. There was enough room running it side by side with my 7" GPS on my Ram 2500. It did not block any of the road over the hood bulge.

I got the 4 camera system. The side cameras are pretty useless because there is no frame of reference. I can't tell where the vehicles are in relation to my trailer.

The backup camera was a godsend though. The awning did block it some, so I had to angle the camera up a little more. I can't tell where the back of the trailer is as a result when looking at the camera. There was a little delay while traveling, but it worked great as a result. Just as I saw the person on the screen starting to pass me, they would be right at the front of my trailer. It was incredible helpful to see what was going on behind me and when people were passing me. It allowed me to keep my eyes straight on the road and glancing at the screen, vs turning my head to constantly check my mirrors.

I mounted the 4th camera in the garage and tied it to the awning light. I was able to flip it on while traveling to keep an eye on my load.

Amazon was running a prime special @ $650 for the whole 4 camera system. That was about $200 cheaper than anywhere else. If I were to do it again, I would had just gotten the backup + one for the garage. Pricing them separately right now that would had been over $650 though.

Using the backup as a backup was somewhat useful. The angle is so wide it's hard to get a frame of reference where the corners of the trailer actually are. One of the sites we had the deck out and I was backing it up over a stream. It looked like I was going to hit the tree, but when I got out, I was a good 10 feet away.

The microphone isn't that hot being 13' up in the air. It was more helpful than not having one though. It's best feature is using it as an observation while driving.

backup:
    garage: