User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Setting up and breaking camp is like everything else , the more you do the more streamlined it becomes. We do 3-4 trips a year of 2 weeks or so. Those take a little more pre-trip prep. Our weekenders tend to be 3-4 nights. We leave everything but food and clothes in the RV so it’s pretty much ready to hook up and go.
    Keep at it , Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up until this past year most of our camping trips were 2 nights -7 nights. As you get used to your set up and tear down things will get easier. You'll find tricks and ideas to make things go smoother. I was bad about over packing and making sure everything was set up that we could possibly need even if we didn't do it. I have relaxed in that and now just set up what I feel like, if we need something that's not set out then we'll get it out then. We usually travel with a group of people or have people meeting us if that's the case I'll let them help set up and take down stuff. Pretty much I put out the bare minimum of stuff and add or subtract things as we need them.

I have found on overnight stops in-between travel days on longer trips or even just a night or 2 away I prefer to get pull through sites. If they are level I don't even unhook the truck, just lower the front jack to take a bit of weight off the truck and now that I have the electric stabilizer Jack's I'll put those down. Always hook up water, electric, and sewer mostly because I enjoy a nice long shower after driving all day.

I guess I am a little spoiled being able to have my trailer right outside my door with full hook-ups. Keep it ready to go at a moment's notice. When we get home laundry goes in, gets washed, and what we don't need on a daily basis goes back in and get out away. As far as cleaning we dust, sweep, vacuum, usually just before we leave. It's stocked like the house so really the only things we have to load and unload is food (cold, although if we have multiple trips planned usually a dedicated set of trailer condiments is left in the fridge), clothes, and medicine. The only other things are the Crock-Pot and electric griddle, they have a dedicated home in the trailer and one in the house so that whichever place it gets used last is where it lives till the next trip or time it's needed. Another perk of having the trailer right outside the back door, can always run out and barrow something from it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the tips. The ones that really hit home relate to our short trip duration and minimizing work. I did not think we were overpacking or over-planning, but you all offer tips to even further reduce the burden.

I have been doing setup and takedown pretty much by memory. A memory from someone with no experience. I had actually planned to make a setup/takedown checklist to be more efficient. Does anyone have one they would be willing to share? I could customize it to my needs. It would help speed me up on that task.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When short term camping (2 to 5 days) we keep it simple.. put out a tablecloth , 2 chairs and a small table outside. Use the nuwave cooktop and a grill for cooking outdoors and that is it, maybe a small door mat too. We don't put anything other than coffee stuff on the counter inside. Makes moving day much faster and easier.

We never unpack, lucky enough that the couple/few month we aren't in it's sitting plugged in with the fridge still mostly loaded with condiments. If something I want to wear is out in the trailer I just go get it. Then it gets put back when we leave.

Keep your meals easy and cook outdoors, that makes clean up a breeze. Use what ever plates you wish..if we don't have sewer we use paper.

Just remember the more you put out both in and out the more work you will have when it's time to leave
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We keep our RV loaded with most everything we need to camp. When we are taking a trip, all we add is a food and clothes. However, if we are travelling over four or five hours and less that a couple of days we don't camp. Normally though, we plan trips over long weekends with an added day or so on either end. Fortunately for us, we have several nice places to camp that are less than two hours away.

Even though we've camped for over 45 years, I sort of feel your pain right now. We bought our first fifth wheel in June and getting into a rig up rig down routine has been a learning experience. It is getting better each time we venture out.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to have a set up/take down list but always kept forgetting to look at it. 2 things are a must.

First thing you do is level and chock and the last thing is to reverse that and a safety check of truck and trailer .

In no particular order...

Always remember to put down the antenna if it was used, tie up the shower doors and make sure the floors are clear for the slides to come in.

I strap the kitchen faucet so it can't go on on bumpy roads..the time it is not done the water pump gets left on (it happens because I forgot to check the list) Lost my farberware coffee pot to a sink flood the pot rides in the sink between stops to that mishap).

If you have any finiky cabinet doors secure those too.

Make sure the dog water dish is emptied

Take down the hanging shower rack before securing the door.

All this takes very little time once you have your routine going, remember keep it simple and enjoy!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a bit of "divide and conquer" strategy for setup and takedown at the campsite. Most setup and takedown tasks are easily done by one person - I typically do most of the exterior stuff, and my wife typically does most of the interior stuff. When setting up, there are a handful of exterior things that need to be done before everything else, so my wife will usually take the kids to explore the campground since they're itching to get out of the truck and stretch their legs. By the time they get back to the campsite I've usually got enough stuff done so that my wife can start taking care of interior tasks. With both of us working on separate tasks simultaneously, it all gets knocked out pretty quickly. It took a little while to work out what the critical path was, but now we've got a better handle on what order the tasks need to happen in, and we don't get so frustrated by trying to do things out of order or being in each other's way (i.e. "I can't do _____ yet because I'm waiting for you to finish _____.").
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    We use a bit of "divide and conquer" strategy for setup and takedown at the campsite.
    This is what I need to develop with my wife. I think developing a task checklist to begin with will help me organize what needs to be done and in what order and who would perform those tasks. In short order it will become habit.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    I have been doing setup and takedown pretty much by memory. A memory from someone with no experience. I had actually planned to make a setup/takedown checklist to be more efficient. Does anyone have one they would be willing to share? I could customize it to my needs. It would help speed me up on that task.
    A checklist is good and highly recommended. I recommend making your own list as you go through your setup/teardown so you commit to memory the steps and always do everything in the same order. If you are new to trailers I would recommend that you setup and teardown multiple times in a row. Repetition. Repeat until you have a routine down. If you are at a full hookup site even better since you can do the utilities and stow the hoses. Once comfortable with the routine then move the trailer and back it in and do a setup. Repetition is your friend. The same with backing. Do it over and over. The problem with learning to RV is large gaps of time between all the steps. We have been doing this fulltime for seven years and move every week or two so the checklist is a mental one and not written down but it is still a checklist. If we don’t move for a month I have to be careful to not miss anything. Also when doing your setup/teardown DO NOT talk to people. RVes are a friendly crowd and when you pull in or ready to leave they may want to talk. This will distract you from the task at hand and can cause you to miss a critical step. If you do something wrong and drop your trailer, that is a big deal.
    Last edited by J&J___; 10-25-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J___ View Post
    The same with backing. Do it over and over.
    Backing. OMG! I used to be an ace backing equipment trailers and boats. Never thought I would have a problem at all with this trailer. Not anything alike. I struggle every time. The last stay was a pull through. I don't care as much for pull-thru sites, but it was worth it for stress relief.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast