User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    That's super interesting/helpful Steve. When I swapped out Westlakes for Sailun in March the tire manager at Snider Fleet Services in Raleigh said to run them around 105-110psi. After the first one shedded it's tread at 4318 miles I replaced it with another Sailun and the tire manager at Les Schwab said pretty much the same pressure. The second Sailun shedded it's tread this past Saturday I got it swapped with another Sailun today and the tire manager at BigOTire (who sells a ton of Sailun) said exactly same, maintain at 110psi! I tried to debate potential hot temperatures requiring less pressure but he would have none of it....so I'm beside myself at this stage. I'll probably just run them at 105 and see when the next one sheds another tread.

Forgot to mention, I'm going to bite the bullet next week and get 4 new Provider's installed.
    I ran then at 110 for all the years that I had them. They ran cool and never lost air.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    I ran then at 110 for all the years that I had them. They ran cool and never lost air.

Are you a salesman for the tire company? I asked because all tires increase in pressure while in work (e.g. driving down the road, all tires warm, they don't cool) and all tires lose air over time. Meh
    Last edited by CaptPicardo; 09-13-2021 at 09:03 PM.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you a salesman for the tire company? I asked because all tires increase in pressure while in work (e.g. driving down the road, all tires warm, they don't cool) and all tires lose air over time. Meh
    No...just saying they were good tires. I had several sets of them and drove many miles. Of course they go up and down with temperature...I guess I'm missing any point you may have been making. Thanks.

Last edited by DECelt; 09-16-2021 at 05:18 PM.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    No...just saying they were good tires. I had several sets of them and drove many miles. Of course they go up and down with temperature...I guess I'm missing any point you may have been making. Thanks.

Thanks DECelt. Seems like quality dropped after they started production in Vietnam. Long history of success but seems to have changed over last year.

Who's in for creating our own company for US made RV tires!
    Last edited by CaptPicardo; 09-16-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always run my tires at the maximum load based on what is on the tire. Had Sailuns on my Alpine and always ran them at 110 psi cold pressure. By the way, the Alpine came with Providers from the factory and I drove the trailer home and immediately put on the Sailuns. Solitude came with Westlake G's and those are also 110 psi. Were at 110 psi from the dealer too. Both brands run around 125 to 128 psi when hot going down the highway. Under inflated tires can have dramatic heat build and cause blowouts. I want to avoid that at all costs so stick to the rating on the tire itself.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's super interesting/helpful Steve. When I swapped out Westlakes for Sailun in March the tire manager at Snider Fleet Services in Raleigh said to run them around 105-110psi. After the first one shedded it's tread at 4318 miles I replaced it with another Sailun and the tire manager at Les Schwab said pretty much the same pressure. The second Sailun shedded it's tread this past Saturday I got it swapped with another Sailun today and the tire manager at BigOTire (who sells a ton of Sailun) said exactly same, maintain at 110psi! I tried to debate potential hot temperatures requiring less pressure but he would have none of it....so I'm beside myself at this stage. I'll probably just run them at 105 and see when the next one sheds another tread.

Forgot to mention, I'm going to bite the bullet next week and get 4 new Provider's installed.
    You are very unlucky because I have not read any first hand accounts of Sailuns failing. The same tire position failed twice?
    Why are you looking at Providers?

I am fixing to replace my Westlakes on the Momentum and I always use Sailuns but I am open to other brands.
    The local tire shop sells Transeagles. Another one has Hercules.

Sailuns have gone up $60-70 per tire in the past 12 months
    Last edited by Ranchertx; 09-21-2021 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Add

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Deb View Post
    I'm unclear what you guys are reading on the chart to lead you to run your tires at those levels.

To start my trailer weighs 13,500 lbs and carries 2,300 lbs on the pin. My tires are the ST235/85R16 version. This means my tires need to carry approximately 2,800 lbs each.

First let me repeat here as I've posted this before, I wrote directly to Sailun with my weights and they responded that I could run as low as 50 psi "plus 5 - 10 psi higher than the calculated pressure for some added safety."

At the weights you guys are reporting you seem to be way over inflating your tires.

Here's another comment directly from Sailun: "You will want to stay pretty close to this recommendation for ride comfort and to achieve good tire wear. Don’t worry, the tire is engineered for this pressure for the load. The reason the max is 110 psi is the tire is used in some commercial applications that require the additional load carrying capacity."

So my question to you all is why are you inflating so high even when you see the above chart? I'm sincerely asking.
    Good morning Poppy - found this old post and thought I'd pick your brain for a minute.

I'm in the process of putting on new Sailun S637's. The old set of 637's gave me 40K miles of trouble free service and I wanted to go with them again. I've read that people run the tires are high pressures, and I'm like you, it seems like overkill.

I have 10,600 pounds running on the axles and for simplicity, figure 5,000 for the curb side and 5,600 for the street side, or about 2,500 and 2,800 pounds per tire of load. According to the Sailun chart, 65psi would give me 3,200 lbs of carrying capacity. 80 psi would give 3,640 of carrying capacity.

I'm trying to find that sweet spot and am thinking of staying at 80psi. I think the ride for the camper would be better and with the robust structure of the Sailuns, the heat buildup would be minimal.

Any suggestions? And thanks in advance for your time.
    Tim & Lisa
    2012 Silverado SRW LB 3500 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, IS, Kodiak Discs

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timlisajax View Post
    Good morning Poppy - found this old post and thought I'd pick your brain for a minute.

I'm in the process of putting on new Sailun S637's. The old set of 637's gave me 40K miles of trouble free service and I wanted to go with them again. I've read that people run the tires are high pressures, and I'm like you, it seems like overkill.

I have 10,600 pounds running on the axles and for simplicity, figure 5,000 for the curb side and 5,600 for the street side, or about 2,500 and 2,800 pounds per tire of load. According to the Sailun chart, 65psi would give me 3,200 lbs of carrying capacity. 80 psi would give 3,640 of carrying capacity.

I'm trying to find that sweet spot and am thinking of staying at 80psi. I think the ride for the camper would be better and with the robust structure of the Sailuns, the heat buildup would be minimal.

Any suggestions? And thanks in advance for your time.
    Use this formula:

Tire actual weight load/ tore max capacity x max pressure = pressure required at a lower load.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchertx View Post
    Use this formula:

Tire actual weight load/ tore max capacity x max pressure = pressure required at a lower load.
    Thanks Ranchertx. That formula gives me a 63% and using that to the max 110 psi pressure gives me 70psi. At 70 psi, the Sailun chart says the max load on the tire is 3,360 which is well in capacity for the the 2,800 pound load.

I think 70psi would work also, but again am concerned about heat buildup. Perhaps the head buildup isn't as bad on a LRG tire vs. a LRE? Dunno. Thougthts?
    Tim & Lisa
    2012 Silverado SRW LB 3500 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, IS, Kodiak Discs

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have run them many miles at lower pressure's without issues. The heat comes from load and sidewall flex, but at the pressure you are saying you want to use it will not be an issue.

Over inflating just causes unnecessary wear to the trailer because of a harsh ride.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast