User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone changed out their recliners or u-shaped dinette?

When we bought the 2500RL we thought we had the ideal floor plan. Now, after only three trips we are wondering. What does not work for us-
    • Tv does not adjust well for recliners. At best it is in your face
    • Recliner material feels very plasticky. Not like leather at all
    • U-Shaped Dinette is a great location to watch the TV, but horrible seating-wise
    • For us, the U-shaped dinette has turned in to glorified countertop storage

Has anyone had similar issues and made changes to their trailer?
    Last edited by SJMaye; 10-21-2019 at 06:21 AM.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We mostly ate off our laps or at picnic tables in our previous camper. We ordered our 323BHS with the SuperSofa option. That's a wallhugger leather loveseat with right hand and left hand wallhugger recliners attached. With wide arm rests, the whole rig is almost 12' long. It also comes with a table with folding legs.

Unfortunately, the leather on our seats are delaminating--like has been so prevalent in Grand Design furniture. Replacement furniture at RecCon is about $2K. We plan to eventually order Lazy Boy couch and recliner to replace our furniture. It's one of the few upholstered brands that the backs can be removed so the furniture can fit through a RV's relatively small door.

We don't miss the dinette or table/chairs at all.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the dinette taken out of our Reflection 285BHTS. We were able to fit the right and left power recliners as well as a center recliner in our dinette are, tight fit but is does fit and everything works well. We were unable to match the trifold sofa that we had and ordered a new matching one and the recliners through camping world. I will say ordering through camping world was less for all 4 pieces then our dealer quoted for the 3 piece sofa alone. Everything was very light and easy to put into the trailer myself, was shipped freight and delivered to the door.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife and I are planning on a 28BH, first thing to go is the dinette, probably going to get a theater type couch with the center that folds down

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We started off in a TT with the booth/table setup. We never used ours either. When we went a little bigger, we made the decision we didn't need it, and instead opted for the theater seating. No looking back, it was the right choice for us without any question. Even on a long trip, or in bad weather, the table that came with it is ample, and otherwise we eat outside.

Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Unfortunately, the leather on our seats are delaminating--like has been so prevalent in Grand Design furniture. Replacement furniture at RecCon is about $2K. We plan to eventually order Lazy Boy couch and recliner to replace our furniture. It's one of the few upholstered brands that the backs can be removed so the furniture can fit through a RV's relatively small door.

We don't miss the dinette or table/chairs at all.
    I know it's probably just me, but when my skin hits that fake leather of the recliners it feels practically creepy. And I totally understand the delamination issue of such a material. I see it all the time. Thanks for the tip on Lazy Boy. I was not aware their backs could be removed and facilitate getting them in a trailer. Years ago I thought Lazy Boy was just overpriced furniture. I now volunteer at a Habitat for Humanity Restore store. We get furniture donations of all brands. It is easy to see a Lazy Boy piece. Even before you see a label. The most obvious is the quality materials. Once you have seen it a few times you can spot quality from junk.

I love what some of you have described being done in your trailers. Any chance you could share a photo or two?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moterbiker View Post
    Wife and I are planning on a 28BH, first thing to go is the dinette, probably going to get a theater type couch with the center that folds down
    The problem is that the furniture must be RV furniture in most cases, capable of fitting through relatively small doors. The stuff is light and pretty inexpensive at the same time. Not that many brands are really worth the price they charges. I'm thinking that Lazy Boy furniture has backs that can be taken off for shipment, and they'll easily fit through doors. My Lippert supplied leather furniture has junk "leather" that's pealing.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love what you did with the dinette. When we purchased our trailer we were sure we wanted the dinette. If nothing else we could use it for our laptops. Then, the first time we sat around the table it was ridiculously tight and uncomfortable. So far we just use it a more countertop space.

I wonder if the recliners would fit in this space. They look like they would. The only problem is the dinette appears to be too deep to put where the recliners are in my 2500RL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-10-23_6-20-37.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	23210

If I had the room I would put the recliners and dinette pieces in storage, make my changes and put them back in when I sell the trailer. Based on Bamaman's comments they will start peeling soon.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are from lazy boy. Nice to have zero clearance type so they recline perfectly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	986B782E-1BA3-4DCF-9E17-ABDA5EA25749.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	23335
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Papa John & Gigi

Gigi and I have a Solitude 3740RBH. The dinette chairs and recliners are our only sitting for everyone in the living area. We too basically use the table for a throw all and lap tops. I plan on moving the sofa bed from rear bunk house to where our dinette is and the dinette to the rear bunk house. There is enough room where the dinette is for the sofa/bed to open for additional sleeping if needed. If this doesn't work out, I'll reverse back to original set up.
    I'm not sure what I'm suppose to enter in the title section. New and learning the forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast