User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Design Solitude 380FL Leveling

Apologize if this has been posted in another thread. My initial search wasn't very productive but will continue to search.

We just purchased our 2020 Grand Design Solitude 380FL. We actually moved from a Forest River Georgetown GT Class A RV. My question centers on the Lippert automatic leveling system. I have found plenty of videos on how to use but none on leveling the RV completely manually. I need to feel more confident on leveling the RV manually when I am in a spot where auto-leveling results in in tires sitting in the air. I get the front, back, and side leveling but don't full understand how the middle jacks fit in the process. If I could find a video or step-by-step process, I would feel more confident when we go on our maiden trip this weekend. I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hduncan View Post
    Apologize if this has been posted in another thread. My initial search wasn't very productive but will continue to search.

We just purchased our 2020 Grand Design Solitude 380FL. We actually moved from a Forest River Georgetown GT Class A RV. My question centers on the Lippert automatic leveling system. I have found plenty of videos on how to use but none on leveling the RV completely manually. I need to feel more confident on leveling the RV manually when I am in a spot where auto-leveling results in in tires sitting in the air. I get the front, back, and side leveling but don't full understand how the middle jacks fit in the process. If I could find a video or step-by-step process, I would feel more confident when we go on our maiden trip this weekend. I appreciate any assistance you can provide.
    On our 310GK, the middle and rear jacks are pseudo ganged together. You can not control them separately. If you select manual raise or lower "rear" you will raise/lower all 4 jacks (middle and rear). If you select raise/lower one side, you will raise/lower all three jacks (including the landing gear/front jacks) on the selected side. I assume (or is that ******-u-me ) there is some pressure balancing between the middle and rear jacks to equalize the loads on them, but I have never verified that. I can tell you that when manual or auto-leveling all 6 jacks have significant weight on them (judging but the ground depressions). When auto-leveling, the system does ground/retract the middle and rear jacks separately, but appears to use them together when actually leveling.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hduncan View Post

In my opinion, if the site is not level enough to let it auto level without the tires being off the ground on one side, the best approach is to drive the trailer up on wooden blocks or Anderson levelers on the low side before you even attempt to start leveling....basically you are partially leveling with them. The caveat to doing this is that you also need to put the same amount of blocking under the leveling jacks on that side so that you don't run out of stroke on the jacks. It's obviously more work to do it this way, but I'm not fond of having ANY of the tires off the ground while camping.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    In my opinion, if the site is not level enough to let it auto level without the tires being off the ground on one side, the best approach is to drive the trailer up on wooden blocks or Anderson levelers on the low side before you even attempt to start leveling....basically you are partially leveling with them. The caveat to doing this is that you also need to put the same amount of blocking under the leveling jacks on that side so that you don't run out of stroke on the jacks. It's obviously more work to do it this way, but I'm not fond of having ANY of the tires off the ground while camping.
    This is our approach. Turn on the touchpad and scroll to side-to-side readout. About 1” per .5* best I recall. I then use two 4” thick 12x12
    pads under each jack.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As cfowler55 said you have better control of your jacks using the interior touch pad instead of the exterior button pad. Still if the site is so unlevel that your wheels on one side are off the ground, I would go to another site or if that is not possible, put blocks under the raised wheels and relevel. Also, as has been mentioned, you will likely need blocks under several of the jacks so they do not exceed their stroke travel.
    Jim and Sandi
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    2017Ram2500 Laramie HD 6.4 Hemi Andersen Hitch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only had the wheels lift a couple of times. I do as xrated mentioned above; if the site is way off, drive the low side up on the anderson levelers before starting the auto level. Agree with using blocks under the leveling feet. I actually place at least one block under each leveling foot every time regardless. I will use more than one in the event it looks like it would require a longer extension.

Regarding using manual extend/retract; it's like the big kitchen (your floorpan is similar to mine) slides. The leveling legs are "ganged" together, as CoChris mentioned above; just as you can't operate your two kitchen slides independently.
    Last edited by Keebler; 10-23-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I have only had the wheels lift a couple of times. I do as xrated mentioned above; if the site is way off, drive the low side up on the anderson levelers before starting the auto level. Agree with using blocks under the leveling feet. I actually place at least one block under each leveling foot every time regardless. I will use more than one in the event it looks like it would require a longer extension.

Regarding using manual extend/retract; it's like the big kitchen (your floorpan is similar to mine) slides. The leveling legs are "ganged" together, as CoChris mentioned above; just as you can't operate your two kitchen slides independently.
    Actually, on my Momentum 394 you can operate the two slides independently. In the curbside propane tank cubicle area there are two knobs that you can close off. If you close one of them, then only one slide will go out or come in. If you close the other one and open the first one, the other slide will operate. I do this all the time when the trailer is under my RV Carport as I don't have enough room to fully extent either slide because of the carport legs. I use my phone app for the One Control; that way I can walk around to either side and watch the slide movement as it's going out.....stopping it before contact with the carport legs.
    Last edited by xrated; 10-23-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Actually, on my Momentum 394 you can operate the two slides independently. In the curbside propane tank cubicle area there are two knobs that you can close off. If you close one of them, then only one slide will go out or come in. If you close the other one and open the first one, the other slide will operate. I do this all the time when the trailer is under my RV Carport as I don't have enough room to fully extent either slide because of the carport legs. I use my phone app for the One Control; that way I can walk around to either side and watch the slide movement as it's going out.....stopping it before contact with the carport legs.
    I can't wait to check for that. Thanks for that tip; could have used that multiple times!
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I can't wait to check for that. Thanks for that tip; could have used that multiple times!
    If you have that on your trailer, they are not marked as to which is which...at least not on mine. I just turned one of the knobs off (turn knob clockwise as you are looking at it) and tried the slides to see which one still moved....then identified them with a tape sticker noting which one was which. Good luck and I hope you have them.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have labeled the two knobs on my 376TH. Because of the design of the 376 I cannot get to the bathroom for a rest stop break without opening the curbside slide. Shutting off the street side slide allows me to be able to open this curbside slide partially in order to use the restroom while traveling. This is a great little feature for people who have floor plan design like the 376TH.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually