User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10sne1 View Post
    Shopping a grey tote and wish for one to mount on ladder. Making this my choice. Pros and cons about the 28 vs the 36? The 36 is only a couple inch different in length, height and width.. thought I’d ask here prior to buying, for you opinions?
    Thanks
    I picked up the 28 Gal...and, it is HEAVY when it's full (also pretty big). 8 more gallons would be an additional 64 lbs...no thanks. Hangs on the ladder as advertised. With 43 gallon holding tanks, I think I picked the right one.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We bought the big 36 gallon tote model a few months ago but still haven’t used it.

We normally only stay a week at a campground so we just dump on the way out, we bought it for boondocking this winter.

So anyway, it’s hanging off the ladder in the rear of the trailer, and every time we’re at a dump station where people pull up behind us I make a point to get my wife to reach her whole arm inside it as if to retrieve something, then rub her face, then she walks over to them and tries to shake their hand.

I have visions of pulling a Baby Ruth out of the tank some day just for the added effect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3883.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	23220

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I camp at state and national forest campgrounds often, so would not be without mine.

My ladder is on the side of my rig, so ladder mount is not an option. I have the smaller one, so it can fit in my upfront storage area.

I have one with 4 wheels, which i like. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly recommend getting one with 4 wheels vs 2. Makes tank so much easier to handle when full. Thetford and Barker make them, may be other suppliers also. First tank was 2 wheel and sold it after first camping trip. As far as size one bigger than RV tanks is better. I have 35 gal and mount it on rear ladder. I use a Cameco chair rack for ladders to set it on and then racket scraps to hold it in place; the chair rack keeps it from sliding down ladder while traveling and bouncing around.
    https://www.campingworld.com/maintai.../holding-tanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 36 Camco is currently on sale for 180 at several retailers right now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did the 36, it is big! But not like I’m carrying it around, that’s the ladders job. We have two grey waters 35 each so went with the 36. Did I say it is big. Happy dumping
    Lakeland FL.
    2016 1500 Ram Crew
    2019- imagine-2150RB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    I highly recommend getting one with 4 wheels vs 2. Makes tank so much easier to handle when full. Thetford and Barker make them, may be other suppliers also. First tank was 2 wheel and sold it after first camping trip. As far as size one bigger than RV tanks is better. I have 35 gal and mount it on rear ladder. I use a Cameco chair rack for ladders to set it on and then racket scraps to hold it in place; the chair rack keeps it from sliding down ladder while traveling and bouncing around.
    https://www.campingworld.com/maintai.../holding-tanks
    I have found the opposite to be true, at least with the Camco 28 because the large wheels pull so much easier over rough and uneven terrain, while the typically smaller front wheels found on 4-wheel units, tend to hang up or at least stall forward momentum. We had an opportunity to try the Thetford II and it was a good news bad news thing. Good news is it had a nice user friendly layout and function, thebad news, the pull handle was cheap flimsy plastic prone to breaking. On smooth surfaces it was fine, but on rough surfaces I felt I had to be very careful when the tank was full, for fear of breaking. A look at numerous views confirmed others were having issues with the pull handle breaking. The shame of it was the first generation Thetford smart tote had great reviews then Thetford introduced the Thetford II model and changed the pull handle to a flimsy plastic design. I have found the Camco 28 to function better than the Thetford and another brand I had.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    You can stop at 28 gallons in the larger one if you need to for weight. You can’t put 36 gallons in the smaller one though.
    Charlie
    I tend to agree with this 100%. We have the 36 gallon Camco and it works very well. We use a ball hitch to pull it to the dump station so I am not concerned about the weight as much. Maneuvering the tank by hand is some work, but not extremely difficult for the few feet to the truck.
    My intention is to never,... ever find out how full I can get it. So I figure no tank will never be at full capacity. The bigger tank gives me options and there is room for it to sit in the bed in front of the hitch.

One nice thing is I can use the fill connection to dump by rotating the tank up on the two wheels to stand it on end. The dump is more aggressive to get everything out. Dump, flush, swish and final dump.
    I would second the caution about the wheels during a dump tow. IMHO the larger diameter the better. We pulled at walking speed (less than 4mph) and the high quality campground roads did bounce the tank around quite a bit. DW sat on the tailgate and was ready to scream if anything went wrong. No screaming, I was happy.

This is one of those items that I think just depends on your camping style. What works for one might not for another.
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how big our “blue boy” is but it’s a BIG two-wheeler and a real pain to get it from the RV to the truck, so I built a dolly for it with some scrap 2/4’s and some big-ish casters. What a difference!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went through this and actually used my tank (36 gallon) for the first time a few weeks ago. Here are my thoughts. I purchased the 36 because I thought more the merrier. However I will agree it is freaking heavy when full. 280+ pounds. If you have back problems this one isn’t for you. Also, I learned that there is no good way of knowing your tank if full until the clear sight glass go liquid full. If your dumping the black tank then you know your gonna have a line that is liquid full from valve to valve. Not a good one to deal with. Happened to me the first time. Luckily it was just the grey water. Anyway I discovered that if I propped up the end with handle roughly a half a foot more than level. I could then close the valve on the rv when liquid full and then let the tank down to level and the remainder in the hose would fully drain into the tank. Less fuss is good. Regardless of which one you buy take the time to drill the shaft where the caps for the wheels snap on and insert cotter pins. The method of holding the wheels is not all that great and will create an issue for you. All in all I love the tank. It’s solid and does a great job. For the money it’s hard to beat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast