Thread: Solar panels

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar panels

2017 Reflection 308BH
    Trying to find out what panel to install and which charge controller to go with. Any of you reflection guys installed anything like that? A am trying to do at least 600 watts
    Link to solar panels and charge controllers are welcome.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad SVT View Post
    2017 Reflection 308BH
    Trying to find out what panel to install and which charge controller to go with. Any of you reflection guys installed anything like that? A am trying to do at least 600 watts
    Link to solar panels and charge controllers are welcome.
    My husband bought a complete system from Renogy Solar and installed it himself. We only got a 200 watt system (they have bigger ones), since we have a small rig and that's all we need. It included panels and controller and cabling. We later installed an inverter.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do they provide enough power for you guys?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad SVT View Post
    do they provide enough power for you guys?
    For our use, yes. But I don't know how many people you will have in your rig, and what your requirements are.

We use it so we can watch TV, run the heater without having to run the generator.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put 1,200 watts on my roof. I got the panes fromContinuous Resources, six 200 watt panels. The rest I got from AMSolar. I got the Victron charge controller. I have their battery monitor was really impressed with it, so I though5 I would give their controller a try. It’s been great. I got the 150/100 unit so I could add a few more panels down the road if I wanted to. I put my inverter in a few years ago, so it’s my only non Victron piece, it’s a Magnum and does everything I throw at it, but it would be nice if it tied together with the rest.

Let me know if you have any questions, i had a great time doing the install and I am really happy with how it turned out.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would love to see your set up. do you mind texting me or massenger me true Facebook ? i have some questions.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Text would be fine, I don’t do Facebook. I will pm you my cell.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before making any solar panel and controller purchases, you first need to define your needs. Do you boondock and if so how much? This will come into play because if you do not boondock, you really do not need a solar set-up, on the other hand if you boondock often then a solar set-up will be of significant benefit. Next, you should do an energy audit to determine your energy usage and requirements in terms of amps and how many days you typically need or want to go before needing to charge the batteries when solar output is poor or non-existent, this will indicate how much battery capacity you require. Then you determine solar output requirement for the size battery bank you have determined. But your first purchase should be a quality battery monitor which you will need down the line, but in the interim, will give you a real world picture of how much energy you are consuming. Taking these steps will get you significantly closer to correctly sizing your battery bank and solar array, so you start off with a system which if not exactly right is close and not over spending on panels and batteries. The mistake I often see in solar installs is not taking these steps which inevitably leads to disappointment to an under performing system, or having too much for their need, thus spending more $$$ than needed. Too often I hear folks saying "I have X- amount space on my roof to fill with panels and do so without regard to whether that is actually required or not. Taking these steps takes a bit of time, but well worth it, especially considering no matter what size system you put in place solar is expensive, so why spend more than you need. Better to start out closer to your determined need and find you need to add more battery or panels later.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which battery monitor do you recommend?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    Before making any solar panel and controller purchases, you first need to define your needs. Do you boondock and if so how much? This will come into play because if you do not boondock, you really do not need a solar set-up, on the other hand if you boondock often then a solar set-up will be of significant benefit. Next, you should do an energy audit to determine your energy usage and requirements in terms of amps and how many days you typically need or want to go before needing to charge the batteries when solar output is poor or non-existent, this will indicate how much battery capacity you require. Then you determine solar output requirement for the size battery bank you have determined. But your first purchase should be a quality battery monitor which you will need down the line, but in the interim, will give you a real world picture of how much energy you are consuming. Taking these steps will get you significantly closer to correctly sizing your battery bank and solar array, so you start off with a system which if not exactly right is close and not over spending on panels and batteries. The mistake I often see in solar installs is not taking these steps which inevitably leads to disappointment to an under performing system, or having too much for their need, thus spending more $$$ than needed. Too often I hear folks saying "I have X- amount space on my roof to fill with panels and do so without regard to whether that is actually required or not. Taking these steps takes a bit of time, but well worth it, especially considering no matter what size system you put in place solar is expensive, so why spend more than you need. Better to start out closer to your determined need and find you need to add more battery or panels later.
    Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast