User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pantry Items While Traveling

Just purchased 2930 and this is first post to this site! Never had a pantry before and I'm concerned with placing items on the shelves then traveling. Do I need to use a tension bar on the shelves to keep items from tumbling out? Does anyone use for coffee pot/small appliances storage and how do those travel? Thx

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife got several small open top baskets for the pantry shelves , two for each shelf. Everything stays put just fine. Out single serve coffee maker stays on the counter pushed into the corner of the wall and fridge. Has never moved over an inch or two.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    My wife got several small open top baskets for the pantry shelves , two for each shelf. Everything stays put just fine. Out single serve coffee maker stays on the counter pushed into the corner of the wall and fridge. Has never moved over an inch or two.
    Charlie

My wife did the same thing. She went to Bed Bath and Beyond and purchased a bunch of open baskets that we use to everything from clothes to pantry items. We also put a rubberized liner on the shelves and cabinets to help stop things sliding around.
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 10-23-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BlueSkiesColorado ditto to @cfowler55 post my wife got clear plastic bins at a storage/shelving specialty store. They come in many sizes but ours are all roughly 6" tall. One or two of those on each shelf helps with organization when we're camping and when we're about to travel we pile much of the rest of the stuff on the shelf into them. (We have some of them in the fridge too).

Wives are so much smarter at this.

The only appliance we have to put away is a four-slice toaster on the bottom shelf; it has stayed there.

Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by boyscout; 10-23-2019 at 08:49 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for baskets, particularly the dish detergent. Traveling from sea level to 5000 feet the dish detergent fell over, then it popped open, we never got all of the dish detergent cleaned out of the cracks.

Baskets and more baskets, we like the colorful plastic paper organizers. About 4 inches wide, 6 inches tall, and 9 inches deep, great little organizers. And colorful.

Another neat trick is to go to the hard ware store and buy a couple 1/4 metal rods about 2 foot long. Measure them 1/2 to 1 inch longer than the medicine cabinet door frame is wide, drill a hole equal height and half the extra length of the rod on each side of the medicine cabinet frame inside the door. Then gently bend the rod until the ends slip into the holes, when it straightens back out the rod stays in place and prevents your medicines from surprising you each time you stop.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Containers are good for some things, but we don't use many. Instead, my practice has been to line all shelves with a nonslip lining. I'm partial to recycled rubber matting because it's heavyweight and nonslip both sides. I also learned years ago that the secret to best travel is to install child locks on all cabinet doors and drawers. I prefer the ones triggered by a magnet that can be locked in the unlocked position while camped. As for appliances and such, you tend to figure out how best to stow them after a few trips. In our case, we have so many quilters where we live that we have had padded covers we put over them when stowed.

Oh, if you have the glass door pantry, our idea has been to use 1x1 netting strung between two tension rods when traveling. I fear a bomb launched by road crater crossing would break it!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!, we use the shallow plastic bins, fit inside the cabinet and keeps everything from bouncing around. Shelf liner, that waffle weave rubber crap from the $store works to keep stuff put. The plastic bins keep spills contained. I have a couple of drawer glides that I’m going to drop into one of our pantry shelves, sometimes hard to find stuff in the bin, sitting on a shelf in a dark cupboard. Glides will let the bin be pulled out into the “ceiling light of day”.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5-cup coffee maker and toaster travel in the cabinets above our buffet. We use a few plastic tubs in the pantry of smaller stuff - everything else stays put. I installed a spice rack on the inside of the pantry door for spices. We've never had an issue with things staying put in the pantry. Make sure to any heavy things like canned good and jars of pasta sauce on the floor in the pantry. The pantry shelves are not overly sturdy and have been known to break and fall if loaded too heavily. As for seeing stuff in the pantry, I installed LED rope lights around the inside of the pantry door frame (wired to the one light at the top) with a micro switch than comes on when the door is opened.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2930 has a fairly shallow pantry, all you would need is curtain rods as a retainer while in motion. Not sure if you can utilize baskets . If you find the right size they may help keep things in place. When we looked at the 2930 I think the pantry measured at about 6 inches deep.

We do all the above right down to the strip led lights. To date (5yrs and counting) nothing has jumped out at me from the pantry. We keep a farberware coffee pot and toaster on a middle shelf also a ninja foodie on the floor. Spices I keep in air tight containers the rest go into baskets or other open orgaanizers. Canned goods go in a cabinet that has npo glass in the door.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 2930RL, we use the tension rods in the very large pantry and have zero issues. We do keep all of our appliances in the lower cabinets next to the oven and hutch. We are coming back from the SoCal rally and have hit some very rough roads and every thing in all the cabinets have stayed put. Rule of thumb for us is to keep anything heavy in lower cabinets and lighter items in upper cabinets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast