User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A problem that was not Westlake's

Hello,

So as I am doing my pre-trip inspections I was airing up my tires due to the change in ambient temperatures. I lost about 10 PSI with temps going from Mid 90's to 60's/70's. One tire was really low and I thought I might have a valve stem issue. I sprayed the valve with soapy water and could not find anything. When I turned off the compressor I could hear the air leak. Finally I found the leak in the center of the tread. What I found is that the tire had been plugged at some point in time. Actually in two spots side by side. They used a string plug which I would never recommend. I did not do this. I purchased my 5th wheel last November and have put on 3000 miles without any issues. I have a TMPS system and for that time I did not see any issues such as a slow leak. So how and when did this happen? My guess is that the transportation company plugged the tire when they experienced a flat. I sent the claim form into Westlake and they are sending me a new tire under their "No Excuse" policy. They are also sending me a check for payment of getting the tire installed.

At this point I am counting my blessing this did not create a China bomb explosion that everyone is scared of happening to them. A shout out to Westlake for the quick response to my issue.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very good catch indeed. I am thinking the lower pressure allowed the plugs to become dislodged, just a theory.

I was taught that cold tire pressure was the desired pressure you should set your tires at while they are cold (as in not being warmed up from traveling) and at 70F. Higher and lower than 70F you adjust the pressure 1 psi for each 5 degrees. But don't exceed the max. I am not an engineer so I can't explain why I was told this.

Over time watching my TPMS and temps in all kinds of weather I have discovered that it is not unusual for my tire temps to be 10 psi below normal on cold mornings, about 25 miles down the road they are back to normal PSI, and by 50 miles down the road they reach what I think of as normal running PSI. Tires in the sun will always have higher PSI.

So normal for me is 110PSI, normal running is 120 psi. Cold morning normal is 100 PSI. Really Hot day running is 130 psi. If they go above 130 psi I stop until it cools down.

If any one tire has a PSI difference greater than 5 psi I watch it closely, if it reaches 10 psi difference I start to investigate, if I fill it up to match the others and it drops back down I check the stem for leaks, check the wheel for cracks/leaks, or replace the tire.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750