User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put on Sailun S637 g rated tires on our 312. The westlakes are paper thin compared to the sailuns. The trailer tows better and Im not stressing about blow outs. I run them at 90-95psi and have TPS installed.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrewRV View Post
    This is why I don't buy into the theory that all these Westlake E-rated tire blowouts are the result of user error, as some folks like to suggest. Guys who have never had a blowout like to assume that is because of their superior tire maintenance and monitoring, and therefore anyone who has suffered a blow out must have done something to deserve it. But tire pressures are very imprecise. Westlake and Grand Design only specify a cold pressure, which varies greatly from actual operating temperature. If I take off during a cold desert morning, ambient temperatures could rise by 40 degrees or more during the day, which greatly affects tire pressure. One side of the rig could be in the sun, while the other is shaded which could lead quite a difference in temperature/pressure. If a tire can't handle these normal variations without blowing out, that's a bad/faulty tire.
    Thanks for the reply. Usually in the summer my 16-ply Carlisle trailer tires gain about 25 Psi 90 minutes or so into the trip according to the tire monitoring system. The tires are rated 110 max Psi, but so are my rims (rim/wheel manufacturers mold the rim's max Psi value into the inside of one of the spokes). Had I know years ago that the tires gain so much Psi I would have bought the monitoring system a decade ago!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    I put on Sailun S637 g rated tires on our 312. The westlakes are paper thin compared to the sailuns. The trailer tows better and Im not stressing about blow outs. I run them at 90-95psi and have TPS installed.
    These are damn good tires and my plan is to get a set when either our Westlake G rated tires show signs of wear, get damaged or before we leave for Alaska in June 2020. So far with just over 5,500 miles the Westlakes still look good and no signs of pending failure from the outside, but the Sailun are much better tires.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    These are damn good tires and my plan is to get a set when either our Westlake G rated tires show signs of wear, get damaged or before we leave for Alaska in June 2020. So far with just over 5,500 miles the Westlakes still look good and no signs of pending failure from the outside, but the Sailun are much better tires.
    The guy that buys my cheap trailer tires when i buy a new trailer blew out 3 already. If you had a westlake and a sailun tire next to each other off the rim you would never tow with a westlake again. I even changed my spare to a sailun.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    The guy that buys my cheap trailer tires when i buy a new trailer blew out 3 already. If you had a westlake and a sailun tire next to each other off the rim you would never tow with a westlake again. I even changed my spare to a sailun.
    While I agree that the Sailun are a much better tire, ie. 14-ply commercial tires and why I will be going to them does not make the Westlake a bad tire, or as bad as they are made out to be on the web unless you are talking about the E-rated flavor for loads very close to the E-rating, in which case the fault lies with either the trailer manufacturer for not putting a higher rated tire, or the owner if they put E-rated tires on a trailer where G-rated would be the correct choice. There have been many people like myself who have or are getting good service out of Westlakes. Again while Sailun makes a better, likely in the "Best" category, Westlakes likely fall in the "Good" category and may be a good option for someone who may not have, or does not want to spend the higher premium price for a Sailun. Another consideration often over looked in the lousy tire threads are a couple other factors - correct tire inflation and driving speed. It seems obvious that tires should be checked regularly and kept to the proper PSI, yet too often there are those who say, they rarely check the tire pressure and some who fail to keep their speed when towing a trailer with ST tires under 65-mph, the max rated speed for ST tires. As an example, I new a guy who had a blowout and blamed "crappy tires" so replaced them with one of the reported better brands, had a second blow out, replaced with still another so called better rated tire and had a third blowout. I asked him if he maintains correct tire pressure, to which he said usually he does, I asked a second question, how fast do you generally drive to which he said he drives 75-80 mph... BINGO! Any tire, properly rated for the load of the trailer, properly maintained and driven under the rated 65 mph should give good service, in absence of those conditions any tire is likely likely to fail.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t for the life of me understand why GD continues to use Westlake tires as original equipment. My tire failed and did $2,600 dollars damage to my rig. The tires were two years old and had less than 2k miles on them. I had TPMS on them, not that it mattered, it gave no indication that there was anything amiss. The tire tread came off, never lost pressure. These tires are just plain Junk. Don’t believe those who say there’s nothing wrong with this tire, all you need to do is pay attention to all the horror stories people have posted. As a note my tire was 235 x 80x16 E rated on a Momentum 350M that was empty.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Backforty View Post
    I can’t for the life of me understand why GD continues to use Westlake tires as original equipment. My tire failed and did $2,600 dollars damage to my rig. The tires were two years old and had less than 2k miles on them. I had TPMS on them, not that it mattered, it gave no indication that there was anything amiss. The tire tread came off, never lost pressure. These tires are just plain Junk. Don’t believe those who say there’s nothing wrong with this tire, all you need to do is pay attention to all the horror stories people have posted. As a note my tire was 235 x 80x16 E rated on a Momentum 350M that was empty.
    E-rated tires period should not be run on such a heavy trailer. There have been plenty of posts on here saying that. On light weight trailers people have had success with them. We did change out the E-rated tires on our 303 when we got it, not just because of problems people were having but because there is a better and larger choice of tires with the G-rated tires. Since GD has started using the G-rated tires on the larger trailers I have not read of anyone having a problem with the G-rated tires.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the years I have shredded or blown up at least a dozen tires. All were "E" rated ST235/85-80R16.If you look at the weight rating of an E range tire, normally around 3,100 lbs a tire (= or - a bit) you soon see that you are running about 98% of rating. The G rated tires are much higher. Westlake being 4400 lbs a tire at 110psi which is about 60% of weight rating. Not sure where they get speed rating from but @BB&LAB is right, tires are rated for 65 mph ONLY. Two years on my "G" rated Westlakes so far and going good. BTW I have see the front tires of my F-350 go from 75psi to 90psi+ I don't let air out as when they cool off they would be under inflated
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airrace View Post
    Over the years I have shredded or blown up at least a dozen tires. All were "E" rated ST235/85-80R16.If you look at the weight rating of an E range tire, normally around 3,100 lbs a tire (= or - a bit) you soon see that you are running about 98% of rating. The G rated tires are much higher. Westlake being 4400 lbs a tire at 110psi which is about 60% of weight rating. Not sure where they get speed rating from but @BB&LAB is right, tires are rated for 65 mph ONLY. Two years on my "G" rated Westlakes so far and going good. BTW I have see the front tires of my F-350 go from 75psi to 90psi+ I don't let air out as when they cool off they would be under inflated
    E rated Goodyear Endurance ST tires are speed rated N - 87mph.

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    E rated Goodyear Endurance ST tires are speed rated N - 87mph.
    I believe the latest E rated Westlakes are rated to 81 mph. I will get back on the G rated on our Solitude S.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast