User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmfoch View Post
    I always hate to hear about these tire failures and sorry to hear about the OP's incident. Always makes me wonder when it will be my turn?

I'm one of those lucky owners that you don't hear about. I currently have the original E-rated Westlake tires on our 348M that came with the camper when we picked it up in Oct. 2015. We've kept an eye on the tires and the speed generally around 65mph max. We are one of the survivors and are currently shopping for new tires before we head out on our first camping trip of the season. The 348M has 7,000# axles and a 16.5k lbs max load capacity, so theoretically the E-rated tire is just barely sufficient. As such, I am looking at the GY Endurance E-rated tire or the Sailun G637 G-rated tire. Decisions, decisions...

Thank you to everyone that frequently posts. As anyone can tell by my post count, I'm not one of those. Happy Camping!
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Early on a few years ago we did see some reports of tire failures mainly "E" rated on RVs that were on the line with maxing out the ratings for "E" tires. Factor in a greater % of failures on toy haulers for some folks due to off road abuse, excessive highway speeds, etc. the stage was set for issues.

GDRV was paying attention to owner feedback and began building these heavier Momentums (Solitudes as well) with upgraded "G" tires. Over the years since then, reports of failures with "G" rated tires has been essentially nonexistent.

There were some other rated tire failure reports as well as one would expect but throwing out the trolls, China haters, etc. those were very few. The last couple years, very, very few tire failures are being reported. Upgrading tire capacities was done with a few other models including heavier axles on some to help mitigate the risk.

As an example, our 303 and other early builds had "D" rated tires (2540 load) on 5200 K axles thus having to lower the axle ratings to 5080K since the tires were the limiting factor. We now have 16" tires and 6K axles running "E" rated Westlakes with more than enough capacity.

Upgrading to Westlake or Sailun "G" tires is a good change to consider.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone used a Transeagle tire on the GD 5th wheel? They have a 14 & 16 Ply tires for trailers. I need to change all five on my brand new 2020 367bhs, it came with the Westlake tires and I have heard nothing good about them yet.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlyngrn View Post
    Has anyone used a Transeagle tire on the GD 5th wheel? They have a 14 & 16 Ply tires for trailers. I need to change all five on my brand new 2020 367bhs, it came with the Westlake tires and I have heard nothing good about them yet.
    Actually the 14 ply G-rated tire by Westlake that GD is using now seems to be a good tire. Haven't heard of anyone having a problem with them. Some people are reporting having put a lot of miles on them with no issues.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Did you happen to read the post directly above yours? @Canyonlight makes a good point, the issue with Westlakes is largely in the past. On the smaller GDRV units, like my Imagine, Westlakes have pretty much always worked just fine as the load range was appropriate for the unit. Obviously if you choose to change the tires that is a personal choice, however it appears that GDRV has listened and provided the correct tire for their larger units. What load range is on your 367BHS 5er?
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated by others, the issues were with the Westlake E rated tires on heavier rigs. GD is now putting G rated Westlakes on the larger rigs and I've read of no issues with them on either of the forums. We replaced the Westlake Es on our Reflection 337 with Sailuns (one of the two most popular tires) and were very happy with them. Our new Solitude came with the Westlake Gs and we're going to run them with a TPMS and see how they do. A TPMS is extremely important.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have G rated Westlakes and so far they are doing okay (knock on my wooden head). So far have had them in use since Oct 2018. Am thinking that at the 3 year mark I will take a very hard look at replacing them. They have at least 20k miles on them.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine came with the E rated tires that is why I am concerned!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty sure it is 16k

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty sure GD has the gvwr at 14995k

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine came with the E rated tires that is why I am concerned!
    Well, then - Sailun S637 or Goodyear G614 are the most popular and highly regarded. I've never heard of Transeagle.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast