User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I must be the unlucky one with the “G” rated Westlakes. I am an anal retentive old man when it comes to tire maintenance . I run a TPMS, always check the tires for defects and store the rig out of the sun. We always pack light with empty tanks.

Yesterday, returning home from a short trip traveling at 60 mph… the roadside back tire blew. No warning from the TPMS. The tires are just over 3 years old with approximately 12k miles on them. The tires had plenty of tread left with no abnormal wear.

I planned on replacing them this fall with new Sailuns. Dammit! I almost made it. Now I need to repair the damage.

Just wanted to post our misfortune from yesterday. Stay safe!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A7DE89E4-CDED-4DBF-8C04-7C4D849BC924.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	36347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3AF18F7D-6FA2-4DE2-9DAE-A4B21B2918D8.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	36348
    2020 GMC Denali 3500HD
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310-GK
    TST - TPMS
    B&W Companion 20k hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too recently had one blow. Granted we had been doing 65 on an interstate for hours on a 90 degree day. I know pushing the limits was just asking for trouble.

We replaced them all with Endurance before going much further. 4000 miles later and looking good.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppyz06 View Post
    Well, I must be the unlucky one with the “G” rated Westlakes. I am an anal retentive old man when it comes to tire maintenance . I run a TPMS, always check the tires for defects and store the rig out of the sun. We always pack light with empty tanks.

Yesterday, returning home from a short trip traveling at 60 mph… the roadside back tire blew. No warning from the TPMS. The tires are just over 3 years old with approximately 12k miles on them. The tires had plenty of tread left with no abnormal wear.

I planned on replacing them this fall with new Sailuns. Dammit! I almost made it. Now I need to repair the damage.

Just wanted to post our misfortune from yesterday. Stay safe!

Name:	A7DE89E4-CDED-4DBF-8C04-7C4D849BC924.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	36347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3AF18F7D-6FA2-4DE2-9DAE-A4B21B2918D8.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	36348

Srry for the misfortune!
    Q1: What tire pressure did you typically run those G Westlakes?
    Q2: The fender wells are easy to replace, but what do you do for the alum flashing for repair?
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    Srry for the misfortune!
    Q1: What tire pressure did you typically run those G Westlakes?
    Q2: The fender wells are easy to replace, but what do you do for the alum flashing for repair?
    I usually run the PSI between 100 and 105. I just purchased new Sailun S637’s to replace the Westlakes. I’ll probably run the PSI according to what Sailun provides in alignment with the load of the trailer. I haven’t had a chance to get over to a CAT scale yet because there are not any close to me but that is something want to do. I’m guessing that my weight is around 13.5 and 14k tops!

As for the flashing, I haven’t replaced that yet. The GD dealership will be ordering that next week but I will post the results once I complete that.
    2020 GMC Denali 3500HD
    TST - TPMS
    B&W Companion 20k hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually run the PSI between 100 and 105. I just purchased new Sailun S637’s to replace the Westlakes. I’ll probably run the PSI according to what Sailun provides in alignment with the load of the trailer. I haven’t had a chance to get over to a CAT scale yet because there are not any close to me but that is something want to do. I’m guessing that my weight is around 13.5 and 14k tops!

As for the flashing, I haven’t replaced that yet. The GD dealership will be ordering that next week but I will post the results once I complete that.
    I replaced Factory Westlake G-rated on our Solitude (after tread separation was identified in North Carolina) with Sailun S637 (Vietnam versions) and traveled 4,318 miles before the tread came off our first Sailun tire as we came from Oregon (~100 degrees) into Crescent City, CA (~65 degrees). We replaced with another Sailun 637 purchased off Amazon.com (also mfr'ed in Vietnam). We traveled 262 miles from Crescent City, CA to Lassen RV Resort, CA - all good. We then started the trek from Lassen, CA to Winnemucca, NV. We lost the second Sailun 120 miles into the trip. That was yesterday. Exact same failure condition, the tread came off but the tire did not deflate. I saw the second blow and was able to pull over and replace with the spare. Ironically, on both of these trips I inflated the tires before our departure to 110 psi cold pressure as reflected on tire sidewall, measured via TPMS and Digital meter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210821_160200309.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	36631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210821_160212693.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	36632.

These pictures are of the first tire which I found after we pulled into Crescent City, CA. The second tire looks identical and happy to upload those pictures if of interest. It seems Sailun has changed mfr'ing from China to Vietnam and I'm seeing same failures on other forums that look identical to mine. I really liked the 14-Ply G Sailuns until these failures. I'm now a little short of options in Winnemucca and may try these.

The only time the Sailuns failed were when I inflated them the morning of travel to recommended cold temp psi, so if I stuck with them I'd probably run them 5psi lower. That's not to say that's the failure condition but not sure what I would have done differently aside from reducing from the recommended pressure by 5psi.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by CaptPicardo; 09-12-2021 at 06:37 PM.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the topic of flashing replacement, I got a quote from GD that was around $2300 so I got a quote from a custom metal fab shop in Colorado Springs (this was not related to the tire blow outs btw) and they custom-fabbed a replacement with matching paint for $600. Also, they de-installed the broken flashing from my RV in the park and installed the new piece on my rig at the RV park. I was at work and never met them but they did an amazing job. Happy to provide references.
    Jeff & Ally
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    On the topic of flashing replacement, I got a quote from GD that was around $2300 so I got a quote from a custom metal fab shop in Colorado Springs (this was not related to the tire blow outs btw) and they custom-fabbed a replacement with matching paint for $600. Also, they de-installed the broken flashing from my RV in the park and installed the new piece on my rig at the RV park. I was at work and never met them but they did an amazing job. Happy to provide references.
    So sorry to hear about the tires! Did both tires cause damage to your rig?

I have new Sailuns made in Vietnam as well but I’m running them at 95psi as recommended by Sailun and others on the forum. I’m hoping they perform well but time will tell.

i also ordered 2 new 15’ panels from GD at a cost of $108 each (not including shipping). It looks easy enough to replace and will do the work myself.

Did you stay at the Lassen KOA? If so, that’s one of our favorite getaway places.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with the Sailuns.
    2020 GMC Denali 3500HD
    TST - TPMS
    B&W Companion 20k hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have new Sailuns made in Vietnam as well but I’m running them at 95psi as recommended by Sailun and others on the forum. I’m hoping they perform well but time will tell.

i also ordered 2 new 15’ panels from GD at a cost of $108 each (not including shipping). It looks easy enough to replace and will do the work myself.

Did you stay at the Lassen KOA? If so, that’s one of our favorite getaway places.

Damage was not too severe, just have matching rolls (they don't really match) on both sides.

Name:	IMG_20210913_091738347.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	36655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210913_091703149.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	36656

Where did you see Sailun advising 95psi? On the side of the tire it says 110psi cold. Thanks.
    Jeff & Ally
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    Damage was not too severe, just have matching rolls (they don't really match) on both sides.

Name:	IMG_20210913_091738347.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	36655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210913_091703149.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	36656

Where did you see Sailun advising 95psi? On the side of the tire it says 110psi cold. Thanks.
    Here is a thread where the pressure and loads are discussed regarding the Sailuns.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ure-for-337RLS

I hope this helps.

Name:	85F37AA7-DA14-4F67-AAEA-8A20E7DD32EC.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	36657
    2020 GMC Denali 3500HD
    TST - TPMS
    B&W Companion 20k hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to mention Hoppy, we did stay at Lassen KOA over Labor Day and were there for the InterMountain Fair...what a blast. I like the park but could probably do without the Lava rock when working under the RV
    Jeff & Ally
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456