Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2150RB Grey Tanks

We recently purchased an 2150RB and have a Grey Tank question that I searched for and cannot find an answer, the GD Owners Manual doesn't explain either.

Our 2150RB has two grey tanks. It appears both grey tanks come together via a "Y" fitting right before/above the dump valve, so when you pull the one dump valve it should dump both tanks.

I would think the fluid level in these two tanks should equalize because of the "Y" fitting connecting them together but that doesn't seem to happen. Either there is some "one way" valves somewhere else, or my gauges on each tank don't read the same.

Should the fluid level in the tanks equalize?

Is there a benefit of two tanks beside distribution of weight?

Any input would be greatly appreciated...
    David, Shar and Bejr - Boise, Idaho
    2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB (Madge) - Andersen WD Hitch
    2004 Ford F150 5.4 (Henry) - Procomp Lift and traction bars, 4:56 Gears, Hypertech Tuned, Banks Monster Exhaust, K&N Intake, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2019 2150RB has three gate valves. One for the kitchen grey, it is just under the lower valance in front of the slide on the street side, between the slide and the bedroom window. There are two other valves back by the sewage discharge, the grey is for the bath shower and sink and the black is for the toilet. On your control center there should be level indicators for Grey 1 - the kitchen, Grey 2 - the bathroom.

It is I think a weight distribution thing -BTW, the front grey tank on my unit has a long run to get to the discharge pipe, well over 10 feet running parallel to the trailer frame. Make sure the front of the trailer is at least level or slightly higher to get it to drain well.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skiddy.... Wow... I don't believe my 2017 has another gate valve toward the front of the trailer. Our trailer is in storage right now, but now I have to swing buy and look at it again... I'll take some pictures and will attempt to share them here... Thanks for the tips and info...
    2004 Ford F150 5.4 (Henry) - Procomp Lift and traction bars, 4:56 Gears, Hypertech Tuned, Banks Monster Exhaust, K&N Intake, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by david3allens View Post
    Skiddy.... Wow... I don't believe my 2017 has another gate valve toward the front of the trailer. Our trailer is in storage right now, but now I have to swing buy and look at it again... I'll take some pictures and will attempt to share them here... Thanks for the tips and info...
    We have an older model, closer to your build date. I made a label to add to the side of our trailer, under the existing label to alert about the 3rd dump handle. First time we got a pump out at a CG, they missed the front, kitchen tank. It’s a cheap, convenient service, but not when you have to pay twice.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I double checked, there is only one grey water drain valve and it is downstream of where the two grey tank plumbing comes together. One of my attached pictures shows this. The other picture is under the trailer looking under the drivers side from the front toward the back, and there is no gate valve. So both of my grey tanks should equalize levels. Do you suppose there is any advantage or disadvantage to this...???
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RVdrain1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	23295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RVdrain2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	23296

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just guessing, but based on your photos your gate valves are “exposed”. Mine are hidden on the trailer floor side of the underbelly. The actual gate valves are not exposed to below freezing temps if the unit is sitting in close to freezing temps. GDRV uses the term Arctic on the side of the trailer, maybe putting the valves up under the underbelly is their attempt to protect a valve from freezing. Your unit has very accessible gate valves and if repair is needed, it is a pretty easy task. My valves are hidden and have “choke cable’ style actuators - something can and will go wrong. When it does there is no easy fix, you have to drop or cut the underbelly.
    Judy & Larry
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE74A09A-318C-4F96-ADF6-7775A859614D.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	23298

This is my black and grey 2 tank valves, note the valves are not visible, just the control cable.
    Judy & Larry

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skiddy.... Wow, you'res is way different...So do you think the purpose of two separate tanks is to spread out the weight....??...and since I have just the one valve downstream from where they come together the tanks should equalize, right...??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my opinion but the two separate tanks will find the equalization point, there is no check valve to stop the two tank contents from mixing. Not so sure about spreading the weight as GDRV really does not want owners to travel with full grey and black tanks.
    The long run from the front tank means the drain pipe will always be full if you travel without emptying the tanks. Check to make sure that “pipe” is well supported as it could shake itself apart if full and travelling over rough roads. The valves close to the tanks allows a couple of gallons to slosh around in the tank while travelling which will keep the sensors clean. For you to get that action with as little liquid as possible, you have to fill the drain pipe.
    Judy & Larry

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skiddy.... Thanks for the info... You make a good point about the long run to the front tank. It will always be full when there is some liquid in the grey tanks and will be heavy... I'll check to ensure proper support.... Thanks again....