User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Customization of Solitude or Reflection Fifth Wheel

Hi. Totally new to the Forum; am almost ready to buy our first RV and have narrowed it down to just a couple of manufacturers, including Grand Design.

We are two people (I'm retired, doing some consulting, but mostly retired; my husband is a web developer who can work from anywhere), with no kids, so we don't need all of the seating space and the extra beds, etc. But, we'd love to have a desk for dedicated workspace (not just using the dinette). We only see that option with the larger Fifth Wheels (37+). Does anyone know whether we can customize a slightly smaller one?

We're hoping for not more than 34 feet. Can we take out the extra sofa and substitute a desk and cabinetry? How does Grand Design do with this type of customization?

Looking for User perspective before we approach them directly.

Many thanks!

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD does no customizing for the averge customer. Any customizing will have be done by either yourelf or hired out. Once it's yours you can do what ever you want to it.

Welcome to the forum!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    GD does no customizing for the averge customer. Any customizing will have be done by either yourelf or hired out. Once it's yours you can do what ever you want to it.

Welcome to the forum!
    AND …. if you use the search function on this forum, you will find that there are several threads from other members who have already done, in one fashion or another, what you want to do in creating an "office" space.

...VTX-Al

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are only a couple of manufacturers who will customize during the build - and their units are big and expensive ($140K+). We removed the tri-fold sleeper sofa in our rig to put in my Ekornes Stressless recliner. I've seen several threads where people have replaced the dinette with a desk and workspace. Any number of things can be done - just not by the manufacturer of most RVs. As suggested, use the search function and use terms like "office" and "desk."

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scramble View Post
    We are two people (I'm retired, doing some consulting, but mostly retired; my husband is a web developer who can work from anywhere), with no kids, so we don't need all of the seating space and the extra beds, etc. But, we'd love to have a desk for dedicated workspace (not just using the dinette). We only see that option with the larger Fifth Wheels (37+). Does anyone know whether we can customize a slightly smaller one? We're hoping for not more than 34 feet. Can we take out the extra sofa and substitute a desk and cabinetry? How does Grand Design do with this type of customization? Looking for User perspective before we approach them directly. Many thanks!
    I know it wasn't your question, but have you ruled out the Grand Design Reflection 320MKS? It has a desk with a window at the back of the trailer, leaving your dining table free to be a... er... dining table as well as a second workspace if required. IIRC the 320MKS is about eight inches over your 34-foot limit.

http://granddesignrv.com/showroom/20...orplans/320mks

Full disclosure, we owned one of these for just one winter season before trading it in. The trade was due almost entirely to the fact that we had a several successive weeks of dark rainy weather in Feb 2018 and my wife became unhappy with the lack of light in the trailer. We traded for a trailer that has less overhead cabinet storage and as a result much bigger windows and she's happier with it. Happy wife, happy life.

Of course everyone is different... you might not even notice the smaller windows. If it wasn't for that we'd still have it, so I'd encourage you to take the trouble to go see one if you haven't already ruled it out for some reason. I still think it was a good layout that worked well and it was very well built - much better-built than the Solitude we bought to replace it.

Good luck with your choice.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scramble View Post
    We are two people (I'm retired, doing some consulting, but mostly retired; my husband is a web developer who can work from anywhere), with no kids, so we don't need all of the seating space and the extra beds, etc. But, we'd love to have a desk for dedicated workspace (not just using the dinette). We only see that option with the larger Fifth Wheels (37+). Does anyone know whether we can customize a slightly smaller one?
    As mentioned by others, GD doesn't do it, but it can be done. See https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...721#post253721 for a desk that I built.

You could find a carpenter that could build what you need into the space that you have. You just need to make sure that the construction is as light as possible, given the environment that it will be in (very bouncy).

Good luck!
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to consider the Reflection 31MB. The mid bunk room is a slide, and has a quite large desk top on top of the built in dresser. Should be easy to convert the drawers to an open space for leg room. Would make for a real nice office space. It is a little longer than you're looking for at 36'2". the bunk room is toward the front of the rig which would reduce bounce and jarring.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

[QUOTE=WhittleBurner;263315][COLOR=#b22222]GD does no customizing for the averge customer. Any customizing will have be done by either yourelf or hired out. Once it's yours you can do what ever you want to it.

Thank you, all, for the helpful replies. (And for the suggestions, from "building my own" to suggested search terms. It's all appreciated!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2019 Reflection 150 series: 273MKS that has a desk in it. It's my understanding that they are no longer producing this model but you may get lucky and find one for sale.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I know it wasn't your question, but have you ruled out the Grand Design Reflection 320MKS? It has a desk with a window at the back of the trailer, leaving your dining table free to be a... er... dining table as well as a second workspace if required. IIRC the 320MKS is about eight inches over your 34-foot limit.

http://granddesignrv.com/showroom/20...orplans/320mks

Full disclosure, we owned one of these for just one winter season before trading it in. The trade was due almost entirely to the fact that we had a several successive weeks of dark rainy weather in Feb 2018 and my wife became unhappy with the lack of light in the trailer. We traded for a trailer that has less overhead cabinet storage and as a result much bigger windows and she's happier with it. Happy wife, happy life.

Of course everyone is different... you might not even notice the smaller windows. If it wasn't for that we'd still have it, so I'd encourage you to take the trouble to go see one if you haven't already ruled it out for some reason. I still think it was a good layout that worked well and it was very well built - much better-built than the Solitude we bought to replace it.

Good luck with your choice.
    Agree with this. We recently purchased the same unit. Desk is in the rear looking out a window. I think it’s 35 feet though. I love the layout. Lots of space to stretch out. We also took out the bed night stands and put in a king size sleep number mattress. The unit is as long as I’d want to go.
    "Never give up, Never slow down, Never grow old, Never ever die young"
    (James Taylor)

2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast