User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lange718 View Post
    Most trailers come with axles that are rated under GVWR from the start. So does your trailer have the correct axles for the weight? Care to justify xrated?
    They assume the truck is carrying some of the weight (pin-weight) so the trailer’s axles don’t have to. I’m not a fan of it, but that seems to be the way things are done.
    Last edited by backtrack2015; 11-12-2019 at 03:31 PM.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    They assume the truck is carrying some of the weight (pin-weight) so the trailer’s axles don’t have to. I’m not a fan of it, but that seems to be the way things are done.
    While the axles need to be capable of handling the loads to be put on them, if you "over spring" the axles, it's very hard on the coach because of the rough ride. The engineer's job is to design the suspension with enough safety margin (I'm talking theoretically, here - not about the quality of the metals and components used) to be safe but enough travel and give in the suspension so the coach isn't beat to death.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    While the axles need to be capable of handling the loads to be put on them, if you "over spring" the axles, it's very hard on the coach because of the rough ride. The engineer's job is to design the suspension with enough safety margin (I'm talking theoretically, here - not about the quality of the metals and components used) to be safe but enough travel and give in the suspension so the coach isn't beat to death.

Rob
    I get it. It's a balancing act. I personally like to run the axles/tires at 80% of rated capacity or less. That makes me feel like I have some cushion.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For reference, my axles are rated at 14000 combined weight. They are carrying about 12400 (so around 88% loaded). I am comfortable with this. The tires are good up to 16k so they are not even sweating. My pin weight is currently at 4k though and that is a little concerning to me (truck is 15# over GVWR which I am not sweating but I AM worried about the trailer frame). I will be reaching out to GD/LCI to confirm what is "safe" for the trailer frame from a pin weight standpoint even though I am under the axle and trailer ratings overall.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can attest that Sierra 2500HD brakes are terrible. Bad enough that I plan to upgrade my full-time rig to disk brakes.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lange718 View Post
    Most trailers come with axles that are rated under GVWR from the start. So does your trailer have the correct axles for the weight? Care to justify xrated?
    Sure, no problem. The quote that you used from me is simply saying that the trailer has a GVWR of 14,000 lbs. If that trailer is loaded to near that capacity or at that capacity, it will be putting roughly 2800+ lbs of pin weight on the truck. The truck's payload capacity is most likely in the low 2000 lb range. I never stated or implied that the trailer would be overloaded, but that the truck would be overloaded if it is putting enough pin weight on the truck for the that to exceed the truck's payload capacity.

Answer for the other question that you asked......Yes, my trailer has the correct axles for the weight it carries. In fact, the axles (three 7000 lbs axles) and a trailer GVWR of 20,000 lbs. So in my case (Momentum 394M), even if the trailer were loaded to full capacity of 20,000 lbs and IF it were possible to put ALL of that weight on the axles and ZERO on the pin, I would still be under the axle load limit.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789