User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chevy 2500HD Duramax pulling a 337RLS?

Looking at a 2017 337RLS, moving up from 297RSTS. Would like to hear form those pulling 337 or like with a 3/4 ton. Seem to be slightly over on weight when figured one way and under when figured another. We know that most tow with 1 tons, but buying a new truck is not in the near term for us.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet is to look at the payload sticker on the driver side door post and tell us what that says as far as payload capacity or CCC Cargo Carrying Capacity. Normally a diesel 3/4T truck has a pretty low payload number....2100-2200 lbs. If that's the case, the empty weight of the trailer will put you right at the maximum payload capacity of the truck. Let us know your actual payload number.
    Last edited by xrated; 10-25-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We started out with a Sierra 2500HD CC SB D/A and our 337... too much trailer for the truck in terms of pin weight. The 337 can easily put over 3,000 lbs. on the pin. We were always having to weigh and off-load stuff. It would get down the road just fine, but there wasn't a safety margin. When we had an opportunity to trade for a DRW 1-ton, we jumped on it. I would advise going with a smaller trailer unless you're willing to move up to a truck with more payload. There are a number of members on the forum who belong to the "Two-Timers' Club" - those who had to buy a two vehicle twice for the same reasons.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of 2500 diesels pulling 5th wheels on the road. Many long threads on same question.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob/OlallaWA View Post
    Lots of 2500 diesels pulling 5th wheels on the road. Many long threads on same question.
    Lots of folks towing overloaded too. Some just simply don't know any better, some just don't care. At least the O.P. is asking and he hopefully realizes that it's too much trailer for his truck. That trailer has a GVWR of ~14,000 lbs. 20% of that is 2800 lbs of pin weight.........on a truck that likely has a payload in the very low 20s. Care to justify that for us Bob?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well for starters you are throwing out numbers that are just numbers that may or not be actual. He doesn’t have to be at gross weight limit on the trailer does he. He also doesn’t show his truck empty weight. Justify what, I don’t think I recommend he tow anything over limit.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well for starters you are throwing out numbers that are just numbers that may or not be actual. He doesn’t have to be at gross weight limit on the trailer does he. He also doesn’t show his truck empty weight. Justify what, I don’t think I recommend he tow anything over limit.
    Truck empty weight is the same thing as payload capacity, they both add together to get the 10k GVWR of the truck. If you know one, you know the other. Long story short, he WILL be over the truck GVWR. The pin weight of these fifth wheels ARE heavier than they are advertised because people tend to put stuff in their trailers. In those front closets and pass through storage bays - both of which contribute healthily to the pin weight.

He will be over his truck GVWR/payload even though he may be under the axle and tire ratings. If you are over on any one rating, you are over for the truck. Period.

I sold my 8 month old 2018 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax for this reason. It was a fine truck and would have done the job with just about any travel trailer out there - but once we were looking at fifth wheels (which we thought we would never do when buying the first truck - lol) getting the 3500HD was a no brainer. Didn't think twice about it. Did lose $10k for the privilege though. As soon as I looked at the door sticker on my 2500HD I pretty much regretted not having just got the 3500HD out of the gate. Thought I would have 2530# payload due to the marketing brochure - my truck had 2144# payload.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you miss the part that I wrote about...."even if the trailer is empty"....he'll still be over the payload capacity of the truck? It gets worse after that when he starts loading the trailer.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If in fact the unit he is looking at empty is outside the payload limit of his pu he should reconsider. I was not aware of that fact. I do think you should be using real numbers instead of guesstimates when telling someone how to spend their money.
    Last edited by Bob/OlallaWA; 10-29-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If in fact the unit he is looking at empty is outside the payload limit of his pu he should reconsider. I was not aware of that fact. I do think you should be using real numbers instead of guesstimates when telling someone how to spend their money.
    Two things. It is a well known fact that most 3/4T DIESEL truck's have a payload in the 2100 - 2200 lb range. My previous truck, a F250, diesel, 4x4 CrewCab XLT ( not even a Lariat or King Ranch, or Platinum), had a whopping 2148 lbs of payload. The fancier versions would have been even less. You might say I have a bit of experience in that regard.

Second thing.....all it takes is a quick Google search for the trailer in question to find, in this case, the Grand Design page for THAT trailer, If you scroll down that page, the list the empty weight of the trailer as well as the GVWR for the trailer. Using a very common number of 20% of the empty weight of the trailer to calculate the pin weight that will be on the truck, it's easy to see that number will exceed the payload capacity of the truck if the truck is like 99% of the other 3/4T DIESEL trucks. So do I know his truck's payload capacity....Nope, he never posted it. But, I did tell him to check it to know for sure....and I did tell him that most trucks like that will have a very low payload number....and I did tell him that if his truck is like that, even the empty trailer pin weight would overload his truck.

Actually knowing the numbers is on HIM, not me. All I can do, as others have done, is try to steer him in the right direction before he makes a very expensive MISTAKE....like I did several years ago with my F250 purchase.

I have spent many hours educating myself about towing dynamics and feel perfectly comfortable giving solid advice about truck/trailer combinations and whether or not that particular combination will fit into the criteria to safely tow AND to stay within the manufacturer's weight capacities.....all of them....GVWR, FAWR, RAWR, GCVWR, Payload, Towing Capacity, and Tire Load Capacity ratings.
    Last edited by xrated; 10-29-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast