User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planning 3-rig Trip to Outer Banks (OBX)... Seeking Campground Recommendations

My wife and I are putting together a week-long trip to coastal Carolina for next summer. We'll have 3 rigs coming in the group. I'm looking for something near/on the beach where we can be close to each other (or in line) and will not be boring for my 10 year-old niece. We need minimum of 30A+Water, but full-hookups wouldn't be a problem.

I don't know anything about the area so any advice would be appreciated.
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cape Hatteras KOA or Camp Hatteras RV Resort.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed at Camp Hatteras in mid-September. It was not busy at all. We stayed on the sound side so we could have a view of the water, on the ocean side you can't actually see the water due to the dune. The park is about 20% sound side, 80% ocean side.

I would say their facilities were average - nothing mind boggling. Seemed like the buildings were all 20-25 years old and on par with everything else I have seen in the Outer Banks. They had several wifi APs around the campground (each with a different SSID) but the only one on the sound side had been struck by lightening shortly before Dorian came through and had not been fixed yet so we were stuck with cellular (Verizon had fantastic signal and speed). So I cannot comment on the quality of the WiFi or speeds since I had no access.

They really pack in the spaces for campers so do not expect much room. I have a 40' fifth wheel and with it all the way back on my pad (as much as it could go without butting out over the pad behind us) there was no room for my truck without parking on the grass. I asked them if this was ok and they said it is fine, in the summer when booked up everyone has to park on the grass. They said during summer they will be 100% booked and you have to get a space 9-12 months ahead of time reserved.

The last point, is not a knock on the park specifically, but the mosquitoes were literally the worst I have ever seen anywhere when we were there. Idk if it was due to fall, the hurricane, wind blowing east vs west, but they were huge, aggressive, everywhere, and miserable. It was so bad we pretty much avoided spending any time outside. I would kill 15-20 on me just while dumping our tanks or doing anything outside. The wind seemed to have no effect on them unfortunately.

Given I was somewhat nonplussed with the park, I did have to wonder if the KOA was a better choice but we did not get over there to check it out unfortunately.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    My wife and I are putting together a week-long trip to coastal Carolina for next summer. We'll have 3 rigs coming in the group. I'm looking for something near/on the beach where we can be close to each other (or in line) and will not be boring for my 10 year-old niece. We need minimum of 30A+Water, but full-hookups wouldn't be a problem.

I don't know anything about the area so any advice would be appreciated.
    Been to Camp Hatteras twice. First time mid Sept. then week after Memorial Day. Both times not full. Stayed on ocean side. Plenty of room- both times with 42' toyhaulers and always room to put the deck out. Sites are a little close, but not like you're awning will hit the neighbors rig. WIFI was always sketchy. Was a choice for us between Camp H and the KOA. Easy access to the beach. IIRC, there's a playground, tennis court, 2 pools (indoor heated) and bike rentals. No campfires, though. Can have one on beach with permit. My son stayed down the road at Ocean Waves. It's 1 road in with all of the sites across from each other. Only thing they had was a pool. There's a loop at the end for a turnaround. Much cheaper, if all you want is ocean access. You should Google earth the area and will see some of the campgrounds are like going into some ones driveway. Pretty tight and not many sites. Be aware- there's not a lot to do right there if you're into any kind of nightlife or amusing the kiddos. Besides the campgrounds, it's mostly house rentals. Very quiet, no hustle n bustle. You'll have to travel to get to light houses, shopping, eateries. We had the motorcycle so it was fun riding.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the recommendations. Those were the campgrounds that we found too so I appreciate the reviews. My sister was talking to a friend that she just found out lived there for quite a while. She suggested Ocean Waves which we'll look at. I'm thinking the KOA is near the top of my list right now. Mostly because we've never stayed at one and I'm trying to convince my parents to come and stay in a cabin. I'll post back when we make a decision next month if anyone has other suggestions, feel free to add them. This thread may help someone later.
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB