User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Westlake tires (load e) always stayed within 1-2 pounds of each other. Even after sitting all winter. I check my tires every time I stop for gas.
    For me, I'll never trust Westlake again. Safety is more important. People will always chime in and say its cause you are overloaded, going to fast, and lack of maintenance. In my case none of these applied.
    Its fare cheaper to get new tires since the cost of repairs add up to the same cost almost. 4 new goodyear tires ($600.00). Cost of parts only as I will be doing the repair ($450.00).
    Its just a roll of the dice, as they say "blank" happens.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2342.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	23611

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joel, I had the same Westlake G-Rated tires as you & got over 22,000 miles on them with no issues (on my 2018 Solitude 310GK).

I recently replaced them at America's Tire/Discount Tire with Taskmaster Provider, G-Rated tires. I was initially going to have either Goodyears or Sailuns installed as replacements based on the input from this forum, but went with the Taskmaster Providers offered by America's Tire after my research showed these tires are about as close to a direct replacement for the Westlakes I had.

I too was concerned about the Westlakes, but concluded the issue was not so much the manufacturer as it was the improper weight-rated tires being installed (i.e., E-Rated tires versus G-Rated tires).

So far I can report that I have put over 5,000 miles on the Taskmasters with no issues. It's early of course, but I will report back if I encounter any issues with these tires. The other deciding factor for me was America's Tire has always provided great no-hassle service & they offer a great road hazard warranty at minimal additional costs. The pricing for each tire was also reasonable compared to the Goodyears & Sailuns. I kept my Westlake spare tire as my spare since it was still brand new. I will more than likely replace it the next time I need to buy tires, but more for its age than for any other reason.

Safe Travels, Diego!

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    They "may" last is a good way to put it, that's if they are never abused in any way. It will still be a coin flip, the problem with most Chinese junk is that one may last a week another one 10 years. It's called a lack of Process Control.
    This may be the case. Plenty of stories here on the E rated tires. I changed to F rated Carlisle 235 85 16 tires on our Reflection fifth wheel in December 2017 (slight extra height with the 85 ratio no problem) when the RV was about 16 months old and approximately 10000 miles. I kept the Westlakes and put them on a dump trailer we have in our business that uses the same 235 80 16 E rated tires and they are still in place on the dump trailer today with no issues. I suppose I was lucky enough to to get a good set. For me I don’t take any chances on the fifth wheel tires due to the distances we travel, the safety of the family and the potential for damage in the event of a failure. I run TPMS and check the tires regularly. The tires will be replaced December 2020 regardless of appearance or tread wear as I believe it is best practice not to run them longer than three years.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVRunners View Post
    This may be the case. Plenty of stories here on the E rated tires. I changed to F rated Carlisle 235 85 16 tires on our Reflection fifth wheel in December 2017 (slight extra height with the 85 ratio no problem) when the RV was about 16 months old and approximately 10000 miles. I kept the Westlakes and put them on a dump trailer we have in our business that uses the same 235 80 16 E rated tires and they are still in place on the dump trailer today with no issues. I suppose I was lucky enough to to get a good set. For me I don’t take any chances on the fifth wheel tires due to the distances we travel, the safety of the family and the potential for damage in the event of a failure. I run TPMS and check the tires regularly. The tires will be replaced December 2020 regardless of appearance or tread wear as I believe it is best practice not to run them longer than three years.
    I would take the west lakes over the carlisles in a heartbeat. Jmho
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clanker24 View Post
    I would take the west lakes over the carlisles in a heartbeat. Jmho
    Haven’t had any trouble with them. Tires we have are the Carlisle Radial Trail HD and are mostly well reviewed. There have been some failure reports for the smaller/lower load (C&D) rated tires. Like many others they are manufactured in China. I still have the TPMS in place and always will regardless of the brand/rating of tires I use.

I may be “preaching to the choir” here on this forum but believe that a significant number of tire failures are user error/neglect related. I know most of folks on here are conscientious and have still experienced failures. There have been and always will be a certain number of failures for Westlake tires and all other brands as well. The large majority of trailer tires on US roads are manufactured in China. Obviously there are American made options with higher pricing.

I sell work to consumers in my business as do many others. It amazes me how many consumers chase a low price first and foremost above all other considerations (some only care to buy at a low price and don’t give any other considerations a thought). This is one of the reasons the cheap overseas manufacturers have gotten such a foothold here in the US. The discount stores and online retailers are full of inexpensive foreign manufactured items for purchase and those outlets are jam packed.

I buy domestic products when they are available and will be looking for domestic tires that are right for my trailer when I purchase the next set in December 2020. I liked the “F” rating of the Carlisle tires as I was looking to upgrade from E rated but did not necessarily see the need for G rated as the trailer axles have been carrying around 10800 lbs the two times I have weighed at the CAT scales.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just swapped out my Westlake E rated tires for Goodyear Endurance yesterday. I got nearly a year of use out of them, relatively close trips (day drive). Fixing to go on road trip for Christmas (Georgia to Texas) and didn't want to take a chance.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be “preaching to the choir” here on this forum but believe that a significant number of tire failures are user error/neglect related.
    I agree 100% with the user error statement. The G rated Westlakes on my Solitude have been absolutely flawless in the year and 3500 miles I've put on them. I realize that's not a lot but I've never even had to add air to them, they stay at 110psi even in the cold! I was coming back to S.A. from Houston on Thanksgiving night in my daily driver and had a half ton Chevy pulling a 24-25 ft travel trailer pass me easily going 80-85 mph! I ran with him a while just waiting for one of the poor little 15 inch trailer tires to let go but amazingly it didn't happen. The truck was sagging badly and he didn't even have a WDH on it. People are crazy lol. I know his speed because I was on cruise at 80
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I agree 100% with the user error statement. The G rated Westlakes on my Solitude have been absolutely flawless in the year and 3500 miles I've put on them. I realize that's not a lot but I've never even had to add air to them, they stay at 110psi even in the cold! I was coming back to S.A. from Houston on Thanksgiving night in my daily driver and had a half ton Chevy pulling a 24-25 ft travel trailer pass me easily going 80-85 mph! I ran with him a while just waiting for one of the poor little 15 inch trailer tires to let go but amazingly it didn't happen. The truck was sagging badly and he didn't even have a WDH on it. People are crazy lol. I know his speed because I was on cruise at 80
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F9F3350-A6D2-4783-BA95-675B95256CCA.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	497.6 KB 
ID:	23700

Yes people are crazy. I drive several hundred miles each week in our local area checking on our projects frequenting I-65, I-71 and I-64 in the Southern Indiana/Louisville, KY and see a lot. Check the photo - I believe that’s a 1/2 ton RAM truck with an approx. 32’ TT and a Jeep!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F9F3350-A6D2-4783-BA95-675B95256CCA.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	497.6 KB 
ID:	23700

Yes people are crazy. I drive several hundred miles each week in our local area checking on our projects frequenting I-65, I-71 and I-64 in the Southern Indiana/Louisville, KY and see a lot. Check the photo - I believe that’s a 1/2 ton RAM truck with an approx. 32’ TT and a Jeep!
    Wow, that is nutz!
    In Colorado I know the State Patrol states a limit of 75 ft overall length but a vehicle behind a TT or 5th wheel? Not to mention if that is a 1/2 ton it's a disaster waiting to happen.
    2019 Reflection 367BHS with a few mods
    2018 F350 6.7 SRWD CCSB
    1971 F250 Highboy with lots & lots of mods...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI367BHS View Post
    Wow, that is nutz!
    In Colorado I know the State Patrol states a limit of 75 ft overall length but a vehicle behind a TT or 5th wheel? Not to mention if that is a 1/2 ton it's a disaster waiting to happen.
    Yes it was a RAM 1500. Crazy stuff out there on the interstate. Shame on me for whipping out my phone for a quick photo but I’d take a picture of a UFO if it landed in the middle of the insterstate as well!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast