User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refrigerator Not Switching Over To Gas

At least this occurred on the last trip of the year.

In normal operation when I unplug shore power I can hear the refrigerator clicking sound attempting to ignite the gas burner. On this last trip I did not hear the ignition sound and received the error light warning on front of the refrigerator. I attempted several times to cycle from electric to gas but come to realize there is an issue.

I am sure this has happened to others so I am anxious to hear what remedies I should consider, thanks in advance.
    2018 F150 4x4 3.5 ECO 3.55
    2017 Imagine 2500RL, Fastway E2 10K Hitch

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be a number of things. Are you sure the propane was full and valves open?

Did you try bleeding the line by using the stove?

Do all your other propane items work (stove, oven, furnace, water heater)? If not could be a bad regulator.

Was the slide in at the time? (Could be a pinched propane line at the slide)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Could be a number of things. Are you sure the propane was full and valves open?

Did you try bleeding the line by using the stove?

Do all your other propane items work (stove, oven, furnace, water heater)? If not could be a bad regulator.

Was the slide in at the time? (Could be a pinched propane line at the slide)

Thanks for your reply but none of your suggestions would cause the igniter not to function, which is what gives off the clicking noise. All of your suggestions would be a possibility if the igniter worked but no LP/gas present to ignite.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tent2tt View Post
    Thanks for your reply but none of your suggestions would cause the igniter not to function, which is what gives off the clicking noise. All of your suggestions would be a possibility if the igniter worked but no LP/gas present to ignite.
    Yes, good point. I was def focused more on the lack of propane, I think I skimmed over the igniter not clicking. I suppose you could pull the vent cover off the back and see if there is a related fuse or use a meter and see if the igniter is getting power when it should be igniting. (Not sure which fridge you have, but there should be a way to troubleshoot the igniter back there without removing the fridge)

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I do have easy access to the back of my refrigerator from the outside panel. I have been looking over some troubleshooting guides and also hope to get some replies from others that have already experienced this problem first hand.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the fridge set to electric operation only vs gas only or auto?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    MN_Rider

2019 354M Momentum
    2013 F350 CCSB 6.7

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check your harness plug in the circuit board. These thing get loose bouncing down the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ruled out everything but the Power Module Board which I have ordered. After I swap this control board I will follow up on this forum for future reference.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm watching this post very carefully as I just recently experienced the same problem for the first time. My 5th wheel is now just 3 years old and it has worked perfectly until last week. It failed to start the igniter when I unplugged the electric. Always before after a short pause when the AC was unplugged the igniter started clicking (I could even hear it inside the trailer). I went inside and pushed the on/off switch a few times and paused between each time to give the control board time to realize it needed gas operation. After about the 4th time I heard the clicking and went back outside to verify the burner was on.

My unit is a Norcold with only an on/off button on the front. Unlike other models or brands that may have a selector switch to choose between electric or gas, mine does not. It's supposed to be automatic. I suspect a corroded connection somewhere possibly on the control board and will dig into it tomorrow.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This may sound strange, but have you unplugged each and every wire, checked the plug condition and re-attached? On my old unit I had a similar problem and after pulling each plug, doing a bit of cleaning if necessary, the re-attaching, everything started working again. Fridge was 12 years old by that point, so had a bit of corrosion on some of the plugs - others were loose.
    Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast