User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broken slide trim

First time dealing with my rig fully loaded. I got it back from dealer and was setting it up in the RV park. The bedroom slide went out without a hitch. I started putting out the main slides and stopped immediately. I remembered all the posts warning to check for items that may have shifted hanging up the slides. I looked and looked. Everything looked clear but the little voice in my head kept telling me something wasn't right. After 5 or 10 minutes of checking and re-checking I continued extending the slides. It went off like a gunshot. A piece of the trim from the upper right corner of the couch slide shot across the trailer. I neglected to see that a suitcase I had stored in the loft had moved and wedged itself between the outer wall and the trim. It could have been worse. From know on I will stop until I figure out what that little voice is trying to tell me.
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 351M
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW CC 8 ft bed, B&W Companion hitch
    2018 Harley Davidson Roadglide Ultra
    2019 KTM 790 Adventure

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NFurno View Post
    First time dealing with my rig fully loaded. I got it back from dealer and was setting it up in the RV park. The bedroom slide went out without a hitch. I started putting out the main slides and stopped immediately. I remembered all the posts warning to check for items that may have shifted hanging up the slides. I looked and looked. Everything looked clear but the little voice in my head kept telling me something wasn't right. After 5 or 10 minutes of checking and re-checking I continued extending the slides. It went off like a gunshot. A piece of the trim from the upper right corner of the couch slide shot across the trailer. I neglected to see that a suitcase I had stored in the loft had moved and wedged itself between the outer wall and the trim. It could have been worse. From know on I will stop until I figure out what that little voice is trying to tell me.
    This has happened to all of us. The little voice in our head is telling us something is not right and then something gets broken. Glad it was only the slide trim and not something bigger or worse.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    This has happened to all of us. The little voice in our head is telling us something is not right and then something gets broken. Glad it was only the slide trim and not something bigger or worse.

Rob
    Happily my "little voice" was a whisper. Turned out it was a box of Kleenex got wedged behind the dining room/TV slide. I could just tell something didn't sound right. Thankfully, only a badly crushed/mangled Kleenex box. But I did find the open cabinet door that our stove/fridge slide would have caught had I not (now) been checking things before pushing that button.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Happily my "little voice" was a whisper. Turned out it was a box of Kleenex got wedged behind the dining room/TV slide. I could just tell something didn't sound right. Thankfully, only a badly crushed/mangled Kleenex box. But I did find the open cabinet door that our stove/fridge slide would have caught had I not (now) been checking things before pushing that button.
    Mine tends to be a couple of throw pillows for the couch. Fortunately these are soft and nothing gets damaged. On the 297RSTS you have to put out the kitchen slide about half way to be able to get in and check so I am taking my chances each time that there might be something that I can't see from the door.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Mine tends to be a couple of throw pillows for the couch. Fortunately these are soft and nothing gets damaged. On the 297RSTS you have to put out the kitchen slide about half way to be able to get in and check so I am taking my chances each time that there might be something that I can't see from the door.

Rob
    I put the dining table/TV slide out first after looking around it as best I can (there's really not much that can get in the way there, the Kleenex box was a mistake as I left it sitting on the end table to the recliner sofa). Once it's out I can walk over and look down the side of the stove/fridge slide to make sure the two cabinet doors and one drawer are closed.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the 311BHS, there is a door to the rear bath, that MUST be closed before moving the rear slide. If not, Major problem is in your future. Not happened to me, yet, but it is a MUST check when closing, make sure door is closed. Cannot see it when slide is in,
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS