User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My tow vehicle

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And once again Dennis..........an excellent post! Thank you and I hope this does indeed add some clarification to this and other discussions regarding towing weights and the dynamics of towing.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dennis, thanks for taking the time to assemble so much information. Much of it is irrefutable. It does ignore the fact that there is a marketing component to assigning GVWR. I don't think that any reasonable and informed person believes that manufacturers are using pure science and testing to determine GVWR. Certain segments of the market demand highly capable vehicles of a certain classification to reduce tax/registration burdens or to skirt DOT regulations. If that wasn't the case, there would be no reason for 250/2500 (3/4 ton) trucks or the option to arbitrarily de-rate 1 ton and larger trucks. The only reason I am driving a F250 is because it is a company vehicle. My employer would not allow me to purchase a Class 3 truck because it would be subject to DOT inspection and log requirements and I would need annual medical exams. I special ordered a F250 that is literally 99% of an F350 and I use it as such with 100% confidence that it is up to the task. Towing a 303RLS is not a challenge for my truck as equipped. Anyone implying that it is an unsafe situation is ignoring the actual components that make up this truck and is only focused on the stickers. I do understand the peace of mind that many feel by rigidly staying within the printed limits but it is possible to apply reason and logic to the situation and come to a different conclusion about the true capability of your truck. I also understand that it is a potentially slippery slope that could lead to justifying choices that are not reasonable.

The discussion about overtaxing the frame, engine, transmission, brakes, etc. are mostly irrelevant to this particular discussion because these components and most others are common to similarly equipped F250s and F350s. Therefore, if those components are up to the task in a F350, they are undeniably up to the task in a F250.

I would concur that there may be a threat of citation if one exceeds the GVWR/payload of their tow vehicle. In spite of the fact that I have read thousands (and participated in hundreds) of truck and RV related forum post over the years, I have never one time seen evidence of it actually happening.

I also concur that there may be a potential for legal action in the event of an accident when one is over the GVWR of their tow vehicle. As I stated in a previous post, nearly every accident involves some level of negligence on the part of someone. If you are going to approach rules, regulations and ratings with this sort of attitude, you had better make sure that you are 100% compliant. It would suck to be under your GVWR but exceeding the speed limit by 5 MPH when you have an accident. Clearly, you risk getting sued in nearly any situation in this day and age. Nobody does everything by the book all the time. Unfortunately, we are all at risk when interacting with other humans on the roads or anywhere else for that matter.

I always enjoy these discussions but they will never result in consensus.
    Last edited by JeffD68; 10-30-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last few posts have been great. I just want to insert my normal plea, which is to avoid exceeding the GVWR of the “equivalent” F350. I see many F250s towing 5th wheels that are well over my payload capacity. That would likely be indefensible in court, and the overload would be obvious without any weighing of the debris.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it interesting to note that the State of Washington licenses my HD2500 as the sum of its GAWR's, not GVWR, as noted on the registration.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    I find it interesting to note that the State of Washington licenses my HD2500 as the sum of its GAWR's, not GVWR, as noted on the registration.
    In Kansas, I can register my my 350 for up to 80,000 pounds but that doesn't make it Class 8 truck. It just means that pay higher registeration fee. The little old lady behind the counter can recerify your truck to safely carry more that what the manufacture specs claim or can she change the Class Rating assigned but our friends in the goverment.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skijobe View Post
    We purchased a 2019 337rls. Our tow truck is a 2017 Ford super duty 6.7 Power Stroke Crewcab XLT with 355 gears in the rear. We live in south Texas flat land does anyone have any ideas what my fuel mileage I should be expecting. I drive around 60 to 65 mph and this enough truck for this unit?
    Thanks
    With my F-350, 6.7 and 3.55 gears, in the state of Washington at sea level and 60 mph I get 11.0 +/- a few tenths.
    Last edited by SF-SGM; 11-02-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    Retired SF Sergeant Major
    Retired Sheriff's detective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've investigated quite a few collisions and served literally thousands of lawsuits and evictions. Always a good idea to consider an umbrella policy. I carry and extra $2 million. One never knows what a jury will do. Had a boy get his lip bitten off by a dog once and the insurance company put away $35k for the suit. Jury came back with a judgment of more than $100k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've investigated quite a few collisions and served literally thousands of lawsuits and evictions. Always a good idea to consider an umbrella policy. I carry an extra $2 million. One never knows what a jury will do. Had a boy get his lip bitten off by a dog once and the insurance company put away $35k for the suit. Jury came back with a judgment of more than $100k.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your post is the most comprehensive nonbiased post I've read in a long time to the point and factual

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    Need more information on your truck. F250 or F350? Single rear wheel or dually? What is the payload rating on the door jam sticker for YOUR truck? If it is a F250 with the diesel you will be WAY over your payload of around 2100 lbs
    You left out the F-450

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast