User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying new TT Imagine 2500RL

Hi folks looking for some input as I am in the process of buying a Imagine 2500RL.
    I own a 2013 F-150 Eco Boost 145" wheel base 3.55 axle and
    tow pkg with brake controller, Trans cooler etc. I am dreaming numbers
    at this point. What I am seeing is I should be fine towing this TT.
    The trailer listed at 5781 dry GVWR of 7k. Dry hitch weight of 581.
    My GCWR is 15,300 so with my tow vehicle is rated at 7100 I will always keep it below 7
    Anyways everything falls into place so I'm looking at about a total combined weight
    of around 13,800 give or take. Is anybody towing this with a f-150 eco boost I
    Feel pretty comfortable with this, thank you much folks.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a F350 and fifth wheel with no TT experience so you can take my comments with a grain of salt if you like. Looking at the GD website you are a little low on your stated dry and GVWR weight ratings and GD often delivers their trailers as built with higher dry and tongue weights. Even if you stay within the "legal" weight ratings of your truck you will be close and I don't think you will be happy with the way it tows. At almost 30' it is a long trailer and almost at your trucks weight limits. Even with a hitch set up perfectly and loaded tongue heavy which can be hard to do you will feel the tail wagging the dog with any uneven road, wind or passing semi.

I have a friend with a new F150 Echo Boost with the trailer tow package and a Imagine XLS 22RBE. This is shorter and lighter then what you are looking at and he is not happy with the way it tows. He has enough power but gets a lot of sway at times. He claims his hitch is set up correctly but I can't be sure.

I can understand budgets or maybe not wanting something like a F250 as a daily driver if that is your situation but sometimes there are compromises. Since you have the truck you can try it and maybe upgrade later if it doesn't work well for you. I just hope that is the trailer you really want and you have not selected it just to try and fit it to your truck and end up buying a heavier duty truck anyway.

Hopefully someone with your setup will chime in.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much thanks your comments are helpful

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juno69 View Post
    Hi folks looking for some input as I am in the process of buying a Imagine 2500RL.
    I own a 2013 F-150 Eco Boost 145" wheel base 3.55 axle and
    tow pkg with brake controller, Trans cooler etc. I am dreaming numbers
    at this point. What I am seeing is I should be fine towing this TT.
    The trailer listed at 5781 dry GVWR of 7k. Dry hitch weight of 581.
    My GCWR is 15,300 so with my tow vehicle is rated at 7100 I will always keep it below 7
    Anyways everything falls into place so I'm looking at about a total combined weight
    of around 13,800 give or take. Is anybody towing this with a f-150 eco boost I
    Feel pretty comfortable with this, thank you much folks.
    We have a similarly equipped F150 pulling our Imagine 2800BH and the setup works fine for us. The 3.5L EcoBoost and the 6-speed SelectShift transmission provide plenty of power and torque for towing - nothing to worry about there. Most likely your limiting factors are going to be your truck's hitch receiver rating (assume 1,050-lbs.?) and your truck's payload rating (probably around 1,500-lbs.?). Do yourself a favor and completely ignore the trailer's advertised UVW and hitch weight and use trailer's GVWR to estimate your numbers. Rough numbers here - if you guess 13.5% for the loaded trailer's tongue weight, that works out to 7,495-lbs. x 13.5% = 1,012-lbs. That puts you right at the truck's hitch receiver rating, and uses a big chunk of the truck's payload rating. Doable as long as you don't want to haul a bunch of other cargo in your truck. You can probably tow that trailer just fine with your F150; you just can't take all your other toys along with you to the campground. Maybe someone with a 2500RL can chime in with their actual weights.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we tow the same trailer with a 2018 F150 ECO. There is only two of us so truck is not loaded with passengers. We do carry 2 kayaks. We are close on payload but this pkg tows like a dream. We have not towed in the mountains yet but don't think that will be an issue. BTW we had a 2013 ECO before and it towed fine although a little lower payload to work with.
    If you do a search for F150 ECO or 2500rl you will find more info. I hve talked to a lot of people actually towing with a ECO and never found anyone who hated it. A couple of folks were disappointed in gas mileage.
    Some folks here will tell you you need a F350 to tow a pop up...just in case you ever want to go bigger. Nothing wrong with that if you agree with overkill

I would strongly suggest E rated LT tires. Also If you have some miles on your truck consider Bilstein shocks or similar.
    Last edited by riven1950; 11-21-2019 at 06:18 AM.
    2018 F150 Eco 4x4 XLT CC Max Tow Package
    Michelin Defender tires
    2019 GD Imagine 2500RL WDH