User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing hitch height - camper level or weight towards tongue?

Hello,

Growing up around farms and construction we were always taught to put weight towards the tongue, and I've seen the unfortunate results of trailers with too much weight towards the rear. It sounds like most people try to adjust their camper hitch it so they are trailering fairly level? I have read that 10-20% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue. I'm curious how one would prove this? I'd welcome some education on this topic!

I should note that I have a Blue Ox weight distributing hitch as well.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Timmer; 10-27-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the BlueOx on my GDRV 313RLTS. I keep the tongue weight at 12-15%. I verified it by:

1. Using a Sherline tongue weight scale to get the actual tongue weight.
    2. Taking a number of measurements at a CAT scale (truck only, truck with trailer) and then backing out the actual tongue weight as measured in step 1. This will give you the total trailer weight. Actual tongue weight/total trailer weight = % of tongue weight.

In my case, I discovered that my former truck (2016 Nissan Titan XD diesel) towed best at 12%. I have not towed it yet with my new truck, but suspect that it will still do best at ~ 12%.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FYI - the attitude of the trailer does not change the amount of weight on the ball, only the amount of weight ahead or behind the trailer axels does that. But, many do find that having the tongue of the trailer slightly lower than level does also improve handling.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sense to put enough weight on tongue to provide good control of TV, with weight on tongue you improve traction on rear wheels of tow vehicle. I like to see my truck swat down in rear just a little but not so much that rubber spring bumper is riding on axle pads.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been my experience with trailers that height of trailer front can change tongue weight. Also front high trailer puts more weight on rear trailer axle and nose down removes weight from rear axle and adds to front axle. Best to set hitch up with trailer even front to rear with the surface it is sitting on, if not then slightly lower in front. If WD hitch is properly set, just the weight removed from front axle of tow rig is returned to front axle of tow rig, the tongue weight stays on the hitch ball, and some to the trailer axles.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Hello,

Growing up around farms and construction we were always taught to put weight towards the tongue, and I've seen the unfortunate results of trailers with too much weight towards the rear. It sounds like most people try to adjust their camper hitch it so they are trailering fairly level? I have read that 10-20% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue. I'm curious how one would prove this? I'd welcome some education on this topic!

I should note that I have a Blue Ox weight distributing hitch as well.

Thanks!
    A good rule of thumb (best to actually go to a CAT scale and do a 3 weigh procedure to get it correct) on a tow behind is 10%-15% of the trailer's weight be the tongue weight. More specifically, most find that 12-13% is the optimum.

5th Wheel camping trailers are almost always 20%......and up to maybe 23 24% occasionally.

So with your setup, I would aim for that 12-13% number on the tongue and tow it as level as you can get it with the adjustments that you have available.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most everything I've read suggests that you try to keep the trailer parallel to the ground as well as try to keep the sway bars parallel to the front A frame.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want your trailer and truck level with weight to the front. More weight in the front doesn't mean that you can't sit level if the hitch and truck suspension is set up correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha, thanks.