User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Time Winterizing Questions

While performing my first winterization on my 2500RL I pulled the plug on the water heater and raised the vent valve. I was surprised little or no water came out.

Is this normal?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SJMaye; 10-28-2019 at 05:16 AM.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say no unless you've had your water heater in bypass mode and didnt know it. Your water heater should have a minimum of 6 gallons in it, possibly more depending on what water heater is installed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had just returned from a trip and had plenty of hot water, so I really don't think it was already in bypass mode. Now before draining the water heater I had already drained the hot and cold water line low points. It seemed to take a long time to finish. Is there any chance the water heater water drained when I did that?

2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's certainly a possibility depending how your drain points are plumbed. Maybe you got lucky and your low point drains are actually low. The way mine were installed I would almost call them high point drains from where the line actually taps into the plumbing, not very effective.

Anyway, if you pulled the plug, opened the relief valve on your water heater and barley anything came out, I would say its empty. I would put it in bypass mode and complete the winterization process.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple other winterization questions-

Holding Tanks- After the last trip I added a few gallons of water to the black tank via the black tank rinse. I normally do that so there is always a little water there to help break down anything that may have not washed out during the dump. Will it be safe to just add RV antifreeze via the toilet to avoid freezing?

Connection center switch- There is a blue switch / valve between city water and fresh tank fill. The selling dealer said it was for filling the fresh water tank or I could use the one on the outside of the trailer. I have never used this valve. When I did fill the fresh water tank I used the one on the side of the camper. What is this valve used for other than filling the fresh water tank? Seems like the one on the side of the camper is convenient enough. Not sure I understand the point of having both. What exactly is this valve for and does it have anything to do with winterization?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-10-28_6-11-15.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	23324

Blowout plug- I used compressed air to blow out remaining water from all points; low points, water heater, all faucets, outside spray ports. I set the compressor outlet pressure to 20psi to be safe. Is there any value to using a higher pressure like GD recommends in videos- ~50psi.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    A couple other winterization questions-

Holding Tanks- After the last trip I added a few gallons of water to the black tank via the black tank rinse. I normally do that so there is always a little water there to help break down anything that may have not washed out during the dump. Will it be safe to just add RV antifreeze via the toilet to avoid freezing?

Connection center switch- There is a blue switch / valve between city water and fresh tank fill. The selling dealer said it was for filling the fresh water tank or I could use the one on the outside of the trailer. I have never used this valve. When I did fill the fresh water tank I used the one on the side of the camper. What is this valve used for other than filling the fresh water tank? Seems like the one on the side of the camper is convenient enough. Not sure I understand the point of having both. What exactly is this valve for and does it have anything to do with winterization?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-10-28_6-11-15.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	23324

Blowout plug- I used compressed air to blow out remaining water from all points; low points, water heater, all faucets, outside spray ports. I set the compressor outlet pressure to 20psi to be safe. Is there any value to using a higher pressure like GD recommends in videos- ~50psi.
    SJMaye, I think the purpose of the fresh tank fill is two-fold: convenience -it’s easy to hook up a hose to water source and do something else as the tank fills, and secondly, not all trailers HAVE the direct fill port. I’m concerned that someday, we’ll need to fill our fresh tank, turn the valve to fill it only to discover that the mechanism no longer works. It’s been set to “city” since we bought it in August, 2017!
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    Now before draining the water heater I had already drained the hot and cold water line low points. It seemed to take a long time to finish. Is there any chance the water heater water drained when I did that?
    Yes...this is what happened. I also drained using low point ports and found that it drained the hot water heater. Buckaroo
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found I can drain the WH by opening the cold low point drain and one of the hot water faucets, so you probably drained it already. And I routinely use 40 PSI to blow out my lines.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    SJMaye, I think the purpose of the fresh tank fill is two-fold: convenience -it’s easy to hook up a hose to water source and do something else as the tank fills, and secondly, not all trailers HAVE the direct fill port. I’m concerned that someday, we’ll need to fill our fresh tank, turn the valve to fill it only to discover that the mechanism no longer works. It’s been set to “city” since we bought it in August, 2017!
    N
    I thought I had read that valve is prone to leaks and that some folks avoid using it for this reason.

2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have exchanged some PM's with forum member on winterizing using compressed air only, no antifreeze.

Does anyone else do this?

2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast