Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RV covers

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV covers

Heard some pros and cons to these covers. Can you share your experiences with them? Cant imagine not covering the 2150 during winter months...

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been plenty of to cover or not discussions, try a search in the upper right corner and you will get more than you'll feel like reading.

We were advised years ago by an independant RV repair company that they do not reccomend using covers but will be happy to sell us one then replace our roof when the cover eventually does damage from rubbing. He added no matter how tight you secure it it will eventually do something. Only had the TT for about 5 yrs and no issies. The 5er we are in way to often to even think about a cover.

If you are in a heavy snow area the cover may hamper clearing snow off the roof depending on material, if it gets to deep. I'm not sure what GD says about snow load limits and their roofs
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do cover, make sure you get a "breathable" cover. You don't want to provide mold/mildew a comfortable place to populate.
    Scott M. Barlag
    Burns Harbor, IN

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Covers are going to move around in windy conditions. Moving around is going to rub the outer surface and damage the finish. I put one on an enclosed trailer I had several years ago. and tired it down right. You won't win that battle.....a cover and wind. The following spring when I took the cover of, I was amazed at the rub marks in the paint. Never again will that happen and I always advise against it.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had covers, and now don't cover. They are a pain to put on and take off. The cover always get torn someplace after a couple of seasons. They never pack down to original size, hence a pain to store something that large. I had a bag to put my last cover in, still a pain to get it small enough to fit back in the bag. I vote for NO cover.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyK View Post
    Heard some pros and cons to these covers. Can you share your experiences with them? Cant imagine not covering the 2150 during winter months...
    Biggest con for us - it would require multiple trips up on top of the rig to put it on, and then take it off again. Since we travel about every 2-3 weeks, it just wasn't worth the risk of us "older" folks having to do that.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new RV cover......

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pro-cover. I have always covered my trailers and never had an issue of any sort. I also cover my truck because I have a Miata that I use as my daily driver. I live in San Diego so snow is not an issue but the sun is relentless. To me, nothing makes a RV look worse than oxidized fiberglass and faded/cracking decals. Are covers a pain to install? Yes. Are you lucky to get more than a year out of them? Yes. In spite of those negatives, I will continue to cover my trailer.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used an ADCO cover for 6 years on my 5th wheel with zero issues. Gotta be smart about it. Keep it snug but not super tight to cause stress. Cover gutter extensions with tennis balls and some Tyvek tape to hold the balls on.
    Never had any wear issues. Just bought another ADCO cover for my TT. It has the nice white top and two tone sides. As far as putting in on goes. It's really not hard. Just grab the front section of the cover and drag it up the ladder. Walk it to the front of the RV, then open out the sides over the side of the RV. Takes all of 20 mins to do my cover after the 1st time.
    The 1st time is harder because they come rolled up and you have to find the front and the side with the zippers.
    After one time you can roll it up so it's ready for the next time without searching for which way it goes on.
    Having a helper lift the cover up while you're pulling it to the front helps as it can get caught on the bumper if you have one.
    Nice thing about a cover is that if you cleaned the outside nicely before covering it will look as nice when you pull the cover off. It also keeps debris off, moss or algae won't grow and it keeps the rain from pounding on the RV. Plus what little UV you have, the RV is protected from it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years ago when we had our class A, I always kept it covered. Like JeffD68 above we were in San Diego (Poway too actually) where the sun can be intense. Initially I bought a cheap cover and was surprised how fast it deteriorated. Literally in less than a year, I could rub the fabric between my fingers and it would turn to dust. Then I ordered a custom Sunbrella cover and it worked great. I made sure to wash the rig before I'd put the cover on. If we got back late from a trip and couldn't wash it, I wouldn't put the cover on. I felt if the cover were placed on a dirty rig, that's where the wear issues might come from.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast