User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RV covers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The open Shed Who is the Manufacturer What size and How much $$$.
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the cover. I used one (ADCO) on the Hybrid TT we had before the 5th wheel and the trailer looked great when we removed the cover after a Colorado winter. I think the UV damage uncovered would be far more extensive than any rub spots covered. Cover the tires too. We snugged it up and the material is very breathable so no risk of mold.
    Mark
    2020 Reflection 303RLS 2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie HO Cummins
    2018 Flagstaff Shamrock 21SS Hybrid (previous)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Covers

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    I am pro-cover. I have always covered my trailers and never had an issue of any sort. I also cover my truck because I have a Miata that I use as my daily driver. I live in San Diego so snow is not an issue but the sun is relentless. To me, nothing makes a RV look worse than oxidized fiberglass and faded/cracking decals. Are covers a pain to install? Yes. Are you lucky to get more than a year out of them? Yes. In spite of those negatives, I will continue to cover my trailer.

I live in Southern California and keep my rig covered all year long when not in use. I agree 100% that covering your RV especially in So Cal is a must if stored out doors. I have had mine covered for two years now with same cover and have had no issues what so ever with rubbing or mold. It is somewhat of a PITA but will keep my rig looking new for years to come. We have an Eevelle Expedition. Very happy with it. We will only get two years out of it but that ok. Got it on Amazon for 50% off on open box.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out two cents and about $500 about our cover...

We have a 2016 Solitude 379FL. We live in Michigan and camp about 4 weeks total in the summer. My boss lets us relocate to Florida in the winter (I travel all over). We (mostly my wife) want us to get a cover to "protect" our investment. Spent an entire weekend online looking at covers and reading reviews before finally deciding on one of the highest rated and least panned covers that had a "limited" 5-year warranty. A picture is below. Here are our thoughts...

1. DO NOT even think about trying to put a cover on a large unit if even one (1) leaf is moving from the breeze of a butterfly's wings! A cover for a 42 foot RV is nothing but a giant parachute that will yank you right off the roof before you even know what happened! Any breeze at all make the cover much stronger than you are. Don't do it with ANY breeze at all.

2. We bought both 1/2 and 3/4 water pipe foam insulation tubes. These were cut and formed to wrap each ladder rung, the TV antenna, gutter spouts, and anything else with a sharp edge so the cover would not wear a hole (The 379FL ladder is on the side of the unit). The foam is reusable, but it takes a $10 pack of large zip ties every time we put the cover on.

3. I concur with the previous post that claims that the cover will NEVER again fit inside the bag it came in. It won't. Just find a safe, dry place to lay it in an organized pile....yards and yards of material! We use the original bag to store the ropes, ties, and the foam parts mentioned above.

4. It weights more than you think it would, and you will definitely need a separate step ladder to get the rolled-up wad of material up there. Ground preparation is required to get it rolled and oriented properly before it goes up. Our new cover was not folded according to how the directions said it was and blew off the roof (with >ME< still up there) before I could get it oriented correctly. We had to refold it correctly and haul it up there again.

5. The material is basically light, but there is so much of it that if it gets too much on one side the weight will pull the rest of it down before you can get to where you need to be to balance it left and right. Don't forget, you cannot see where you are stepping with the cover there and it is very possible (probable?) that you could trip over a vent or antenna and fall off the roof!

6. When you finally get the cover on the trailer and strapped down, make sure you parked in a place out of the wind! We live in a rural area where it is rarely calm. The unit was parked in our yard. 4 hours of 25 mph winds caused the cover to rotate to one side, break two of the plastic strap clips, and fell to the ground, after which is spent the next two years in a heap in the back of the barn.

7. The cover was again put on our unit in September. This time we made sure the 5 straps were banjo string-tight. Then I used ropes to draw in the leftover material tight to the rear bumper. We have had some hard wind and gusts since and we thought we were going to lose it again, but it is still there. We hope it stays for 6 more weeks until we take it off (hopefully without snow on it) to go to Florida.

We are not trying to talk anyone out of using an RV cover. However, we are trying to mention a lot of the things the sellers of these covers fail to mention. Good luck with your covers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191019_111215087.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	23497

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    My new RV cover......

Xrated, I don't want to highjack this thread but I was wondering what are the dimensions of your cover L x W x H? Also if you don't mind saying what did it cost? Did you install it or did you have it installed?
    Thanks ahead.
    Paul

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plrboat17 View Post
    Xrated, I don't want to highjack this thread but I was wondering what are the dimensions of your cover L x W x H? Also if you don't mind saying what did it cost? Did you install it or did you have it installed?
    Thanks ahead.
    Paul
    Hi Paul. This one is 45 Long by 13 Wide by 13 High. The length is actually 46' as there is 6" of overhang on the front and back. I really couldn't go any wider or I would have been infringing onto the road easement beside my house. My trailer is a Momentum 394M and I will say this.....it fits, but you better be almost perfect when backing it in. The first time I backed it in I had my wife behind the trailer by about 50 feet, watching as I slowly came back. After I got it centered and as far back as I wanted it, I got some Red spray paint and sprayed the gravel as a making or alignment Mark for the trailer tires. Now, as I back it in, all I have to do is keep the edge of the trailer tires right next to the painted lines.....and life is good. I would highly recommend a taller and wider carport if you have the room.....I didn't, so it is what it is and it works for me. I can get my slides partially out, but not completely while in the carport. The thing that really cuts down on the side clearance is the braces that go from the vertical legs to the top of the trusses. Anyway, I paid someone to do the grade work, I put the 4" x 6" treated posts around the perimeter of the pad, and I also paid to have it installed. Price for the carport including installation was just under $7K as it sits. And that was with two 3' side panels that run full length, 12 ga. sheeting, "U" channel on the bottom of the sheeting, and the high wind anchoring on both sides....plus a fable end on the back of it, as it isn't a drive through....again, I didn't have room for that method.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Xrated, I am looking into getting one for my RV pad besides my house. The one you have looks great!! Thanks again for the reply.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an ADCO 34843, second year and it is now on the 2150RB. It was a 24-26 footer and is about a foot too long but still fits the trailer. It comes with a leader cover (protects the tyvek top) and slip on single wheel/tire covers. bought it at Camping world during a 40% off sale. It was discounted another 10% as it was an in store stock special of some kind. As noted above be smart about putting it on.
    I leave it in the storage bag and toss it on the roof. Have it rolled inside out and mark the front and back. Start about mid-ships, unroll it end to end then open each side and let it drop over the sides. Takes about 10 minutes. The ADCO comes with some weights that attach to the tie straps that let you toss them under the trailer to get to the other side. You can also use a small spring clamp if you like. The 34843 has curb side zippered panels allowing you access with the cove in place. I also use the gutter spout guards, they were about $20, big improvement from tennis balls, which is a misuse of tennis balls in my dog’s opinion.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    I leave it in the storage bag and toss it on the roof. ...
    Yeah, "toss it on the roof". Some of us older folks just don't have the ability to "toss" a 50 pound item up 13 feet.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well at 70 laps of the sun and an arthritic hip, the 8 ft ladder is an easy climb and maybe roll the bag onto the roof. If not comfortable with heights, don’t cover it.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12