User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is a 1 ton truck a commercial vehicle in Texas?

Hey all,

I live in Texas and am planning to purchase a Silverado 3500 as my new TV. Does Texas fall into the category of state that treats 1 ton trucks as commercial vehicles? Do I need a CDL if the truck is pulling a big 5th wheel?

Sorry if this question is naïve, but I'm new to HD trucks.

Thanks

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as a 1-ton goes, it does not make it commercial off the bat. It's how you register it.

Texas IS one of the states that does require non-commercial Class A or B driver's license. If you're going to pull a "big 5th wheel" with a 1-ton truck, good chance you'll cross the 26K weight threshold and need the non-commercial Class A.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much geotex1.

Is that 26k threshold based on the actual weight of the vehicle and the trailer combined, or is it based on the GCVWR of the two on paper?

Also

What's involved in getting a non-commercial Class A license? And will I get hit with any special taxes on the truck just because it's a 1 ton truck?

thanks again for helping me.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenerus View Post
    Thanks very much geotex1.

Is that 26k threshold based on the actual weight of the vehicle and the trailer combined, or is it based on the GCVWR of the two on paper?

Also

What's involved in getting a non-commercial Class A license? And will I get hit with any special taxes on the truck just because it's a 1 ton truck?

thanks again for helping me.
    It's based on the "paper" numbers.

Base fees are found here: https://www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/do...s-fee-chart-1c

Your locality will hit you with theirs as well.

To get the license, you have to pass both knowledge and skills tests. It's way better organized than getting it here in PA too - by miles!!! Several in our camping group are current Texans (I've not lived there in a number of years). Nonetheless, here is a good resource for you put together by one of those in our camping group: https://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/1253...-upgrade-faqs/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again.

So does everyone who buys a 1 ton dually in one of these states with a high GVWR need to go get a class A license?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again.

So does everyone who buys a 1 ton dually in one of these states with a high GVWR need to go get a class A license?

I went to the local DMV and was told there was not such requirement. I posted on another forum that Kansas didn't require one and was given a link to Kansas DMV website and sure enough it stated I do needed one. Went back DMV and supervisor said I didn't one and I show what said on the website. Sure. enough I do need one. The lady behind the counter said I told everyone that ask they didn't need one. The supervisor said "it the respondsability of the person to know what it required. Yea Right.

If I remember right there only 17 states that require a difference one.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again.

It's not the truck, it's the combination weight. In the handful of States requiring such licenses for recreational towing, it is your legal obligation to have the license if your rig meets the requirements. You will get plenty of armchair experts on these forums saying you can play dumb about the requirements, but be involved in an accident with injury or loss of life and watch your insurance company leave you high and dry because it is YOUR responsibility to know your State regulations. If you have some time, research the law and you will see this is exactly the case.

Personally, I am for EVERY State having an endorsement for drivers who tow. In fact, there should be several depending on various factors in my opinion. Every day I drive the roads I can find someone towing improperly and a threat to the safety of others. Further, this past weekend I watched someone loose his truck and trailer not knowing what he was doing on a boat launch ramp.
    Last edited by geotex1; 10-12-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for all your help guys, this has been a life saver.

My takeaway is that I don't need a class A license just to own the truck because it's GVWR isn't over 26,000lbs. But if the CGVWR of the truck and it's 5th wheel exceeds 26k, then I need to get myself a class A license.

Does that sound right?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for all your help guys, this has been a life saver.

My takeaway is that I don't need a class A license just to own the truck because it's GVWR isn't over 26,000lbs. But if the CGVWR of the truck and it's 5th wheel exceeds 26k, then I need to get myself a class A license.

Does that sound right?
    That is correct. Almost Class A non commercial. There is a difference in Class A licensees.
    I have one for Texas Class A non commercial exempt.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again.

It's a function of the GVWR of the truck AND the GVWR of the trailer PLUS together they have to add up to over 26,000 lbs. You can see a run-down by state here:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast