User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reccs for new Tow vehicle tires

2017 GMC SRW 265/70 R18. We currently have Michelin LTX-AT2 tires that I am happy with (40k miles and just hit the wear bars) but for whatever reason these are on backorder everywhere. Local shop expects 6-8 weeks. Living in the snowbelt I need to replace soon. Any reccs? I can get Michelin defender LTX but not sure on these.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put BFG KO2 LR E on my GMC and couldn't be happier. I only had to wait 4 days for shipping.
    2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 6.2l aka "Luci"
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE aka "Desi"

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running Michelin Defenders on our F350 and I'm very happy with them. I was also happy with the Generals that came on the truck, too - got excellent miles out of them and only replaced them because of age. Again, very happy with the Defenders. There are dozens of TV tire threads on the forum using the search tool...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwktlg8 View Post
    2017 GMC SRW 265/70 R18. We currently have Michelin LTX-AT2 tires that I am happy with (40k miles and just hit the wear bars) but for whatever reason these are on backorder everywhere. Local shop expects 6-8 weeks. Living in the snowbelt I need to replace soon. Any reccs? I can get Michelin defender LTX but not sure on these.
    Have heard a lot of good things about the Defenders. Might also want to look at Kumho Crugen HT51. These are also snowflake rated. Had them on my Tundra and were a very nice tire for towing and not towing. Lot less money than Michelin. Had LTX previously and I would say these rival the Michelins.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same combo as you. I must have a heavier right foot. I only got 33K out of my OEM tires.

I went with Nitto EXO grapplers AWT. I was also looking for a size that had a heavier load capacity but would still fit without any mods to the truck. (I also have a plow for the winter so the front end has 700 lbs hanging 2' off the bumper) They have a somewhat odd size (285/70/18) that upped the rating 300lbs+ per tire. They are 3 peak snow rated and they also have a "heavy duty" rating which the other e rated tires didn't have, whatever that means.

I'm at 21k on the new tires and they seem to be wearing at a much better rate than the OEM tires. MY only complaint is that they have a more aggressive tread than I would prefer and are not what I would call a quiet tire. Not mud tire loud, but louder than stock or other AT's I have owned. Especially when new and after a rotation. They seem to quite down after a bit. If they last significantly longer then I can live with it.

If I don't get significantly better life out of these then I think I'll move to a 295/70. Much better selection of tires, even higher load capacity, and they should still fit without issue. I wasn't sure when I bought my current tires so I erred on the smaller side
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just spoke to my local GMC dealer who I have a good relationship with. Apparently they were trying to source these tires and the Michelin LTX AT/2 has been discontinued. It looks like I will be going with the defender LTX M/S
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwktlg8 View Post
    I just spoke to my local GMC dealer who I have a good relationship with. Apparently they were trying to source these tires and the Michelin LTX AT/2 has been discontinued. It looks like I will be going with the defender LTX M/S
    Huh? Sounds fishy?

Going by tire rack here is a quick search result. Michelin AT/ 2 1 day service where I live. I ran a general Demoines IA Zip (50301) and it was 10/31 out of the Denver Dist Center.

Personally, I would get them from tire rack and find a local tire shop for mount and balancing if your heart is set on these tires.

As for recommendations, I toss a set of Nitto RidgeGrapplers my truck. we were excellent in the snow when I got the chance to finally drive in it. They have been a quiet A/T tire and seem to have descent life for what they are. Michy's are nice tires for the price. Unfortunately, I was not impressed with the AT 2s that came on my 350 though. They seem to have poor traction on most wet surfaces.

Good luck with your search.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Costco usually has a special Michelin tire that's comparable to the Defenders in quality with a slightly different tread pattern. It's known as the Walmart tire because only W/M and Costco have access to that specific tire. It comes often with the $80 charge card rebate too.

I've had Firestones and Toyo's. Going back to Michelins from here on on my diesel pickup. If I was to go to any other tire, it'd be the Bridgestone Duravis R500s which are also fantastic tires.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
    Huh? Sounds fishy?

Going by tire rack here is a quick search result. Michelin AT/ 2 1 day service where I live. I ran a general Demoines IA Zip (50301) and it was 10/31 out of the Denver Dist Center.
    I would agree but they were on backorder on tirerack last several weeks until this afternoon. I actually ordered them through my local costco 6-7 weeks ago but they called me yesterday saying they dont know when or if they would be able to get them either and suggested we cancel the order. Between gmc dealer, costco and up until this afternoon tirerack not being in stock it sounded legit to me
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Costco usually has a special Michelin tire that's comparable to the Defenders in quality with a slightly different tread pattern. It's known as the Walmart tire because only W/M and Costco have access to that specific tire. It comes often with the $80 charge card rebate too.

I've had Firestones and Toyo's. Going back to Michelins from here on on my diesel pickup. If I was to go to any other tire, it'd be the Bridgestone Duravis R500s which are also fantastic tires.
    I agree. I actually ordered Defender LTX m/s tonight from costco with install tmw. They honored their promotion for 80$off tires plus additional $70 off ($150 total) that ended yesterday since we had tires on order that they couldnt fulfill. Cant argue with their nitrogen fill, lifetime rotation and balance and road hazard warranty either
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast