User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinCalgary View Post
    Hi Julie, our first Tacoma was a 2010 4x4 TRD Sport and it pulled our first trailer quite well, Palomino dry wt 3300 lbs. We got an incredible trade in on the 2010 and went for a 2019. At that time, we also decided to upgrade the trailer and chose the Grand Design 17MKE. That one weighs about 4800 lbs dry so I knew the Taco with 6400lb towing could manage it if we didn’t load it up. The issue we had with the Taco centred on the small 70 litre fuel tank and having to fuel up whenever we got between 1/4 and 1/2 tank...there were times when I didn’t think we’d make the next gas station. The other issue was the payload which was 1000 lbs. With a tongue weight of 500 lbs and my wife and I and the Labrador, it didn’t leave much of a weight buffer...especially if we added in the weight of a full 5 gallon gas can. So after Trying to tow with the Taco, we ended up with a Ford F-150 Lariat with. 5.0 V8. This truck has a payload of 1720 lbs and towing capacity of around 10500 lbs...best of all, it has 136 litre fuel tank and the fuel economy isn’t too much different from the Taco...Overall, the extra couple of $$ for fuel more than compensates for the greater capacity and utility of the Ford over the Taco. I should mention that I am a devoted Toyota guy going back to my 1st new vehicle (1981 diesel land cruiser) so going ‘domestic’ was a shakey decision. I am quite confident that it was the right choice for us as we move Into retirement mode and longer trips. If I was just doing relatively short trips, the Taco would be fine as long as you watched all the gas stations carefully. I hope this helps.
    I went down a similar path. I had a 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4. Bought it when there was no discussion of ever getting a trailer. Then a couple of months after I bought it my wife and her sister and brother in law (we've been traveling with them for five years) started talking about buying a trailer instead of staying in hotels when we travel so we started looking for one. Settled on the 17MKE though we haven't bought it yet. I spent hours crunching the numbers, reading reviews, and watching Youtube videos and in the end I came to the conclusion that while on paper the Tacoma could pull a 17MKE it just wasn't a good idea. So I traded in the Tacoma on a F150. It should easily handle the 17MKE and with the Max Trailer Towing package it has the 36 gallon fuel tank so I won't have to stop every 100 miles for gas.

I do have a question. I've looked everywhere and can not find the exterior width (slide in) of the 17MKE. I'm wondering because my truck has the standard mirrors and I'm wondering if I need to get tow mirrors. Can you tell me the width of the trailer and what tow mirrors you are using?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    I do have a question. I've looked everywhere and can not find the exterior width (slide in) of the 17MKE. I'm wondering because my truck has the standard mirrors and I'm wondering if I need to get tow mirrors. Can you tell me the width of the trailer and what tow mirrors you are using?
    I don’t have the tape measure out, but believe its an 8ft trailer. You can see down the side with the F150 mirrors (I have that trailer and the 150), but tow mirrors help see what is behind the trailer much better. Are they necessary? Probably not. But I appreciate having them. There are ones out there (I got mine on etrailer) that look nearly factory and work well.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I don’t have the tape measure out, but believe its an 8ft trailer. You can see down the side with the F150 mirrors (I have that trailer and the 150), but tow mirrors help see what is behind the trailer much better. Are they necessary? Probably not. But I appreciate having them. There are ones out there (I got mine on etrailer) that look nearly factory and work well.
    I was considering getting these https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirr...ID=20204001702 but wasn't sure if they would extend out far enough for me to see down the side of the trailer. I'm going to buy an observation camera system to see behind the trailer and looking for mirrors that will allow me to see the down the sides of the trailer. I was thinking of getting replacement telescoping mirrors but rather not spend that kind of money if I don't have to plus they stick out farther even when not telescoped out which I'd rather not have.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was considering getting these https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirr...ID=20204001702 but wasn't sure if they would extend out far enough for me to see down the side of the trailer. I'm going to buy an observation camera system to see behind the trailer and looking for mirrors that will allow me to see the down the sides of the trailer. I was thinking of getting replacement telescoping mirrors but rather not spend that kind of money if I don't have to plus they stick out farther even when not telescoped out which I'd rather not have.
    Those are what I have. They are great for that trailer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    Those are what I have. They are great for that trailer.
    Great! Thanks.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How wide the the 17MKE? I haven't been able to find that spec anywhere on line. Thanks.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, do you know how wide the Imagine is? I can find length and height but not width.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went down a similar path. I had a 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4. Bought it when there was no discussion of ever getting a trailer. Then a couple of months after I bought it my wife and her sister and brother in law (we've been traveling with them for five years) started talking about buying a trailer instead of staying in hotels when we travel so we started looking for one. Settled on the 17MKE though we haven't bought it yet. I spent hours crunching the numbers, reading reviews, and watching Youtube videos and in the end I came to the conclusion that while on paper the Tacoma could pull a 17MKE it just wasn't a good idea. So I traded in the Tacoma on a F150. It should easily handle the 17MKE and with the Max Trailer Towing package it has the 36 gallon fuel tank so I won't have to stop every 100 miles for gas.

Gary, have you bought your trailer yet? In terms of width, Trailer mirrors really help and I got a set off kijiji for cheap...they are the cippa slip-ons and they work well on my 2019 f150. Where I live, the traffic laws seem to require trailer mirrors for travel trailers so you might need to check your regulations. We have just installed a furrion 7inch S series camera and its working well too.
    Deb and Rick
    Calgary, Canada
    2020 2600RB
    2019 F150 Lariat 5.0, 373

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Julie, I don’t have that measurement, sorry! My trailer is in a storage yard right now but will measure the width next time I am out there....it’s a 2600RB but probably same width as most other Grand Design travel trailers (I could be wrong)... I think it’s about 8 feet. Where I live the motor vehicle regulations require towing mirrors if you can’t see past your trailer. I got a set of Cippa towing mirrors off kijij for cheap and they are very easy to slip on and work well. Hope this helps!
    Deb and Rick
    Calgary, Canada
    2020 2600RB

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, as someone who traded in a 17mke for something with a non-Murphy bed, I am thinking that you might want to think carefully about the Murphy arrangement now that you have a bigger truck. I had a Tacoma and now have f150 so with the new 2600rb, my weight numbers from the CAT scale are well within all limits.
    Deb and Rick
    Calgary, Canada
    2020 2600RB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast