Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=zygmunt;362400]**********

Hello,

We just traded in our Tacoma for a 2018 Tundra. I can't wait to tow my 17MKE. Zigman
    Best Regards,

Ziggy

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 17MKE and pull it with a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off-road . Two things made a huge difference. Roadmaster active suspension for the weight rather than airbags. And most importantly the KDMax 6.0 aftermarket tune. Tune adds 20+ hp and torque. Normal drivability is amazing. No gear hunting and slightly better mileage. I am also an authorized tuner for the KDMax tunes.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    Thanks for the update. I appreciate the information. I changed my mind about the 17MKE, and purchase something else.
    Thanks Again! Ziggy
    Best Regards,

Ziggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pgmalen View Post
    We have a 17MKE and pull it with a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off-road . Two things made a huge difference. Roadmaster active suspension for the weight rather than airbags. And most importantly the KDMax 6.0 aftermarket tune. Tune adds 20+ hp and torque. Normal drivability is amazing. No gear hunting and slightly better mileage. I am also an authorized tuner for the KDMax tunes.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but adding airbags, helper springs, etc. does nothing to change the cargo carrying capacity of the truck or the GVWR. All they do is add weight and maybe improve ride and handling. As I said in an earlier post my tongue is 960 lbs when loaded for a trip according to a tongue weight scale. The weight sheet that came with the trailer said 600 lbs. I believe that 960 lbs exceeds the tongue weight capacity of the Tacoma. Have you weighed your tongue with a tongue weight scale? Subtract the tongue weight from the cargo carrying capacity listed on the door frame sticker and there is little weight left for you and passengers much less any other cargo you might want to put in the truck.

I would be curious as to how well it pulls the 17MKE up steep grades. Living in the central valley of northern California I can't go anywhere without going over some pretty steep grades. My 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 V6 slowed down on steep grades pulling a small cargo trailer. I can only imagine what it would be like pulling my 17MKE up those grades when loaded for a multi week trip with a Tacoma. Probably not fun at least according to everything I read online from people pulling similar size trailers with a Tacoma.

Having said that I know there are a lot of people out there pulling travel trailers the size and weight of a 17MKE and even larger. I guess it works for them. I just prefer the safety margin a larger truck provides not to mention being able to maintain the speed limit going up steep grades. But I have to admit my Tacoma was fun to drive and easily handled rough off road trails. I don't think I could take my F150 some of the places I took my Tacoma.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read the same information you did and was concern. I traded my 2017 Tacoma with 35,000 for a 2018 Tundra with 33,000. I am happy with my decision. I am still waiting for my RV. I ordered it on my Eyes of March, and still waiting on it. The good thing, I was able to research the towing compatibility of a Tacoma and able to swap trucks before the price increase. My neighbor has a 2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 2x4 w/Max trailer and the towing package, and have been towing a GD 22MLE without any issues so far. All his trips been to the Outer Banks and Myrtle Beach, so there wasn't any mountains involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zygmunt View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks for the update. I appreciate the information. I changed my mind about the 17MKE, and purchase something else.
    Thanks Again! Ziggy
    If you don’t mind me asking, what did you go with?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234