User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spent the weekend cutting holes in the camper

After removing the docking station side panel, and drawers in the bedroom in order to access valves for winterizing a couple weeks ago, I decided to make it a little easier next year.
    Lowe's has plastic access panels in the plumbing department that looked like they might do what I needed. I installed a 12x12 panel in the side of the docking station to access the water pump and siphon hose, and a 6x9 panel in the board below drawers in the bedroom to access the water heater bypass.
    Didn't snap any pictures, but the install was straight forward. I marked around the panels and did the cutting with my Dewalt oscillating saw, then used silicone to attach them. I painted the panel in the bedroom with Krylon "coffee bean" brown, which is a pretty close match to the cappuccino.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Acudor-12-i...nel/1000772952
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Load-...Panels/3130137
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another, I have to ask, but were the bypass valves for the hot water heater installed by GD? If so... what were they thinking by putting them in such an inaccessible space/place?

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, nice job! Great when DIYers can make improvements... I've done several to my Solitude and the problem is when you are done and get it all fixed up, how about trading up...
    Larry and Vicki
    2016 Solitude 305RE - Sailun S637 ST
    2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ
    TranferFlow 50 Gal Aux Tank
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also use a ships hatch. I installed one of these on my last camper that was not as easy to use as my Solitude.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076TJC9R6/
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of a follow-up, I got the idea of attaching with silicone from the panel paperwork, and in the description on Lowe's web page. I had an older tube of silicone that seemed to be okay, but found out later that wasn't the case. After several days, the silicone was still sticky and the panel in the basement was pulling away from the wall.
    Many paper towels later, the mess was wiped off the panel and the wall. I re-attached with pop rivets and washers , added a few in the bedroom too just for safety's sake.
    Lesson learned: start with a fresh tube of silicone on each project, not one that is many months old.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just winterized my 2970RL and decided to do the same thing you did. Thanks for the links to the parts.
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whaaat? Or buy a model that had some thought put into its design

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's in three years when we retire and go full time.
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded