Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not proposing to support one mfg vs another - - Carefree of Colorado makes slide toppers with numerous colors and materials available. They also have a "hidden mounting bracket" that takes care of the refrigerator vent problem. My Reflection 303RLS had the same issue so I called C-of-C and purchased the hidden mounting brackets. They advised that most of their dealers are unaware of these brackets; thus they sold them to me directly. The brackets mount to the lower area of the trim rail and the finished job is very clean. Although their normal arrangement calls for only 2 brackets for slides less than 191-inches, I used 3 on the one that is 175" and glad I did.

If anyone wants/needs the bracket number I will be glad to find it.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

RobandKatToms
    I would be interested in knowing the people here that have had slide toppers installed- where were they mounted? Our dealer mounted the brackets on the top corner of the fascia or 'edging' of the slide when ordinarlily they are suppose to be mounted on each top corner of the slide wall. They said it is because the fascia is so wide that mounting the hardware lower would cause the fabric to rub or touch the edge of the fascia & any water accumulating from rain would make it rub or hit worse... The slide with the fridge vent stops the proper method of mounting so again, they mounted it on the fascia corners. Don't know if the fascia's have the same strength as the slide wall? Don't know if we have been hood-winked by dealer error... They are saying now that they can add a rail above the oem topper rail, in black, so that the toppers have more of an angle for better water run off... Some put beach balls or inner tubes under the toppers so we will try that. I don't want a second rail installed and not sure if i want them to correct what they did with replacing new fascia's or leave it all alone... Any recommendations or suggestions? Thanks...

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave it alone. It is fine.

GD has spec'd the fascias to hold the slide toppers. It is an accepted way to mount them.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is done is done. If the slide cover brackets are mounted to the top of the trim rail just pay attention over time to trim rail possibly pulling loose from the slideout wall. IMO - if it starts pulling away then more screws or rivets may be necessary to secure the trim rail. Depending on slide-out cover brand some may require high bracket mounting. C-of-C does not and was a major factor in my decision to use them, they have short, long, and hidden mounting brackets. The hidden mounting bracket takes care of the refrigerator vent perfectly with no rubbing of the vinyl and gives proper slope for water runoff.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev&Gin View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Like Ken I was concerned about added heat due to the dark color and thinking a beige would reflect more. Thanks again.
    I don't have slide toppers on my fiver. While I've never minded cleaning the slide roof prior to retraction, it can get pretty hot in the trailer with sun on the slide roofs. I think a black topper would still be way ahead of no topper for keeping the trailer cool.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
    I don't have slide toppers on my fiver. While I've never minded cleaning the slide roof prior to retraction, it can get pretty hot in the trailer with sun on the slide roofs. I think a black topper would still be way ahead of no topper for keeping the trailer cool.
    I feel the same way. We went with the black toppers and just took delivery. I must say they look great.
    Kevin & Ginger
    2015 Reflection 303RLS #1816
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado / 3500HD DRW CC / Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the door slider, there's little room between the slider and the door. You've actually got to order an awning that's one side smaller than would be generally used on such a fifth wheel. The black would look great.

Unfortunately, my dealer wanted $600 per slider--$2400. That's a little rich for my pocketbook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the slide toppers will keep out the water from getting in while you are retracting the sliders.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AL and Holly
    355TH Momentum, #00811, 2014
    GMC Sierra, 3500HD, SRW, Diesel 2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12