User Tag List

Thread: Holding tanks

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holding tanks

We are new full timers and this will be my first winter in Maryland (retire in the spring) How do you operate/protect your fresh, grey and black tanks during cold weather? Now I leave grey open and empty black as needed. I am thinking that during periods of below freezing I'll close all valves, add anti freeze and empty as needed. What's the chance my valves freeze shut? I have water hooked up (heated hose) and have never filled or used our fresh water tank. Will the fresh water tank be ok? Can I winterize just the fresh water tank? Your thoughts and suggestions

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoop, It would help if you let us know which model you have. My Momentum has tank heaters (basically just a heating pad) that will keep the tanks from freezing. Also, if you are living full time, it would be assumed that you'll be running the furnace. Most units have a duct into the basement to keep that area warm enough not to freeze. If the fresh water tank has never had water in it it will be okay IMHO as there is nothing in there to freeze. As far as adding antifreeze to the tanks goes, remember, the more the antifreeze is diluted the less effective it will be. On a side note, I'm in the camp that one leaves the grey water valves closed all the time. Reason being, when I dump the black tanks I then dump the grey tanks which rinses out the stinky slinky. This also prevents the possibility that food scraps or anything else that makes its way into the grey tanks clog up the works. Large volumes of water is your best friend when dumping! Stay safe...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You for your reply. We have a 2019 reflection 337 rls no tank heaters. I always close off the grey for a day or two prior to black pump out. GO Air Force!!!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopinator73 View Post
    Thank You for your reply. We have a 2019 reflection 337 rls no tank heaters. I always close off the grey for a day or two prior to black pump out. GO Air Force!!!
    We have a 2016 337 and spend a lot of time at Aberdeen Proving Ground - including during an "Arctic Invasion" a couple of winters ago. Running the main furnace, we never had problems with the tanks (and the 337 doesn't have tank heaters). It takes significant time below freezing to pull a mass of water down below 32 degrees. If it gets above freezing during the day and you're running the furnace, don't worry. Just make sure that you're not running the fireplace and/or another electric heater enough that the main furnace doesn't cycle. What I WOULD NOT do is leave the gray tanks open all the time. There are several reasons for this: 1) it allows sediment to collect on the bottom of the tanks, and 2) during freezing temps, the water draining out will freeze in your sewer hose and cause cracking or premature failure. Let all tanks fill up - regardless of temperature - and then dump.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015