User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water Heater bypass

So I winterized my 21BHE this past weekend. The manual called for me to bypass the water heater during this process but I couldn’t find the valves to do this. After reading some other posts it appears it may be behind the side wall of the outdoor kitchen. I’ll have to double check this, but I went ahead and ran antifreeze through the lines anyway. I was able to get the antifreeze to come out of all faucets, both hot and cold lines. I used more than probably needed - 4 gallons - which I assume means that much of it is caught up in the heater itself. Seems like as long as I got the antifreeze all the way through the lines it shouldn’t be a problem that there is some inside the water heater? May just take a little longer to clear out the lines in the spring? Thanks.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarkson View Post
    So I winterized my 21BHE this past weekend. The manual called for me to bypass the water heater during this process but I couldn’t find the valves to do this. After reading some other posts it appears it may be behind the side wall of the outdoor kitchen. I’ll have to double check this, but I went ahead and ran antifreeze through the lines anyway. I was able to get the antifreeze to come out of all faucets, both hot and cold lines. I used more than probably needed - 4 gallons - which I assume means that much of it is caught up in the heater itself. Seems like as long as I got the antifreeze all the way through the lines it shouldn’t be a problem that there is some inside the water heater? May just take a little longer to clear out the lines in the spring? Thanks.
    I don't know your trailer model, but if you have a Nautilus P1 panel in it the water heater bypass is the control with the red handle.

I don't know what water heater you have, but doesn't it have a capacity of six gallons? Unlikely that you've filled it with antifreeze. Maybe you've bypassed it without realizing you did that.

Our 35' fifth wheel takes about four gallons to winterize.

Hope something there is useful.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I don't know your trailer model, but if you have a Nautilus P1 panel in it the water heater bypass is the control with the red handle.

I don't know what water heater you have, but doesn't it have a capacity of six gallons? Unlikely that you've filled it with antifreeze. Maybe you've bypassed it without realizing you did that.

Our 35' fifth wheel takes about four gallons to winterize.

Hope something there is useful.
    So I don't think I have the Nautilus P1 panel. I'm not sure what it is called but my panel looks like the one at the link below. Yes, the heater is 6 gallons but it doesn't have to be full to supply the hot water lines does it? I'm guessing there's enough in there to supply the lines when I have the water pump on.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CB8VM1fYJaiJX4PN7

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarkson View Post
    So I don't think I have the Nautilus P1 panel. I'm not sure what it is called but my panel looks like the one at the link below. Yes, the heater is 6 gallons but it doesn't have to be full to supply the hot water lines does it? I'm guessing there's enough in there to supply the lines when I have the water pump on.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CB8VM1fYJaiJX4PN7
    cbarkson,

If you suspect the water heater is stowed behind the outdoor kitchen, and the vent is on the back, curbside of your trailer, I would search for the water heater inside, under the lower bunk. We have the same water control panel on ours, and it will not eliminate (bypass) the water heater. We also have the 6 gallon model and the bypass valves are on the opposite side of the tank from the outside vent for it. I’ve circled the valves in red in the picture below. You probably have access, but just haven’t found it yet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3EC44F3B-3E76-4C7A-88F1-A6A8F6F4A75C.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	742.3 KB 
ID:	23333

As for antifreeze in the tank, I accidentally put some in ours one spring because I turned back the bypass BEFORE I flushed the lines. It takes a long time to flush it all out-you’ll have cloudy, foamy water until it’s all cleaned out. I would probably open the low point drains, remove the water heater drain plug and flush until clear in the spring.
    N
    PS-The RV antifreeze is non-toxic. I’d have no problem bathing or washing dishes with the water, but I wouldn’t drink it or cook with it until it’s flushed and you’ve sanitized the system.
    Last edited by Houndbb; 10-30-2019 at 02:51 AM.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second what @Houdbb posted above - you'll want to run a LOT of fresh water through your hot water tank next spring before drinking the water or using it for cooking. It won't hurt you - unless you stub your toe running to the door to spit out the winterized water...

Below is a How-To video on winterizing a 2400BH - not the same model as yours but very close. The water heater in your trailer is in the same location and the access panel to get to your water heater is in the same place in the outdoor kitchen. The bypass system will also be the same as yours. The guy in the video doesn't mention the water heater bypass until 2:45 into the video - he should have mentioned that he bypassed the water heater before he got started with winterizing - so jump to 2:45, watch that segment, then go back to the beginning.

I suggest you drain your water heater of antifreeze now by removing the drain plug after you've turned the valves to the bypass position. If it doesn't seem to be draining well there is a vacuum - open the emergency blow-off valve at the top of the heater to allow air in the heater. Be sure to close it when all the antifreeze has drained out. Doing this now will ensure the antifreeze isn't sitting in the heater all winter.

Here's the video: Winterizing Grand Design 2400BH plumbing and Water Heater Bypass

Bob
    Last edited by Rovers; 10-30-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What they said. We had an Imagine 2950RL before getting the Solitude and our 2950RL had the same hook up panel as your picture. On ours I made a door out of the hookup side panel, made it much easier to get inside to get the weatherization hose out. Our H2O heater was in the bathroom under the sink cabinet, they like to hid them on different models. You had to remove 2 screws and a panel to get at it. Just flush the H2O heater really good like they said, it will take a lot of flushing to get all the antifreeze out.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ck out my problem and repair on 2600RB

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As noted, no harm, no foul. I suspect bypassing the heater is just to avoid using lots of antifreeze and having to use lots of water to flush it out in the spring. The main ingredients are food additives - check almost any commercial baked good. As noted, when you first want to flush the system, pull the nylon plug on the heater, and open the low points. While this won't get all of it out, it will get all but a few cups. Run water so it runs out of both for a while. Then close 'em up, and continue on with more normal flushing.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just winterized my 2020 21bhe for the first time. The bypass valves are behind the panel on the left side as you face the outdoor kitchen. Mine had two wood screws that I had to remove to get access. It was a bit fiddly to remove once the screws were removed as there is nothing to grab onto to pull it out.

Since the water heater is 6 gallon I'd be a bit concerned that the hot water lines might not be protected enough as you will have diluted the antifreeze with 5+ gallons of water. You'll probably be ok if you used -100 degree but probably marginal if you used -50 degree antifreeze.

If you used -50 af I'd drain the water heater just in case its not protected well enough.