User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amount of anti-freeze used

I've read the various posts about winterizing the trailers and had to got out today and do mine even though we plan on leaving for Tucson mid December before the really cold weather hits the Olympic Peninsula here in Washington because of an early freeze. I know the words really cold and PNW are a joke to most and I would agree having lived almost 30 years in Colorado. However, freezing temps are freezing temps. Anyway back to my question ...

We just purchased a Reflection 337RLS and I was surprised in only took about a gallon and a half of anti-freeze. I opened the hot and cold in the kitchen, bathroom, shower, opened the toilet, washer lines, and the outdoor faucet. I used more on a 19' TT that I had previously, but I suspect that was caused by the water pump being at the front of the trailer whereas we had a rear bathroom which meant close to 19' of hose between the two points. Add to that the kitchen which was in the middle of the trailer had the water lines routed to the back of the trailer which is where the hot water heater was located.

So, anyone with a 337 care to offer up how much anti-freeze you use? I just want to make sure I haven't somehow missed something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used 3 gallons in my 315RLTS. The last 2/3 of a gallon was used in the drains.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did mine with 2 gallons last year. Used about 3 1/2 this year but I did an extra thorough job as it will be at the dealer which is colder than where I live.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to one of the best videos of how to winterize a Grand Design..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT3y...FQ2EB6MWpz6inY
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did our Solitude and used 4 gallons. But I do a modified process because we don't live in a very cold winter state. I don't blow out the lines with air first, I just use extra AF and let the faucets run extra longer. Gets more AF in the lines to flush out the water and gets AF down in the traps and into the holding tanks. I also set the nautilus valves to pump a very little AF into the fresh holding tank and lines just so it comes out the fresh water tank dump valve. Did all the outside faucets, kitchen, bathroom, toilet and clothes washer lines. I did use air to blow out black tank rinse connection on nautilus panel.

Had no problem with pump priming and sucking in the AF. I wouldn't do it this way if we lived in a very cold winter state because with water in the lines and such the AF would be diluted mixing with the water. Here its not that big of a problem. Oh, and yes flush out the clothes washer water lines often through out the year if you don't use them, ours smelled pretty stinky when the AF came out. Water will set in these lines and become stagnate over time.

When we use the RV again I'll flush the system really well with fresh water and sanitize thoroughly. Oh, one thing I would add to the video I wipe out the sinks and shower after pumping the AF, it can stain the stainless steel.

One more OBTW, its not related to antifreeze but I remove the TST tire pressure sensors, saves the batteries in the sensors.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 11-03-2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: additional content
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 337 sucked up 3 gallons, but I had to go buy a fourth gallon to use in my drain traps.
    Hobo Bill
    From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Traveling Full Time Across the US
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Goodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain Tires
    Reese RP30081 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the O.P. was specifically asking about a 337RLS, but I just wanted to offer up my thoughts on this. I honestly (most likely) use more than I really need to, but I want it to run the exact same color of pink as it is in the jug.....not watered down, AND...as inexpensive as the A.F. is compared to repairs for frozen lines....I wouldn't care if I used 10 gallons of the stuff. I actually only used about 4 1/2 total in the Momentum 394
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Bill View Post
    My 337 sucked up 3 gallons, but I had to go buy a fourth gallon to use in my drain traps.
    Thanks. I only used 1.5 gallons and I'm wondering if I missed something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I know the O.P. was specifically asking about a 337RLS, but I just wanted to offer up my thoughts on this. I honestly (most likely) use more than I really need to, but I want it to run the exact same color of pink as it is in the jug.....not watered down, AND...as inexpensive as the A.F. is compared to repairs for frozen lines....I wouldn't care if I used 10 gallons of the stuff. I actually only used about 4 1/2 total in the Momentum 394
    I too wouldn't care if I used 10 gallons. I've had broken pipes because I've forgotten to winterize (don't ask. :-) ) and getting in a repairing the pipes on a trailer is a pain. As I said it seemed that I used less anti-freeze on my 337RLS than I did on a smaller trailer and just wanted to get an idea the amount folks have used. As I also said my previous trailer probably had longer runs because of where the pump, rear bathroom, and kitchen were located. The 337 seems to be more centrally located for the plumbing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramcneal View Post
    I too wouldn't care if I used 10 gallons. I've had broken pipes because I've forgotten to winterize (don't ask. :-) ) and getting in a repairing the pipes on a trailer is a pain. As I said it seemed that I used less anti-freeze on my 337RLS than I did on a smaller trailer and just wanted to get an idea the amount folks have used. As I also said my previous trailer probably had longer runs because of where the pump, rear bathroom, and kitchen were located. The 337 seems to be more centrally located for the plumbing.
    Yea, I didn't mean to make it sound like you were trying to cut corners, and after reading my reply.....I almost made it sound that way.....sorry, not what I meant. I know you have a genuine concern on the low amount that you used; that maybe you missed something. As far as I know and/or have experience in my short time owning RVs, if you use the onboard pump to circulate the A.F. and open every single source of water for the water system to flow the A.F., I simply don't know how you could have missed something.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast