User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    "Stitch" it with holes and zip ties. Use foam in the holes when done.
    Very cleaver!

Thank you all for the suggestions and discussion.

I ended up taking off the old tape - which was actually only attached to the bottom by ~1/4". Not nearly enough for the weight of the material. Grand Design sent me 4" tape. With it, I cleaned the patches, around the patches, used alcohol to clean again, and retaped. This time with a 2" attachment on both the patch and the underbelly. It looks good, but I'm going to keep an eye on it. If I see any signs of it loosening, I'll try this.

Again, thanks all!

Anne (handy"man" in training)
    Anne

2020 Reflection 295RL
    2019 Ford F250 Powerstroke 6.7L

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    "Stitch" it with holes and zip ties. Use foam in the holes when done.
    So are those 'patches ' access covers to under the rig. Surely there is a better way to cover that? I would think a hatch type cover with seals? Are RV really made like shade tree builds?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity and for my future reference, is there a reason this wasn't covered under warranty and the dealer didn't take care of it?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased a 295RL in October and noticed a similar patch (and it was coming untaped) while still at the dealer - before we signed the final papers. I required them to place a full sheet of the same type of plastic covering the entire patch and extending all the way to each side of the trailer. This left the original patch and underbelly in place but added a second strip of the plastic material that was screwed in on both sides of the trailer and then they taped that second cover to the original underbelly. The idea is that the second strip of plastic is screwed in on each side of the trailer so the tape is to hold them together. So far that has worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAnne View Post
    My husband and I got our new 2020 295RL this past May. A couple weeks ago, I was looking under the RV and noticed that there are two patches with U-shaped zippers on the underbelly. The patches are about 18" x 24". I was unhappy to see patches, and very unhappy that they are coming off. One is completely open on one side. At this point, a squirrel or raccoon could easily get in.

The patches had already been taped once. I called GD Service and the dealer to find out what they knew. The dealer has a note in their system saying they taped the patches because they were falling off. I have no explanation as to why the patches are there in the first place.

More info - the underbelly material inside the "U" is still there. The top of the "U" is attached.

So...

Anyone have experience with these patches? Do they ordinarily hold?

What do I do now? GD Service sent a bunch of 4" Darko underbelly seal tape. I have not been able to talk with anyone about how to prep the underbelly and use the tape. (Believe me, I tried...) I'm not convinced that it will work since the original patch came off and this exact kind of tape also is coming off.

It seems my options are 1) take off the tape, clean, and re-tape. 2) take off both the tape and the patch, then tape the "U" shut.

In one month we will be leaving for a 4 month trip. I'm hoping not to be constantly checking and taping the underbelly.

Attachment 23336Attachment 23337

I appreciate any insights you may have.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bc315rlts View Post
    black gorilla tape works wonders!
    yes it does!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAnne View Post
    My husband and I got our new 2020 295RL this past May. A couple weeks ago, I was looking under the RV and noticed that there are two patches with U-shaped zippers on the underbelly. The patches are about 18" x 24". I was unhappy to see patches, and very unhappy that they are coming off. One is completely open on one side. At this point, a squirrel or raccoon could easily get in.

The patches had already been taped once. I called GD Service and the dealer to find out what they knew. The dealer has a note in their system saying they taped the patches because they were falling off. I have no explanation as to why the patches are there in the first place.

More info - the underbelly material inside the "U" is still there. The top of the "U" is attached.

So...

Anyone have experience with these patches? Do they ordinarily hold?

What do I do now? GD Service sent a bunch of 4" Darko underbelly seal tape. I have not been able to talk with anyone about how to prep the underbelly and use the tape. (Believe me, I tried...) I'm not convinced that it will work since the original patch came off and this exact kind of tape also is coming off.

It seems my options are 1) take off the tape, clean, and re-tape. 2) take off both the tape and the patch, then tape the "U" shut.

In one month we will be leaving for a 4 month trip. I'm hoping not to be constantly checking and taping the underbelly.

Attachment 23336Attachment 23337

I appreciate any insights you may have.
    I must be missing something here. You have a new 2020 unit that has patches coming apart and you want to know how to repair it? Why would YOU be repairing it?
    Retired SF Sergeant Major
    Retired Sheriff's detective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I just purchased a used GD 2018 Reflection 29RS back in September 9/20 & after spending 10 nights in unit & found similar patches in my unit. Upon opening & inspecting found they are access panels to black & gray tank cable operated valves. Contacted GD customer service & was told there is no way these zippered panels would have been installed during unit build. Interesting, wonder how they got there!!!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pumperpete View Post
    Hello, I just purchased a used GD 2018 Reflection 29RS back in September 9/20 & after spending 10 nights in unit & found similar patches in my unit. Upon opening & inspecting found they are access panels to black & gray tank cable operated valves. Contacted GD customer service & was told there is no way these zippered panels would have been installed during unit build. Interesting, wonder how they got there!!!
    Those valves are notorious for issues so no doubt prior owner had repairs made along the way. Most "pros" slice their way in because time is money and they don't see it from their house, while we owners take the time and drop the full belly to make repairs.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pumperpete View Post
    Well, maybe that's true. We bought our rig at an RV show, it had come direct from factory to RV show. There was a zipper in the coroplast when we bought it. Now the dealer may have done it once they had it in their hands, but it was there on a new rig.

Ours covers the motor gear box for the large slide. Ours started to come loose, and my husband cleaned all around it and secured it better with Gorilla Tape. So far, so good (4 years later)
    Last edited by livinthelife; 10-21-2020 at 08:33 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great information from all, thankyou.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12