User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Help! New 295RL has underbelly patch - and it's falling off

My husband and I got our new 2020 295RL this past May. A couple weeks ago, I was looking under the RV and noticed that there are two patches with U-shaped zippers on the underbelly. The patches are about 18" x 24". I was unhappy to see patches, and very unhappy that they are coming off. One is completely open on one side. At this point, a squirrel or raccoon could easily get in.

The patches had already been taped once. I called GD Service and the dealer to find out what they knew. The dealer has a note in their system saying they taped the patches because they were falling off. I have no explanation as to why the patches are there in the first place.

More info - the underbelly material inside the "U" is still there. The top of the "U" is attached.

So...

Anyone have experience with these patches? Do they ordinarily hold?

What do I do now? GD Service sent a bunch of 4" Darko underbelly seal tape. I have not been able to talk with anyone about how to prep the underbelly and use the tape. (Believe me, I tried...) I'm not convinced that it will work since the original patch came off and this exact kind of tape also is coming off.

It seems my options are 1) take off the tape, clean, and re-tape. 2) take off both the tape and the patch, then tape the "U" shut.

In one month we will be leaving for a 4 month trip. I'm hoping not to be constantly checking and taping the underbelly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191021_102259.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	23336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191021_094851.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	23337

I appreciate any insights you may have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Gorilla tape works wonders!
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There must be something under there that may require opening the zippered patches to get to for possible maintenance. If that's the case I would try to sandwich the coroplast and patch edges between two small strips of aluminum and rivet them in place on each side. That way the zippers would still work as intended and the patches would stay shut on all sides. That would require a reasonable amount of effort, but that should solve any further problems with the loose patches...
    Larry and Vicki
    2016 Solitude 305RE - Sailun S637 ST
    2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ
    TranferFlow 50 Gal Aux Tank
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAnne View Post
    My husband and I got our new 2020 295RL this past May. A couple weeks ago, I was looking under the RV and noticed that there are two patches with U-shaped zippers on the underbelly. The patches are about 18" x 24". I was unhappy to see patches, and very unhappy that they are coming off. One is completely open on one side. At this point, a squirrel or raccoon could easily get in.

The patches had already been taped once. I called GD Service and the dealer to find out what they knew. The dealer has a note in their system saying they taped the patches because they were falling off. I have no explanation as to why the patches are there in the first place.

More info - the underbelly material inside the "U" is still there. The top of the "U" is attached.

So...

Anyone have experience with these patches? Do they ordinarily hold?

What do I do now? GD Service sent a bunch of 4" Darko underbelly seal tape. I have not been able to talk with anyone about how to prep the underbelly and use the tape. (Believe me, I tried...) I'm not convinced that it will work since the original patch came off and this exact kind of tape also is coming off.

It seems my options are 1) take off the tape, clean, and re-tape. 2) take off both the tape and the patch, then tape the "U" shut.

In one month we will be leaving for a 4 month trip. I'm hoping not to be constantly checking and taping the underbelly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191021_102259.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	23336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191021_094851.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	23337

I appreciate any insights you may have.
    I would remove the old tape and replace it. Probably the best thing to do is to prep it with alcohol. One other thing that may help is some wood screws at strategic intervals. The corners and in the middle of each side would be enough, then tape over top to hold everything. Just don't over tighten the screws. They don't need to be tight, just hold. One other thing to try is get some black spray foam https://www.amazon.com/Great-Stuff-9...NsaWNrPXRydWU= . Spray it on one surface, all the way around, put the other piece in place and tape it over - just to try to contain the expansion of the foam a little. Once it's dry you can trim it up. I have used spray foam for may things, not just to fill gaps for insulation purposes. It works just like a very hard to remove glue. The spray foam might be the best choice actually. I would, again, clean all surfaces with alcohol first. Good luck!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Migizi View Post
    There must be something under there that may require opening the zippered patches to get to for possible maintenance. If that's the case I would try to sandwich the coroplast and patch edges between two small strips of aluminum and rivet them in place on each side. That way the zippers would still work as intended and the patches would stay shut on all sides. That would require a reasonable amount of effort, but that should solve any further problems with the loose patches...
    There are other posts in the forum where these "patches" are used. They are put in because someone had to fix something that was wrong - either at the factory or the dealership, probably a leak or wire issue. They are not normal to my knowledge, and should not require getting back into. On the side of caution, see what is behind the patches first. In any case the aluminum strips would work, but may be a little difficult to do.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with black Gorilla tape on coroplast was not good. Initially, it will adhere but within a couple weeks, will fall off. I bought some actual coroplast repair tape on Amazon and thats held for 3 years.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    My experience with black Gorilla tape on coroplast was not good. Initially, it will adhere but within a couple weeks, will fall off. I bought some actual coroplast repair tape on Amazon and thats held for 3 years.
    IMO tape of any kind by itself, in these conditions, will not hold. I had to repair the black tank outlet on my old TT (never mind why, but was something I caused). To do this I had to cut the coroplast to get to it. To finish the job, I used tape AND black spray foam. We used the unit for two more seasons before we traded it - it held with no signs of coming apart.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a leaky slide cylinder, dealer replaced the wrong one, then taped the coroplast up. Gee, it still leaked. The tape didn't hold up to the hydraulic fluid & failed. I took the trailer to my local RV repair & had it fixed. I requested NEW coroplast & GD balked but finally agreed.
    I would fix it with one of the methods mentioned above since you are leaving on a trip shortly. BUT you are still under warranty & it should be replaced not repaired by your dealer with GD picking up the tab.
    Someone must know what repair was done to drop the coroplast.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Stitch" it with holes and zip ties. Use foam in the holes when done.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    "Stitch" it with holes and zip ties. Use foam in the holes when done.
    Now that seems like the best I have heard yet. Easy to do and utilizes mechanical and "glue" fasteners !!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast