Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water Hose heat cables

I have a short section of water hose and dual filter unit to prevent from freezing. What brand of heat cable are you using on your water hose? Is there a temperature difference in types/brands and is there a danger of over heating or melting. As to my dual filter system. your thoughts on heat cable wrapping that safely?

I have a camco heated hose form the outside water source to my water filter system.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopinator73 View Post
    . your thoughts on heat cable wrapping that safely?
    Well I have to admit in the 5 years I have spent at ski resort RV parks in the winter I have yet to see an outside water filter or water softener system. I am thinking there may be a reason why, but since I don't use them I'm not much help. Maybe they freeze up easily, I don't know.

Heat tape. I have looked at a couple different brands. They are not supposed to get very hot, around 40f. You will see all kinds of dire warnings on the label. And in truth, there have been incidents of stuff burning up when the instructions are not followed to the letter. But a couple of my heat tape wrap jobs were not compliant, nothing burned. You will just have to make your own decisions on the subject.

If I had an outside water filter/softener, I would build a box to place it in. Then I would use a minor heat source. 100 watt light bulb (non-led) would do. Heat tape, I would probably use that. 200w personal heater, probably be ok. It doesn't take a ton of heat to keep water from freezing provided there is adequate insulation between the cold producing wind and the water.

If you come up with a specific idea please post it. There are some engineers on this forum that may give you the science behind it.

But for me:
    I know what I know
    from standing in the snow
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought - but haven't used yet - 30 feet of Frost King heat tape and 30 feet of 3/4" foam pipe insulation and plan to enclose the hose in them and plug the heat tape into the pedestal. Ask me in a month how it worked. Phil

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always left a small bit of water dripping during the night when it might freeze. Seems to work if it will not be to cold.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally in the very cold weather I just fill the water tank and use it. We can go four days on a full tank of water. Then just dump the tanks, and re fill the fresh water. Don't mess with heated hose, etc. Ed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eleosky View Post
    Normally in the very cold weather I just fill the water tank and use it. We can go four days on a full tank of water. Then just dump the tanks, and re fill the fresh water. Don't mess with heated hose, etc. Ed
    That's not a bad idea. It does take longer for a full tank of water to ice up. When I boondocked in Alaska I never had an issue with my fresh water tank freezing up running my heater.
    2018 Ram CC,LB DRW Longhorn 6.7, AISIN, 4.10s

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for the detailed description. It helped me a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are waiting on our skirt to arrive. In the meantime, nightime temp was 17. We have no kitchen hot water. The cold works fine. Will it do damage when it thaws? Do I need to wrap the low point drains outside the rig? Does that correspond with the inside? 1st time in winter. We have a heated water hose, outside heated water line. We will be temporarily doing foam around the rig today. Any ideas how to thaw the kitchen area?

2019 Reflection 337RLS F-250 gas 4.3L

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnFyre View Post
    Any ideas how to thaw the kitchen area?
    2019 Reflection 337RLS F-250 gas 4.3L
    The new plastic lines will take a bit of a freeze and be ok. Doesn't mean they can't freeze and burst, just it's not as big an issue as it used to be. Open all the cabinet doors. Your lines should unfreeze by noon provided daytime temp's come up above freezing.

I recall an issue with the water lines being run outside of the insulation. Been a couple of years since I have seen that complaint. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to drop the coraplast cover under your trailer and have a look. Hopefully the reflection folks will have better info.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I am going to try the heat and fresh water tank. My family suppose to visit a couple days after christmas . this time will be a great test run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast