Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WDH for Imagine XLS 23BHE

I'm going to go look at the 23BHE tomorrow. I've eyed the 2400BH for a while and now this one has caught my eye. (feel free to give opinions on these two models as well) My question is a good WDH setup for this "mid-size" camper. With a GVWR of 6995 that would put the hitch weight somewhere between 700-1043lbs fully loaded. I like the looks of the equalizer (using a husky round bar + sway bar now for a Jayco). If I go with the equalizer its looks like its right in line with the 1000/10,000 version. I would have to be really close to overloading the trailer to the 1,000lb tongue rating. If I were to run on the lower end of that around 750-800lbs would the 1,200/12,000 still be acceptable. It's difficult to pick the right setup even though you need it to get the thing home.

Garrett

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We recommend the BLUE OX SWAY PRO hitch. It has a Lifetime warranty, not 10 yr like others. There are only 4 bolts used for assembly, not 9+ bolts/spacers. Other WDH are made of cold-rolled steel...not forgiving. Blue Ox is made of Chrome Molly which provides a small degree of shock absorption. You will probably want to consider the Blue Ox 1000. Enjoy the GD,,,THEY'RE AWESOME!!!
    Scott M. Barlag
    Burns Harbor, IN

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Scott! The Blue OX seems to be a favorite on this forum. The BLUE OX seems to control sway where the spring bars attach to the head. With the Equalizer the trunion bars also create friction at the connection between the bars and the l-brackets that support the bars. They claim this creates 2 extra points to control sway. In your mind what makes the BLUE OX superior other than build material? I haven't ruled out BLUE OX, but the trunion bars sound pretty solid...

Garrett

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by packerprogrammer View Post
    Thanks Scott! The Blue OX seems to be a favorite on this forum. The BLUE OX seems to control sway where the spring bars attach to the head. With the Equalizer the trunion bars also create friction at the connection between the bars and the l-brackets that support the bars. They claim this creates 2 extra points to control sway. In your mind what makes the BLUE OX superior other than build material? I haven't ruled out BLUE OX, but the trunion bars sound pretty solid...

Garrett
    I've had the Equalizer and currently run the Blue Ox. The Equalizer was a 10k unit I used with a 29' trailer. It performed very well, never a problem with sway. Took a bit to set it up. I didn't like disassembling and greasing the hitch head periodically. It's a very good hitch.

I use the Blue Ox on my 38' 315RLTS. I like it better than the Equalizer because: It's easier to set up and install, less grease to deal with (only 2 zerks), no bolts to check for torque on the hitch head, no clips or pins to keep track of. And it works. The 315 sits much higher, is much longer and presents a larger sail than my old Jayfeather. 20 mph crosswinds don't phase the Blue Ox. I've had this rig in 45+ mph crosswinds on a high bridge and it performed well. Yes, I had to put my coffee down but nothing dramatic.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    I've had the Equalizer and currently run the Blue Ox. The Equalizer was a 10k unit I used with a 29' trailer. It performed very well, never a problem with sway. Took a bit to set it up. I didn't like disassembling and greasing the hitch head periodically. It's a very good hitch.

I use the Blue Ox on my 38' 315RLTS. I like it better than the Equalizer because: It's easier to set up and install, less grease to deal with (only 2 zerks), no bolts to check for torque on the hitch head, no clips or pins to keep track of. And it works. The 315 sits much higher, is much longer and presents a larger sail than my old Jayfeather. 20 mph crosswinds don't phase the Blue Ox. I've had this rig in 45+ mph crosswinds on a high bridge and it performed well. Yes, I had to put my coffee down but nothing dramatic.
    Well, I have to say that's a very strong argument for the Blue Ox. Glad to hear opinions from someone who has used both. I feel like I'll be happy either way I go. Nice to know the convenience doesn't mean sacrificing performance!

Thanks again,
    Garrett