User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Tonneau Cover on 2019 chevy Duramax 4W/D 8 ft Bed

Have seen discussions about towing with Tonneau Cover and did a bunch of research about the Backflip MX4 and really liked it. Today I went ahead and installed it and it looks great. My only fear is that I may not have clearance if backing the 310GK at the 45 degree angle. I normally have just a bit more than 6 inches to the bed rails. If I flip up the panels and leave the last one down and connect the strap will there still be enough clearance? My hitch is a BW 18000 lb. It is installed in the chevy puck system. My concern was it is rather easy to remove the hitch and I was concerned for its security when not Hitched. I remember posts saying it works great, but it just seems those panels do come up tp about 3 to 4 inches. I guess I can flip it all the way to the back of the window and put on attach the metal bracket, I just wonder if they are stout enough for 60 to 65 MPH on windy days. Maybe I need to wait until my arrival at our destination to raise the panels to the window if backing is necessary. Any advice from others in the know is appreciated. Haven't hooked up the RV yet to check the clearance. Will be doing that this weekend. Already posted but computer lost itself then came back and reposted. DANGIT! Probably OPERATOR ERROR
    Last edited by 1st Cav Duke; 11-01-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: computer got lost and then came back on

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the MX4 on our Sierra 3500 Short bed and have never came close to touch the cover and we only have been in very tight spots.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t speak to the Backflip MX4 as I have a soft roll up tonneau cover. I also have a B&W hitch for the chevy puck system and put a pad lock though one of the handles. It might not slow a thief down but it makes me feel better.

Nice truck trailer combo!

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark,

I was thinking about that also, as I have a friend that put locks on all four of his mount handles and on the capture plate pins. I already put a lock on my release handle after reading about people pulling those at rest stops. I just didn't want all those locks and having to keep track of keys. Tomorrow I plan to hook up and see how close it comes with three panels stacked up and strapped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pawsitivedivetraining View Post
    We have the MX4 on our Sierra 3500 Short bed and have never came close to touch the cover and we only have been in very tight spots.
    That is Good News. Question: Do you just fold your panels past the hitch, or do you fold them all the way up and against the rear window? I have 4 panels total for my Long Bed, and 3 panels folded up really comes up 3inches above the Bed rails. We don't Boondock, so we should normally be on level or near level surfaces when backing.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just fold up the three panels and clip the straps in the front, that way it is still locked to the bed rail track and doesn't flip back when driving down the road. We have over 20,000 miles towing this way in the last year and a half. Ours has 4 panels as well.
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pawsitivedivetraining View Post
    I just fold up the three panels and clip the straps in the front, that way it is still locked to the bed rail track and doesn't flip back when driving down the road. We have over 20,000 miles towing this way in the last year and a half. Ours has 4 panels as well.
    I have a Ford F350 long bed with the MX4 tonneau and 310 GK. See signature. I tow the same way, three panels folded over the front one and secured with the factory straps. I have a little over 11,000 miles towing without any problems.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    I have a Ford F350 long bed with the MX4 tonneau and 310 GK. See signature. I tow the same way, three panels folded over the front one and secured with the factory straps. I have a little over 11,000 miles towing without any problems.

Chris
    Thanks Chris, I am feeling much better after reading yours and Pawsitivedivetraining response. I really like the looks and the added security the Backflip 4 provides. I am planning on hooking up today and see how it looks. As yet I have never backed in any spot more where I have had to have more than 45 degrees angles. Been lucky I guess. I do believe that I have read on this forum, that 6 inches or more is the optimum distance from bottom of front cap to bed rails. i just got concerned when I saw the height of the folded panels. Don't like to add to the already heightened stress levels about everything that needs to be checked. I don't want to become too comfortable and get complacent! LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mike and Jane, Two retired Educators/ One retired Army Aviator
    3 Mini Tri AUSIES
    2018 310 GK 2019 Chevy Duramax 3500 4W/D SRW L/B
    BW 18000 lb Hitch, BACKFLIP TONNAU

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Cav Duke View Post
    I don't want to become too comfortable and get complacent! LOL
    Best thing to do to see your clearance is hook up and go to large parking lot with someone you trust to spot you. Then backup and test all your angles and measurements, and don't forget that those measurements go out the window when you get to a spot that is not level or an unexpected awkward entrance/exit to a service station!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just got concerned when I saw the height of the folded panels.
    My stock Ford F350 is TALL, even with the trailer. I have about 5" clearance above the tailgate, about 6" over the bed rails perpendicular to the king pin. My trailer sits about 1" nose high. All a compromise. I have been in some tight tight (sharp turn) and uneven approach camping spots and had to drop one set of wheels off the pavement to get in. I do not do any boondocking. I have never hit the truck/trailer. Just take it slow and easy. Do not be afraid to pull ahead and take multiple tries at an approach. DO NOT BE IN A RUSH OR LET ANYONE RUSH YOU. Get out and look if you have ANY questions.

Don't like to add to the already heightened stress levels about everything that needs to be checked.
    Remember, this is vacation and FUN. Right?! (I am sure my DW is rolling her eyes and will "remind me" of my own advise ). I can not stress enough to take your time and do not be afraid to pull ahead/reset for multiple tries. I rarely get it even close to correct on my first attempt (but getting a little better with practice).

I don't want to become too comfortable and get complacent! LOL
    For me (two years towing an 5th wheel) that is not a problem! (i.e. I am still way to nervous), but I can see being over confidence/complacent could be a problem. Just be aware, and take your time.

And most of all, enjoy your travels and experiences.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast