User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insulating windows for winter

It's freezing or below now where we live full time in our RV. We are going through 14 pounds of propane a week to keep the RV at 68° F. I researched different ways to insulate windows online. Now wondering how RV full timers recommend insulating their windows.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    14 lbs. or 14 gallons? 14 lbs. is nothing! Give us an idea of what rig you have and what windows are installed (single pane, dual pane?) and we'll be better able to help you. A lot of folks put their rig info in their signature so they don't have to write it out every time.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's freezing or below now where we live full time in our RV. We are going through 14 pounds of propane a week to keep the RV at 68° F. I researched different ways to insulate windows online. Now wondering how RV full timers recommend insulating their windows.

We have single pain windows.
    2019 Solitude ST3740 BH-R

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    14 lbs. is still just 1/2 of a 30 lb. tank... we've gone through 30lbs. in 2-3 days during extremely cold conditions. My best advice on windows is still the Reflectix:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R...5-ft-L/3011906

It comes in various roll widths and lengths - you would need to measure and assess your window area(s).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I just posted this somewhere else, maybe FB, anyway. Yup, when it gets cold you are going to burn a bunch of propane. Just remember, the propane burn is what keeps the underbelly from freezing. ( at least in my Momentum this is true). I have replaced my 30# tanks with 40# tanks, about $100 each. Just adds a little more between fills. When we stay a while and it gets really cold we rent a large 130 gallon + propane tank from the local supplier.

Window insulation. I like the Duck Window Insulation stuff. There are other brands that work as well. They come in different sizes.. The idea being that you create an air gap between the window and the interior of the RV. I have even put it on my dual pane windows when it was getting super cold, sub-zero.

It's a royal PITA to install, but it's clear so you still have windows.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks D2Reid. I was wondering how the clear window insulation worked.

When I spent last winter in Colorado Springs we also used the reflective foil insulation. Also, if you're going to be stationary for a few months, it pays to skirt your RV. I used the EZ Snap system, but others I know just put together a hard sided skirt with materials from Lowes or Home Depot.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg