Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide Topper Leaking to Interior

When closing the slide kitchen/lr slide on my 384 GK-R after a heavy rain, water started pouring in from somewhere behind the fridge. Sounded like a waterfall. I could see no obvious reason, cept for a 1" tear in the seam right next to the body. I just tried to replicate the problem by filling the slide topper with water to the overflowing point and then closing the slide...NO PROBLEM OBSERVED...NOTHING!! Has anyone else had this problem?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabervin View Post
    When closing the slide kitchen/lr slide on my 384 GK-R after a heavy rain, water started pouring in from somewhere behind the fridge. Sounded like a waterfall. I could see no obvious reason, cept for a 1" tear in the seam right next to the body. I just tried to replicate the problem by filling the slide topper with water to the overflowing point and then closing the slide...NO PROBLEM OBSERVED...NOTHING!! Has anyone else had this problem?
    Just guessing here. Was your trailer level both times you brought in the slides? Was there any wind blowing the first time that could have driven rain under the slide topper where it puddled until you closed the slide? Just a couple of thoughts.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. But yes and no.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a similar problem with a 2020 337rls reflection. The slide cover over the dining area was full of water and when the slide was put in the water ran off the end and sounded like a waterfall. It soaked the end of the slide and not knowing better we pulled the slide all the way in and water ran off the end of the slide all over the floor. Now I make sure there is no water on the top of the slides when we put them in. Our old trailer would get water on the topper but it would drain off the middle and run down the windows which was not a problem.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ever determine how the water was entering the trailer?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot offer any specific advice, but comment that your post further reinforces my decision to remove our slide toppers that came with our 310GK-R. I would not have ordered slide toppers, but we purchased our rig off the lot and it was equipped with them.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ever determine how the water was entering the trailer?
    Yes the water was running down the side of the slide and as the slide came in it brought some water with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this issue on 310gk. Slide toppers were installed by dealer, flat, allowing water to collect on the topper. Had them re-install about 3 inches higher at the wall attach. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave & Sharon
    Macomb, MI
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2019 Ford F350 Longbed SRW 6.7 Diesel
    Reese M5 20k Puck mounted

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having owned several RV's over the years, IMO slide toppers are not always great. Our previous RV, a Country Coach motorhome, had toppers that did not have sufficient angle to allow them to drain collected rainwater. Even if you stretch the toppers tight, they eventually stretch and sag enough to collect water. They will dump water inside your rig when you retract the slides. If you retract the slide a bit, stop and let water drain, resume, stop again and let water drain, that usually works.

I have seen some RV's (higher end motorhomes especially) where they install the toppers with enough angle to prevent water from collecting on the topper. Most of the 5th wheels I see with toppers have the topper fabric almost level or with little angle.

We bought our Solitude off the dealer lot and it did not have toppers. At first I was concerned that it had no toppers but after owing the rig for a year now, I don't miss them at all.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    Having owned several RV's over the years, IMO slide toppers are not always great. Our previous RV, a Country Coach motorhome, had toppers that did not have sufficient angle to allow them to drain collected rainwater. Even if you stretch the toppers tight, they eventually stretch and sag enough to collect water. They will dump water inside your rig when you retract the slides. If you retract the slide a bit, stop and let water drain, resume, stop again and let water drain, that usually works.

I have seen some RV's (higher end motorhomes especially) where they install the toppers with enough angle to prevent water from collecting on the topper. Most of the 5th wheels I see with toppers have the topper fabric almost level or with little angle.

We bought our Solitude off the dealer lot and it did not have toppers. At first I was concerned that it had no toppers but after owing the rig for a year now, I don't miss them at all.
    I agree. Ours came with slide toppers and I just removed them mostly because they make too much racket in heavy winds, but also because of what has been mentioned here with regards to water, not to mention what if the water freezes in cold weather. I have not shed a tear since removing them.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast