User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard wire a surge protector in a 375res-r

Hi all, just got our first 5th wheel yesterday. Took the hard wired Surge protector out of our class a mh and want to install it in our new 375res-r. How do I get access to the main wire feed inside the unit. Don’t want to start taking apart a lot of unnecessary stuff on a brand new unit. Thanks

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's usually room behind the main power panel if you unplug the shore power and remove the panel. A few feet of extra cable will give you slack to connect everything.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks second chance, but I need more on my specific model. To many variables on generic answers.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
    Thanks second chance, but I need more on my specific model. To many variables on generic answers.
    Well, I too can give only a "generic" answer since I don't own a 375RES. However it's nearly certain that the basement (front pass-through storage compartment) of your trailer has a rear wall covered with fabric, starting at around the front edge of the Nautilus panel and stretching to the other side of the trailer. That wall may or may not have an angled section to it; if it does then it can be removed by taking out six screws in its edges, if it does not then some non-angled middle section of that wall is easily removed.

Once the wall section is down you'll see the mess of utility equipment, wiring, and plumbing that is the technical heart of your trailer. You'll also see (or almost see, it may be hidden by the water heater) where the main power cable from your outside connector comes into your trailer.

Some people just cut that cable and splice their surge protector between the two cut ends. Others (including me) purchase a few new feet of the heavy cable, remove the cable from the back of the outside connector and install the new cable to it, and then splice the surge protector between the new cable and the old cable. That way, if you remove the surge protector again to move it to another trailer you'll still have the intact original power cable which can be re-attached to the outside connector.

Hope this isn't too generic for you. Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks boyscout. I have the slanted panel behind the water set up. What concerned me was on the outside where the cable plugs in , between the plug and the water panel is the furnace and the hot water heater. So its possible the cable on the inside does not go straight ( meaning direction ) to the power panel and is loose behind that slanted panel. Please accept my apologies I meant no disrespect, just really nervous about taking apart a 4 day old coach. I already have a 2 ft pigtail on my PI surge protector from when I removed it from former mh, I will take that panel as it makes sense stuff should be behind it. Thank you .

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The incoming power wire usually is laying loose on the basement floor with enough slack to install the EMS either by removing it from the CB panel and adding ~3' or 4' of wire or cutting the cable and inserting the EMS.

Most of the cables come in just to one side of the basement wall.
    One looked like it came in behind the pantry and then to the basement.

Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Install in a 2017 Solitude 379FLS
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...olitude-379FLS

Progressive Industries HW50C install - Momentum 349m
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-Momentum-349m

Installed Powered 50a Cord Reel. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-50a-Cord-Reel
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
    Thanks boyscout. I have the slanted panel behind the water set up. What concerned me was on the outside where the cable plugs in , between the plug and the water panel is the furnace and the hot water heater. So its possible the cable on the inside does not go straight ( meaning direction ) to the power panel and is loose behind that slanted panel. Please accept my apologies I meant no disrespect, just really nervous about taking apart a 4 day old coach. I already have a 2 ft pigtail on my PI surge protector from when I removed it from former mh, I will take that panel as it makes sense stuff should be behind it. Thank you .
    You're new here, welcome. It's best when you reply to a post to use the "Reply With Quote" link at the bottom of the post, which not only improves context and readability as a thread grows but also sends an alert to the person you're responding to so they know you have responded.

Does your surge protector have a separate display/monitor to show you what's going on with it? If so, another piece of gratuitous advice is that I planned to install ours inside the trailer in the control cabinet, but found that too difficult and put it in the Nautilus closet instead. I've come to be glad it worked out that way - more important to me to see what happens when I first power up the trailer than to be able to look at it once we're powered up. If I need to check on it I can always go outside to do that; my wife will say I need the exercise.

I hope you find the installation task easy (though your 2-foot pigtail may not be long enough). Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch