User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    @tomilee if you're lucky you've already got the advice you need. Your camera may work when you hook up to tow and turn on your vehicle's lights.

However Grand Design has a very checkered history in how they wire these... it seems that at least some of the installers just grab whatever hot wire they can find. IIRC at least one person here found that he had to turn on the kitchen fan to turn on the camera. Some are wired such that the camera is on all the time. Our first trailer was wired to the marker lights (which turn on when the truck lights are on, best option IMO) but our second trailer wasn't wired to anything - the installer had broken the connection when he/she pushed the wires back into the wall but whatever he/she had wired to wasn't the marker lights so I had to install my own wire down from the lights to the camera.

So, if turning on the truck's lights doesn't do it for you you won't be the first go have to ladder up there and start investigating with a voltage tester.

BTW since you mentioned it there's no easy way to make the camera come on only when you put the truck in reverse, and IMO that's not the most desirable anyway. We often use the camera as a "rear view mirror" while driving... just flick on the lights and the world behind comes into view.

Good luck.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    It is invaluable!

Yes, I agree that the market light or running light would be better for the camera. I also want to use it as a rear view mirror.

Anyway, I am still under warranty so, if it doesn’t work out, I will bring the TT to a dealership. I already have an appointment for a damaged floor caused by the slideout.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Imagine 2600RB is wired to run the camera all the time. On my second trip with the camera, it didn't work going but worked coming home. When getting ready for the next trip I noticed there was no power to the camera. Pulled the camera and checked the connection and found there was only a few strands of the wire in the wire nut. Fixed the wire, put on a new wire nut and everything has been fine since. Kind of sloppy work by the factory. So I would say you need to check the factory connections.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonKirkpatrick View Post
    My Imagine 2600RB is wired to run the camera all the time. On my second trip with the camera, it didn't work going but worked coming home. When getting ready for the next trip I noticed there was no power to the camera. Pulled the camera and checked the connection and found there was only a few strands of the wire in the wire nut. Fixed the wire, put on a new wire nut and everything has been fine since. Kind of sloppy work by the factory. So I would say you need to check the factory connections.
    Thanks! I wanted to check it last weekend, but my TT is parked 30mins away from my home and I didn’t have a time to go there. I will check the wires, too.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    @tomilee if you're lucky you've already got the advice you need. Your camera may work when you hook up to tow and turn on your vehicle's lights.

However Grand Design has a very checkered history in how they wire these... it seems that at least some of the installers just grab whatever hot wire they can find. IIRC at least one person here found that he had to turn on the kitchen fan to turn on the camera. Some are wired such that the camera is on all the time. Our first trailer was wired to the marker lights (which turn on when the truck lights are on, best option IMO) but our second trailer wasn't wired to anything - the installer had broken the connection when he/she pushed the wires back into the wall but whatever he/she had wired to wasn't the marker lights so I had to install my own wire down from the lights to the camera.

So, if turning on the truck's lights doesn't do it for you you won't be the first go have to ladder up there and start investigating with a voltage tester.

BTW since you mentioned it there's no easy way to make the camera come on only when you put the truck in reverse, and IMO that's not the most desirable anyway. We often use the camera as a "rear view mirror" while driving... just flick on the lights and the world behind comes into view.

Good luck.
    We installed an observation camera on two different Rv's. An Imagine and a Reflection had problems with the power on both. So I hardwired the the camera. used the RV battery, 3 amp fuse, toggle switch. Toggle switch is next to the leveling system, so I can turn it on and off when connecting or disconnecting the fifth wheel. Always works perfectly.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We installed an observation camera on two different Rv's. An Imagine and a Reflection had problems with the power on both. So I hardwired the the camera. used the RV battery, 3 amp fuse, toggle switch. Toggle switch is next to the leveling system, so I can turn it on and off when connecting or disconnecting the fifth wheel. Always works perfectly. No more truck or camper problems. believe me it's worth the time and expense for the peace of mind.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a furrion back up camera and the same thing happened to me but.....when I checked the back up camera the plug in at the back of the camera had come loose. You may want to check the connection from the back first.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom&Trish View Post
    We installed an observation camera on two different Rv's. An Imagine and a Reflection had problems with the power on both. So I hardwired the the camera. used the RV battery, 3 amp fuse, toggle switch. Toggle switch is next to the leveling system, so I can turn it on and off when connecting or disconnecting the fifth wheel. Always works perfectly. No more truck or camper problems. believe me it's worth the time and expense for the peace of mind.
    Thanks! I wish I can do the wiring..but I have no idea how to do it. I actually blew up my fuse multiple times while I tried to upgrade the glowing switches to a dimmable one (watched Youtube). I actually gave up at the end.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manrock54 View Post
    I have a furrion back up camera and the same thing happened to me but.....when I checked the back up camera the plug in at the back of the camera had come loose. You may want to check the connection from the back first.
    Thanks!. It looked okay last time when I checked on it. But, I will check the wires again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tomilee

If Houndbb's advice does not work, check for a damaged wire behind the camera.

I had a similar issue with the dealer installed Furion backup camera on my 2019 Reflection. They had pinched a wire when they mounted the camera causing a short. They fixed it by removing the camera, replacing the bad section of wire and reinstalling it.
    Good luck

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktorpy View Post
    @tomilee

If Houndbb's advice does not work, check for a damaged wire behind the camera.

I had a similar issue with the dealer installed Furion backup camera on my 2019 Reflection. They had pinched a wire when they mounted the camera causing a short. They fixed it by removing the camera, replacing the bad section of wire and reinstalling it.
    Good luck
    I have an appointment with a dealer for my damaged floor. If the wire is damaged, I will ask them to fix it as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast