Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chucking

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chucking

We have 35’ solitude. We pull it with a dodge 3500 dully. We have a lot of chucking
    We are looking into replacing pin box to reduce chucking and possibly replacing the hitch
    Would appreciate input to help us resolve problem

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No chucking with our Anderson Ultimate Hitch, one of the advantages of it. Replacing the pin box is not going to do much, if anything for the chucking, perhaps minimize it, Chucking is a result of some play between the king pin and jaws of traditional 5th wheel hitches.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your RAM has the puck system, another option is looking at a Reese Goosebox. Very pleased with this setup on our 3350RL! My old, heavy B&W Companion is shelved in the garage now as all my trailers are now gooseneck!

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pulled over 12,000 miles with an Andersen (and it's "Andersen" with an "e") and now almost 30,000 miles with a PullRite OE 18K conventional hitch and I disagree with Bruce. The sound of chucking is because of play in the hitch. The feel of chucking (call it "bucking" if you like) is due to differences in the velocity between the truck and trailer as the rig moves over uneven road surfaces. We installed a Demco GlideRide pin box to deal with this issue when we used the Andersen hitch (yes - it cured the problem) and continue to use the same pin box with the PullRite hitch. It tows very smoothly and quietly. As far as brands of pin boxes go, I would probably get a MOR/ryde pin box now rather than the Demco, but the Demco has worked very well for us with both hitches.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air hitches work great also and make for a smooth ride.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have play between the pin and the jaws that causes chucking then you're in trouble. Plus the racket that that would make would be annoying.
    I pulled our previous 5er with a B&W Patriot and an Andersen and noticed zero difference in chucking. I also installed a Morryde pin box. That alleviated some of the chucking. Only on the worst roads did the chucking become a little bothersome.
    As Second Chance says it's an inertia thing. The balance between the truck and 5er is not in harmony.
    Those that say they don't have chucking would still not have chucking regardless of what 5th hitch they have.
    The problem with remedies is it seems most are towing different 5th wheels with different trucks.
    As silly as it seems the best remedy is that before buying a 5er and truck is to read the forums and find the guy that has zero chucking using X brand/model truck while towing X brand model 5th wheel.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We pulled over 12,000 miles with an Andersen (and it's "Andersen" with an "e") and now almost 30,000 miles with a PullRite OE 18K conventional hitch and I disagree with Bruce. The sound of chucking is because of play in the hitch. The feel of chucking (call it "bucking" if you like) is due to differences in the velocity between the truck and trailer as the rig moves over uneven road surfaces. We installed a Demco GlideRide pin box to deal with this issue when we used the Andersen hitch (yes - it cured the problem) and continue to use the same pin box with the PullRite hitch. It tows very smoothly and quietly. As far as brands of pin boxes go, I would probably get a MOR/ryde pin box now rather than the Demco, but the Demco has worked very well for us with both hitches.

Rob
    Rob,
    I like that you differentiated between the sound of hitch play and actual chucking . Sooooo many people are so quick to blame chucking on loose jaws in a 5th wheel. And that leads folks astray.

So - for the OP (goducks14) -- I don't think there is any need to change the hitch unless it is confirmed to be bad (loose jaws, loose bed mount, old, weak) whatever. Rob's suggestion of a MorRyde pin box should help. It helped me. I put on air bags too but I don't think they help anything except ride hight. Maybe one of those air bag hitch boxes with a shock would help instead of the MorRyde.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a MR pin box. It removed SOME of the chucking. I called MR and talked to a tech. We discussed my situation and I sent him a couple pics of the dust marks on the plate where the action is. He said I had the correct amount of for/aft travel.
    He also stated that the MR WON'T remove all the chucking.
    If I had had a 5th prep kit in the truck I'd of opted for a Goose box. It's cheaper than a 5th hitch and a cushioned pin box combined.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded from the OEM 1621HD and a Curt A25 (OEM puck setup) to a Reese GooseBox 2nd Gen 20k with Curt GooseBall and it has helped smooth the ride out considerably. There is still some back and forth play from the trailer, but I do not think that can be avoided, 16k pounds will push you around regardless of what you try. I did add rear timbrens recently and it helped smooth the roads out a little more too. The air bag and shocks in the Goose Box are great and I do think there is less play with the ball and socket vs king pin and jaws - for what that is worth. I do have SRE4000s as well which may also contribute to ride quality.

Also, I found it interesting that the 2020 Solitudes have a Morryde pin box and CRE3000 equalizers - at least the 390rk on display at the rally last month did.
    Last edited by cookinwitdiesel; 11-04-2019 at 08:24 PM.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry & Donna 321X View Post
    We have 35’ solitude. We pull it with a dodge 3500 dully. We have a lot of chucking
    We are looking into replacing pin box to reduce chucking and possibly replacing the hitch
    Would appreciate input to help us resolve problem
    We too have some chucking with our 37 foot and Ram 3500 but not all the time, its really pronounced on bad, uneven, mostly secondary, or high traffic roads/highways, hence the result is what Rob was talking about with velocity. On very good roads/highways the rig glides along smooth with no chucking. When we get into chucking on a stretch of road I change my speed to try to help with the problem, or if possible change lanes, sometimes its better.
    I have been looking at the MorRyde RPB72-1621HD-05 to replace the Lippert 1621HD, but I am not ready to plop down the $700 for it yet when it wont eliminate all of the chucking but helps when it does happen. Looked at the Trail Air pin box also. On the other hand I am not ready to dump my Companion hitch and buy something totally new.

I know some people have a hard time with motion sickness or the like so I understand why owners chase a solution to the problem. For now we'll put up with it when it happens.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast