User Tag List

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: TOGO internet

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    When you say wifi calling, do you mean your accessing the campground wifi and making calls that way or is the Togo picking up data better than your cell phone?
    We set the wifi on our cell phones to point to the Togo wifi network, and make and receive our calls through our wifi. We are not doing anything with the Togo 4G LTE signal. We're using that simply as backbone transport.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my Verizon jetpack connected before installing the TOGO. My speed test showed 1.7 Mbps download on the jetpack. After connecting the TOGO and setting up the At&t plan, the speed was 8.4 Mbps (I know it's technically not 8 times faster) with the TOGO setting inside the RV on the counter. Now that it's on the roof, I'm getting 15-19 Mbps download with upload at 8 Mbps. That's with a 36% cell signal.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man thanks for this thread, this is what I’ve been looking for. Been thinking about getting one of these but you know don’t want to just start mounting things all over my rv especially if they don’t serve a decent purpose. Wish someone had a thirty day try out for the unit. Has anyone used one in Smokey national park.
    Pete & Betty
    2012 F250 Super Duty 4x4 6.7 Diesel
    2015 Reflection 29RS
    Palm Harbor, FL

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leons_Bad_Side View Post
    Man thanks for this thread, this is what I’ve been looking for. Been thinking about getting one of these but you know don’t want to just start mounting things all over my rv especially if they don’t serve a decent purpose. Wish someone had a thirty day try out for the unit. Has anyone used one in Smokey national park.
    Close, I was at Rock Creek Falls and Roan Mountain in the Cherokee National Forest this last fall. On Verizon at Rock Creek I could receive and send text but they were delayed and had minimal data but surprisingly I couldn't make or receive phone calls until I went up over into N Carolina or down the mountain closer to Erwin. At Roan Mountain.....FORGEDDABOUTIT nothing. They don't put cell towers and/or boost signal until you are near civilization.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We installed our TOGO about 2 months ago, when it receives a good signal it works great and the kids can stream YouTube and Netflix just fine. However the internal PCB circuit board LTE antennas are not to good. Even through mounted on the roof we find that if our cell phones have no signal neither does the the TOGO for the most part.

Being a bit network/WiFi savvy I decided to see if I could improve the signal. I purchased the Wilson 4G trucker antenna on Amazon as well as U.fl/SMA adapter. I mounted the Wilson antenna on the roof using a marine antenna mount and a few PVC fittings then used the U.fl/SMA adapter to plug it into the TOGO LTE radio main (#1) antenna port and left the second factory PCB LTE antenna connected normally. At our home the TOGO usually had between 1-2 bars showing in the app and an average speed of around 5Mbs. With the new antenna it now always has 4 bars and 13-15Mbps. On our last trip to one of the state parks where in the past our phones and TOGO had no signal the TOGO now had 2-3 bars and 9Mbs which was fine for watching Netflix and Hulu. Our phones still had no service but was able to turn on WiFi calling and use our phones normally while connected to TOGO WiFi.

The downside to adding the Wilson antenna is now I go up on the roof to raise the antenna (it comes with a 4ft mast) for reception and again to lower it before before hooking up and moving. This of course didn't do anything in way off remote locations with no signal to be had at all.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReefBum View Post
    We installed our TOGO about 2 months ago, when it receives a good signal it works great and the kids can stream YouTube and Netflix just fine. However the internal PCB circuit board LTE antennas are not to good. Even through mounted on the roof we find that if our cell phones have no signal neither does the the TOGO for the most part.

Being a bit network/WiFi savvy I decided to see if I could improve the signal. I purchased the Wilson 4G trucker antenna on Amazon as well as U.fl/SMA adapter. I mounted the Wilson antenna on the roof using a marine antenna mount and a few PVC fittings then used the U.fl/SMA adapter to plug it into the TOGO LTE radio main (#1) antenna port and left the second factory PCB LTE antenna connected normally. At our home the TOGO usually had between 1-2 bars showing in the app and an average speed of around 5Mbs. With the new antenna it now always has 4 bars and 13-15Mbps. On our last trip to one of the state parks where in the past our phones and TOGO had no signal the TOGO now had 2-3 bars and 9Mbs which was fine for watching Netflix and Hulu. Our phones still had no service but was able to turn on WiFi calling and use our phones normally while connected to TOGO WiFi.

The downside to adding the Wilson antenna is now I go up on the roof to raise the antenna (it comes with a 4ft mast) for reception and again to lower it before before hooking up and moving. This of course didn't do anything in way off remote locations with no signal to be had at all.
    We have a weboost 4g rv booster. I mounted the outside antenna to a 25 foot telescopic pole which mounts to the ladder. It will boost the signal a few bars more than our phones. However, you have to be within a foot of the inside antenna for it to work. I've been looking at the Togo but I haven't been able to find any information if it is actually better receiving data than a cell phone. Do you recommend the Togo over a cellphone Hotspot?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Wilson truck antenna did you get, the $500 booster or the $69 antenna? A link or item number would be great. And how did you connect it to the Togo? Do you have to take the cover off? Thanks.
    Bill & Lisa
    2013 Ford F350 Platinum diesel
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TOGO is cellular data, the same as a cell phone on ATT cellular network. It is no better or worse at "receiving/transmitting" data than your cell phone. From our experience with the TOGO out of the box its signal strength was no better than our phones.

The difference between a TOGO and cell phone is data usage. Almost all cell phone plans cap the data "speed" when you reach a certain usage amount.

Our T-Mobile plan slows our "phone" data speed down to 128kbs after we use 50gbit for the month.
    If using the phone as hotspot then it slows the speed to 128kbps after using only 20gb for the month.

We can't do anything with 128kbs speed except check email or something. Look at the actual details of your phones wireless plan and you will see what limits are in place for your data usage before your carrier slows down your speed to the point its basically unusable. Be sure to check the usage limits of "hotspot" data if that's what your doing. The TOGO does not limit the speed or usage of the service, meaning the kids can all watch their content on their tablets as much as they want without being slowed down to the point it is unusable.

So the short answer is:
    If your phone hotspot can provide you with all the data you need then the TOGO would not be a good purchase for you, and you are better off with your cell booster. There are other indoor antenna options that can help with the range of your booster albeit not much.
    If you need more data usage than your cell phone plan provides for, then the TOGO is what you need, but understand that you may still need to do some things to increase it signal strength as I did.

We were on the same fence, as we have 3 cell phones and simply thought we would use each of them for hotspot data as needed. However we were also paying $55 month for internet at home (5er sits on pad beside house when home). We decided to go ahead with the TOGO, cancel our home internet and when at home just leave the TOGO powered up and so it now provides us with full time internet at home and on the road. We are a heavy use family (500Gb + per month) and so far it has worked well for the 2 months we've had it.
    Last edited by ReefBum; 12-11-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I had to take cover off, it's only a plastic cover held on by 4 screws.
    I also drilled a small hole on the side of the cover to mount the U.fl adapter.

Antenna
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

U.fl / SMA
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MRYB5BW8&psc=1

Antenna Mount
    Last edited by ReefBum; 12-10-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I had to take cover off, it's only a plastic cover held on by 4 screws.
    I also drilled a small hole on the side of the cover to mount the U.fl adapter.

Antenna

U.fl / SMA
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MRYB5BW8&psc=1

Antenna Mount
    that's awesome, thank you. Too bad you have to take the cover off and not just use the outside plug. Is it obvious where to plug it in once you have the cover off?
    Bill & Lisa
    2013 Ford F350 Platinum diesel
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast