Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: TOGO internet

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Actually, it's being discussed on each major camping forum and started on the Airstream forum where the partnership was first introduced before bein so broadly opened via TOGO. If you go to those pages, folks have posted the new tiered plans and their costs. I've been reviewing those posts to see if anyone has turned up information as to whether or not current subscribers can renew the plan after the first year or will have to go to tiered.
    No grandfather for current subscribers. We receive the year we paid for but after that it will be the tiered plans or nothing as of right now. ATT can change their minds at a later date but I don't think they will.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it's being discussed on each major camping forum and started on the Airstream forum where the partnership was first introduced before bein so broadly opened via TOGO. If you go to those pages, folks have posted the new tiered plans and their costs. I've been reviewing those posts to see if anyone has turned up information as to whether or not current subscribers can renew the plan after the first year or will have to go to tiered.
    I have an email from Togo and when your 12 month plan ends, assuming you bought the yearly contract, you have to sign up for the tiered plan. Here's the main part of the email:

"AT&T’s Unlimited Adventure Plans activated or renewed before January 16, 2020, will be valid until the one-year anniversary of their activation. Once the 12-month term ends, customers will have the opportunity to purchase currently available data plans from AT&T. "

I think the "opportunity" here means you can buy into their new tiered pricing structure or find another solution. There's no staying on the yearly unlimited data plan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @ReefBum and @ramcneal!

TOGO is now definitely off my list. FWIW- this is the exact same thing AT&T did with my wifi in my 2019 RAM. I had a 1 year, unlimited plan that came due in October, and all renewal options were significantly higher priced for less data.

If it seems too good to be true....

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TOGO is now definitely off my list. FWIW- this is the exact same thing AT&T did with my wifi in my 2019 RAM. I had a 1 year, unlimited plan that came due in October, and all renewal options were significantly higher priced for less data.

Yup.

Now the search is on for reasonably priced network connections when on the road. Hopefully Musk's new system will deploy on time. Even if it does the system will probably not work for me as the latency will be too high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except that it's not "too good to be true" in fact, it's the way it "should be". We've grown accustomed to this crazy data pricing, and, yes, there IS a cost to deliver it, but it's NOTHING like the cost we're paying. The $5/gb (or whatever the rates are) might cost the telco .0005c to deliver. No, it's not free, but it's also nothing like the prices we're paying for some of the tiered data plans.

I remember, years ago, arguing with my father about something similar. I was working at a telco at the time, and the writing was on the wall for another "tiered" pricing plan, namely, long distance. I told my father, "in a few years, long distance will be free" and that, to him, was like saying the sky is green. No way he argued. But, much like Internet today, it was clear at the time, there was/is DRAMATICALLY more capacity than required, and it was only a matter of time until someone introduced it for free. Today, the entire concept of "pay long distance" is gone from our minds. And, I'll make another prediction, in another 10 years, the concept of "per GB" pricing will be very similar, something from the past that simply doesn't exist anymore.

Until then, the telcos will go kicking and screaming, trying to extract as much as possible from customers on their way to a "flat rate" price. It'll take time, and it'll probably be a 2nd tier provider who goes first into the "truly unlimited" realm and stays there. Of course, all the majors will eventually have to follow and then, finally, we'll have some reasonable data plans again.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramcneal View Post
    Yup.

Now the search is on for reasonably priced network connections when on the road. Hopefully Musk's new system will deploy on time. Even if it does the system will probably not work for me as the latency will be too high.
    Latency on Starlink will be less than 25ms.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was very disappointed to see the AT&T plan disappear - but as others have said, it was not surprising. I am exactly two months into my plan with mine, and per AT&T's website I have consumed 753.65 GB of data. I have been somewhat rate-limited (around 8-10 Mbps down and up), and at those speeds I have been able to do everything I need to do without interruption. I've still got 10 months to go before I need to find another solution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	23947
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am curious if anyone has tried using a SIM card from T-Mobile in an unlocked TOGO unit. I was told that the monthly fee for a tablet (data only) SIM card would $20.00 for unlimited data IF you have cellular service with them.
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910